PDA

View Full Version : Memory Problems caused by HA?

Ben1989
19-04-17, 08:50
Anybody experience this?

I find that my memory is really poor since having HA (it wasn't the best before that anyway).

The other day I forgot the word for 'alcoholic' (we were in Wetherspoons at the time :D). I think that was more of a moment where randomly you forget a simple word, though.

But what I'm finding more is memory issues probably related to concentration. You can tell me something and I can just tell that my brain is not absorbing it. For example, I drive past a new Italian restaurant every day from work but I can never remember the name. It's like my brain doesn't make the effort to remember it as I'll forget it 60 seconds later

I have no issues with my job because it's second nature.

Does anybody else experience this?

Chris 614
19-04-17, 11:17
Ugh, yes! When I am going through bouts of anxiety, my brain is a sieve! I feel sure that there must be something terribly wrong with my memory. I'm going through that now. We become so preoccupied with our health issues that there is no room for anything else. Anxiety does that though. I actually talked to my therapist about this a few weeks ago and he said it's completely normal.

Stu1980
19-04-17, 15:36
Brain fog - absolutely! When my anxiety is bad, my brain turns to mush. I can't thing of the names of everyday things. Could also be a side effect of your medication if you take any. I take Fluoxetine 20mg and that's infamous for fogging the brain up!

Ben1989
19-04-17, 15:53
I don't take medication but very interesting (and reassuring) to hear that it's not just me!

Mindprison
19-04-17, 18:25
Hi Ben

My memory is absolutely atrocious when i'm in the middle of an anxiety flare up. It got so bad I had to buy one of those pill boxes and set 3 alarms on my phone to remind me if i'd taken my medication that day! :D

You're not alone, just part of having the beast that is anxiety!

swajj
20-04-17, 10:14
I found this for you Ben. You might find it interesting. It was written by a retired neurologist who used to come here. I've read every one of his posts (some more than once lol). He isn't around anymore and some people might be annoyed with me keeping him "alive" but you get that. :winks:

It's critical to understand that in order for short-term memory to occur, you must be able to attend to the stimulus. This process is often interrupted by cognitive ruminations which impede the ability to naturally attend in such a manner to create memory formation. Health anxiety is generally quite pervasive and often produces vigilance that is distractive in nature.

Realize that active memory can be impeded by distraction and consumption of worries about one's health. It's critical to understand that memory degradation by neurodegenerative disease is, unlike memory interference, quite unique in that one of the hallmark characteristics of such disease is the manifestation of anosognosia, or the inability to perceive that a problem with cognition exists. There are other constitutional signs of neurodegenerative diseases that include dementia which must be present. You make no mention of any such symptoms.

Word substitution is not a sign of dementia at all, but rather a sign of interference.

You can take a breath and relax. There is absolutely nothing here to suggest that you are in any way being affected by a neurological disease of any kind. I would, however, be interested in why you believe that OCD has "robbed" you of years of memory. If you don't mind, please elaborate to whatever extent you feel comfortable in sharing precisely what characteristics led to your diagnosis of OCD.

Your memory will improve if you initiate the habit of mentally pausing before undertaking important tasks to attend to certain actions and thoughts necessary to form working memory, also taking steps to assertively turn off the ruminative thoughts which are interfering with your ability to concentrate on the tasks at hand. You'll be pleasantly surprised by the results.

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

Like me you may think that you weren't even anxious when you were driving past that restaurant. But HA is 24/7, even when you sleep.

MyNameIsTerry
20-04-17, 14:15
Serotonin is involved in memory with certain other neurotransmitters. We are often low on Serotonin. Therefore we experience cognitive issues.

I can say I've had many memory recall issues due to my anxiety. My last job required having a good memory and I was often either complimented on my recall of code level information or regulatory guidance that plenty used to take the micky too.

Then I suffer anxiety and find myself struggling to recall a word. I find my maths ability greatly hampered, and maths was a good area for me and needed in my job, I struggle with concentration, etc.

Anyone who's had brain fog knows how you struggle to think.

Not so long ago I was having a period of brain fog, got distracted at a self service till by a woman behind me asking me a question, and walked straight out without completing the payment step! I got half way across the car park before realising this.

But even without anxiety, memory recall problems are commonly experienced by everyone. Sometimes you just seem to have a mental block with a word or name. I used to have that with one or two words despite being fine spelling more complex ones.

Ben1989
20-04-17, 15:16
Both very interesting posts.

Swajj, what was the neurologists username? Extremely kind of them to spend time on this forum helping people.

And Terry I totally agree. My brain just wouldn't allow itself to even absorb the information. I could tell. It was the opposite of a sponge.

swajj
21-04-17, 01:09
If you got to search, advanced search and type in RLR in username you will find all his posts. Make sure that you click on the option to search for posts not threads. You don't have to type anything in the search field but if you don't it will bring up all of RLR's posts. His understanding of HA was unmatched. I just wish I could have found a real life doctor or psychiatrist who understood HA the way RLR did. I think I would have recovered a lot sooner.

MyNameIsTerry
21-04-17, 04:58
That's how I felt, Ben, it just wouldn't go in. I would be working out a load of things I had purchased, deducting some bits, etc and I would be staring at the receipts thinking "I just can't get this".

Ben1989
21-04-17, 10:41
swajj, did RLR just stop posting or did he pass away etc? I realise his postings were some years ago. I've gone through his posts and I am very impressed and feel that people were extremely lucky to get his expert advice for free on a forum in his own time.

swajj
21-04-17, 11:00
He had his own forum Ben. One day he just stopped posting. We all waited for him to come back and when weeks turned into months (now years) we concluded he was on this Earth no more. He was well into his 90s so that was a big clue. ��

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

No his forum no longer exists in case you are wondering. People were extremely lucky to have him devote his time to their concerns. If you sent him a personal message he would always answer you. He helped me get some perspective. I still read his posts because he makes so much sense.

Ben1989
21-04-17, 12:49
It sounds like he may have unfortunately passed away.

Very logical thinker and he just oozes complete trust from his posts.