PDA

View Full Version : The simply pleasant things to be mindful about

Hopsicle
30-04-07, 11:34
I recently started a course learning all about mindfulness and the three main relaxation techniques that it involes

This week its one of our tasks to make a diary of all the simple pleasant things that we experience/notice in a day – theyre the small things that make a big difference J hearing the birds singing in the trees, smiling at a funny comment that a little child makes, having a nice cup of tea, getting a good hug from a friend/relative :yesyes:

The anxiety and panic doesn’t want us to experience these things – always focusing on the negative and all the bad things that might happen :wacko:

I thought it would be nice for us to share the pleasant things that happen J - mindfulness is about putting your mind where your body is and actually turning up for your life! :hugs:

Jimbo
30-04-07, 13:55
Hi,

I've just recently been doing mindfulness and I've found it so useful.

Just taking the time to observe things rather than trying to block things out as I have always done in the past with anxiety and panic.

For example making a cup of tea, just listening to the sounds of the kettle boiling, how the water looks as I pour it, the patterns the tea makes in the cup as it brews.

The important thing I have found is that you will get distracted and other thoughts will enter your mind but the important thing is to be non-judgemental about those thoughts and just allow them to pass over you. Just accepting that you feel suddenly scared or sad and not judging that thought or seeing it as bad or good.

The more you practise, the easier it gets and the less distractions you get. Puts your mind back into a more rational way of dealing with your thoughts.

I also now have an object to practise my mindfuulness with, that I can just observe and look at. Now I can carry that object with me and when I find my thoughts are getting out of control I can hold the object and it allows me to find some focus and objectiveness about my thoughts.

Good luck,

Jim :hugs:

darkangel
30-04-07, 17:15
Hi

I also practice mindfulness and yes its appreciating and taking time out to notice things that we wouldnt normally maybe see there. I live overlooking a canal and this morning when I opened my blinds, the family of swans were just outside my window - it made a good start to my day and brought a smile to my face. For a moment my mind was drawn to them and it was so peaceful and pleasant.

Living with anxiety we are so aware of the negative feelings and thoughts and yet if we stop and look around and listen there is lots to draw our attention. It is like noticing that a feeling is there, acknowleding it but not getting drawn into it - just let it pass cos in a moment it will be replaced by another thought or image.

I have mentioned this on other threads, a book I love is "A gradual awakening" by stephen levine.

Luv darkangel x

Southern_Belle
30-04-07, 18:42
Hi,

I too try this right before I go to sleep I think of at least three good things regarding my life and what I am grateful for and I do the same thing before I get out of bed. This puts me in a good state of mind before I sleep and before I start my day. I find this helps me.

Laura :)

hoppipolla
01-05-07, 13:52
i have never really heard of this technique before but it sounds nice, maybe i should try it today :)

i love natural, beautiful things but with anxiety i find less and less time to enjoy them and more to worry and stress and things. Maybe i can try to turn that round :)

Jimbo
01-05-07, 17:13
It is a fantastic technique, here's a good explanation of where it comes from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness

A good way to start is to find an object perhaps a stone or pebble. Just spend a few minutes simply observing it, feel it in your hands and how it feels, look at absolutely every detail of it and try to focus your mind on only that.

Your mind will wander and there will be a lot of thoughts that pop into your head distracting you, that's what minds do. The trick is to allow those thoughts to come but just let them slip through your mind as if you had a teflon coated mind. Don't judge them or see those thoughts or good or bad, just allow them to pass then go back to focusing on the object.

You can then apply this technique to anything, walking down the street perhaps. Just be aware of everything around you, the feel of the ground under your feet, the people walking by, the smells in the air, the sounds of cars passing. When a distracting thought comes just allow it to enter your mind and then pass by without evaluating it. Stay away from fair and unfair, right and wrong, should and should not, etc. Just let go of those distractions and if you find you have judged them, don't judge that you are judging.:winks:

Good luck,

Jim

Hannahlou84
03-05-07, 01:24
Thanks for sharing the link- I will definitely look into this.