PDA

View Full Version : A new outlook

Barnabas75
18-04-17, 22:01
Instead of calling them panic attacks I shall now call them fear experiences. I mean nothing is actually attacking me. My own thoughts have sprirralled is all that has happened and I am now experiencing fear. A set of what ifs, mostly based on lies I am believing. Have not had a really good fear experience in a while and plan to keep it that way. What false concepts trigger the fear experience. Is it true ? If its not true its a lie and I am acting like child. I need to develope mature responses to anything that triggers fear experiences. I am not talking about fear experiences like diving into a shark tank.

Citydeer
20-04-17, 17:28
Instead of calling them panic attacks I shall now call them fear experiences. I mean nothing is actually attacking me. My own thoughts have sprirralled is all that has happened and I am now experiencing fear. A set of what ifs, mostly based on lies I am believing. Have not had a really good fear experience in a while and plan to keep it that way. What false concepts trigger the fear experience. Is it true ? If its not true its a lie and I am acting like child. I need to develope mature responses to anything that triggers fear experiences. I am not talking about fear experiences like diving into a shark tank.

I agree with some of what you're saying, I think it's a great idea to conceptualise panic attacks as "fear experiences" if this can help change the way you respond to them. You are right that the fear exists in our mind and is not a reflection of the true reality, we are not really in danger like the anxiety makes us feel like we are.

However, be careful not to put yourself down - telling yourself you are acting like a child or immature is not helpful to yourself or others in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

florida94
23-04-17, 21:18
I love the way you call them "fear experiences." This is something I truly to do but still struggle with. Sometimes, when you're in that state of anxiety you kind of lose it and you're worried about that whole feeling and you forget that the moment is going to pass.

I once went to a dentist and instead of being all panicky I took a couple of breaths and spoke words of wisdom into my brain. They covered up a majority of my mouth and I was worried sick about the whole thing. I felt like I was losing my mind cuz I couldn't breathe out of my mouth even if I wanted to.

I had to remind myself....."I can breathe through my nose...."

I then left that dentist a new person believing I was more capable of controlling my anxiety than I thought. And I guess therefore, I now see that a sky own fear experience that I overcame.