PDA

View Full Version : Interesting - twitching muscles

NancyW
20-04-17, 01:33
I listened to a whole discussion on sirius radio this evening on the Dr. Channel.

The gist of it was, patients are getting muscles twitches all over their bodies, including tongue, lips, and also some have issues swallowing.

The culprit?

Cholesterol medications.

This was super interesting to me because these medications are so common now and so are the muscle twitching symptoms.

Wanted to share in the event it could help anyone out there who's suffering.

MyNameIsTerry
20-04-17, 03:14
Thanks Nancy, it's always worth knowing other possible causes to eliminate.

Without me looking it up first, did they outline why these meds do this?

Sadly many meds come with problems, blood pressure meds are a good example of that. My mum has spent years with them experimenting with them to find the right one and it has bought her many annoying side effects, some so problematic as to mean a change.

It's a different challenge with anxiety, people like my mum find it irritating but deal with it like any other physical complaint.

NancyW
20-04-17, 03:48
They did not get into why.. but they talked a lot about medications and side affects.

That even if a specific side affect was not listed as known, it can be a side affect for some.

My mom had similar issues with blood pressure meds. Loads of side affects, very frustrating for her.

Knowing why ... is soothing to my HA, if I can pin the symptom to a cause that is not life threatening, I'm golden.

MyNameIsTerry
20-04-17, 06:52
With statins our NHS has got peripheral neuropathy in the 1-100 range but that's tingling the hands & feet. Diabetes can cause that one too.

I remember my mum being put on statins when they first came out. She suffered loads of pain with it. She was sent to a physio who did a deep tissue massage. Ever since she had to walk with a stick. Well done NHS!

I agree, it's better to know as you can do something. The uncertainty is gone, you can stop searching and try to accept it. There's often some relief in finding out something, even the non anxious experience the relief of just getting an answer.

It's frustrating that our mum's get experimented on to find what works. It's often like that with antidepressants too.