PDA

View Full Version : Flashes in Peripheral Vision at Night

Apothael
20-04-17, 02:14
So in my room, when the lights are off, if I turn my head from side to side I get a half moon dim flash of light at each side of my vision. When I'm doing this I also notice my neck seems to be squelching.

Could this be due to stress or should I get it checked out? I had an eye test at the beginning of last month and I checked out fine. My optician said the problems I was having back then were due to stress and after that the problems I was having gave way to slight double vision.

So here I am a month later after the worst of my symptoms. The double vision never went away, but has gotten a little better and does seem worse when I am more anxious, and I was getting dizzy spells a lot but they seem to be getting better and less severe.

My mind did really weird things, like gave me phantom smells which fed into my fear of a tumour or other neurological disorder but those have gone too so It's not a huge leap to think I'm still suffering from psychosomatic symptoms but every time something new comes a long it seems like this is the "real" thing.

I do feel a lot better than I did a month ago - but am still scared. Thanks for reading.

NancyW
20-04-17, 03:15
Not sure of your age but mine is from vitreous detachment. Normal, aging eye. Slight risk of retinal tear, got to see the Opthamologist if I get a dark shade over vision or a shower of light flashes.

Been 1 1/2 years without incident.

Fishmanpa
20-04-17, 12:59
Can I ask why you're self testing such a thing? I ask because I don't know of anyone that would lay in bed and turn their head side to side rapidly checking for abnormalities :huh: It would seem to me that doing something we don't naturally do on a regular basis would cause an unusual physical reaction.

Positive thoughts

Apothael
20-04-17, 15:55
It happened naturally as I was walking over to my bed after turning the lights off, so I posted here immediately and then went to bed. I only shook my head in an attempt to replicate it, and succeeded.

It did seem to get better after a while though, and eventually faded so I'm wondering if it may have been to do with the fact that I'm much more sensitive to afterimages lately and I was on the computer for a while before bed.

It's not hard to rationally go through what could have led to such a thing, but the HA also makes it easy to stumble back into the line of thinking that was giving me panic attacks back in March.

I'm trying to wean myself off support here and Doctor's visits but I haven't felt myself since February and am wondering what would count as a "Red Flag" even though I'm probably fine.

I'm just terrified of waking up one morning with something debilitating, and the thought of waiting for that is scary too.

Anyway thanks for responding. In regards to PVD I'm pretty young so I don't think that is the case. My eye has been checked by two Opticians, though that was a month and a half ago.

countrygirl
20-04-17, 17:57
If you have any short sightendness then sudden movement of eyes in the dark will produce flashes on edge of vision. I am partially sighted with severe eye conditions so sadly well educated!
As has been said if you are middle aged ( over 50) and get this then it could be from normal vitreous detachment that come with age but its wise to get it checked out ( rarely is there a problem).

DrG00GLE
20-04-17, 23:15
Have your doctor look for vitreous detachment. Have it for about a year and have similar symptoms

roseanxiety
21-04-17, 03:14
Me too. I've had it in one eye for about 8 months now. Eye doctor said it was normal .