PDA

View Full Version : Very scared I might get deported

Izukyu
19-04-17, 08:13
This is incredibly difficult to post, but I think I have to tell someone who isn't biased.

I'm an EU citizen, moved to the UK just over 5 years ago but I currently don't have the option to go for a resident card, I didn't know for example that you needed private health insurance for when you're not working/looking for work and I had a 2 month period where I worked as a freelancer which is also not allowed so yeah, I ruined my own chances just like many other EU citizens. And I am really..really worried I'll get deported if I ask for help regarding my anxiety and mental health again..that I'll be seen as nothing but a burden and that they'll deport me, away from my 4 year old who is part British. All my friends live here, I'm still young and spent my entire adult life here. I can't really describe the feeling, but the UK is my home.

I'm scared to post this cause I feel guilty. I didn't come here to benefit from the NHS, or to get money from the government or whatever. I don't have any friends left in my birth country and I left because of how my family treated me. No one believed me back there when I tried to talk about my health and told me to stop worrying and deal with it like a strong woman.

My mental state has been getting worse ever since Brexit, and I haven't slept for weeks. I'm so scared that I'll get deported if I ask for help again, or if I tell anyone that I'm experiencing suicidal thoughts. I'm losing my hair, don't eat and barely drink and I am not sure if everything and everyone is "real', but if I ask for help... I do have to admit that I also have some debt, this was build up over time because of a family court matter and I can see the Home Office thinking I'm a bad person, someone they don't need in this country. I lost my job because of my illness and I'm desperately looking for new work because I honestly feel like the UK is my home and I feel like I proper messed up all my chances of a further life and future here with my child and friends who might as well be my family.

I have to go to an interview now and I'll read replies later.. thanks for reading x

Citydeer
19-04-17, 21:44
This is incredibly difficult to post, but I think I have to tell someone who isn't biased.

I'm an EU citizen, moved to the UK just over 5 years ago but I currently don't have the option to go for a resident card, I didn't know for example that you needed private health insurance for when you're not working/looking for work and I had a 2 month period where I worked as a freelancer which is also not allowed so yeah, I ruined my own chances just like many other EU citizens. And I am really..really worried I'll get deported if I ask for help regarding my anxiety and mental health again..that I'll be seen as nothing but a burden and that they'll deport me, away from my 4 year old who is part British. All my friends live here, I'm still young and spent my entire adult life here. I can't really describe the feeling, but the UK is my home.

I'm scared to post this cause I feel guilty. I didn't come here to benefit from the NHS, or to get money from the government or whatever. I don't have any friends left in my birth country and I left because of how my family treated me. No one believed me back there when I tried to talk about my health and told me to stop worrying and deal with it like a strong woman.

My mental state has been getting worse ever since Brexit, and I haven't slept for weeks. I'm so scared that I'll get deported if I ask for help again, or if I tell anyone that I'm experiencing suicidal thoughts. I'm losing my hair, don't eat and barely drink and I am not sure if everything and everyone is "real', but if I ask for help... I do have to admit that I also have some debt, this was build up over time because of a family court matter and I can see the Home Office thinking I'm a bad person, someone they don't need in this country. I lost my job because of my illness and I'm desperately looking for new work because I honestly feel like the UK is my home and I feel like I proper messed up all my chances of a further life and future here with my child and friends who might as well be my family.

I have to go to an interview now and I'll read replies later.. thanks for reading x

I'm so sorry for the anxiety that brexit is causing you as someone from the EU :-( it must be so stressful not to know for sure what could happen. I am no political expert but from what I understand, the residency status of people from the EU who were living here before brexit (as well as the rights of British people living elsewhere in the EU) are going to be well prioritised in negotiations. It seems like it's a pretty high priority for everyone around the table to ensure that lives don't get torn apart by having to deport law-abiding people who have been legally living in the UK for a long time and have many community ties here. I know it's hard to trust politicians and that there seems to be a lot of instability at the moment, but I honestly think yourself and people like you will be fine. You mention family court, as long as you don't have a criminal record I don't think you have to worry. Same with debt - a lot of people have it.

You should go to your local GP and talk about your rights to treatment under the NHS. There is absolutely no way you will get deported for that! I promise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ocdbaking
19-04-17, 23:18
We've also not left the EU yet, so even if deportations happen, which I doubt will happen in the way you fear, you have plenty of time to get help from the NHS especially for something so important as your mental health.

MyNameIsTerry
20-04-17, 07:04
If the government were found to select people based on their access to health treatment, there would be a pretty enormous uproar from many of us. You will always get the far right wing brigade complaining about how they cost money but it's irrelevant if they are putting in.

I also think that our doctors would be quite against this. The government are always scrutinised when asking to provide patient information.

It's all very much an unknown and I wish the EU had agreed to our PM's request to sort this out earlier, outside of the A50 stuff. This has led to people being seen as a bargaining chip and it's very unfair.

I expect that people who have been here for a time, like yourself, will be allowed to stay. It's more people coming closer to the cut off point.

Think of it this way, we need immigration. It's not going to stop when we exit. It's likely it will continue at a lower rate and the nationalities will change because this is one area where FOM actually discriminates against those outside the EU, which is something I have never agreed with.

Imagine if we sent back hundreds of thousands of working people from the UK into the EU. Who would do their jobs? And all of those businesses will incur costs to recruit as well as the problems it causes them in the interim. Will they seriously allow the government to act like that? I can't see it.

The world is watching. There are many prominent people who don't even want to leave the EU. We have a good legal system that will overrule the government, if needed. They will all look towards fighting anything or protecting those who need it.

Please don't let it stop you accessing the help you need. This isn't like moving to a country with a points system, you are already here and that means a commitment to help you.

Speranza
20-04-17, 07:46
So, so sorry to hear this. My daughter and her French partner moved here a year ago and I understand the anxiety. (I was someone who sobbed for days after the vote!)

If it wouldn't go against the grain too much, can I suggest that you look around for a café which is run by people from a local church? They are places you can go and ask for a quiet chat. If you aren't a believer in God, that doesn't matter. True Christians will be there for you and you will feel the support of 'family'.

(If you pm me and tell me where you are, I might know somewhere).

I think the main thing is the feeling alone. At least my daughter's partner has English family around him.

Everything people have said above is true. And of course you have 'family' on here. Please keep talking to us.

Izukyu
20-04-17, 16:46
Thanks for all of your replies, guys. I really appreciate them. I also spoke to Samaritans because, as Speranza said, it's pretty difficult dealing with this on my own at the moment.

But I'm very glad I joined this forum and I am now in the progress of seeing my GP and getting help (but they don't have any appointments available until May) :)

Citydeer
20-04-17, 17:15
Thanks for all of your replies, guys. I really appreciate them. I also spoke to Samaritans because, as Speranza said, it's pretty difficult dealing with this on my own at the moment.

But I'm very glad I joined this forum and I am now in the progress of seeing my GP and getting help (but they don't have any appointments available until May) :)

That's great that you have an appointment to see your GP! A very positive step. Getting involved with the Samaritans too is another good idea. Just remember there are lots of people who feel the same anxiety you do over this issue so you are not alone and there is lots of support out there.

Izukyu
30-04-17, 16:29
So I can't get an appointment until the 2nd of June. Just shows how busy it is around here. I might see if I could go to a walk-in if possible and not too busy, but I've seen people with colds going to a walk-in session so I guess I'll be alright?

Citydeer
30-04-17, 17:27
So I can't get an appointment until the 2nd of June. Just shows how busy it is around here. I might see if I could go to a walk-in if possible and not too busy, but I've seen people with colds going to a walk-in session so I guess I'll be alright?

Yes good idea to try a walk in centre, also sometimes if you call your normal medical centre in the morning or right before they close they can offer earlier cancellation appointments. The uk mental health charity Mind provides counselling services too I believe