PDA

View Full Version : need reassurance

helenclaire
30-04-07, 12:29
hi, i am new here but really need some help, i have been suffering from anxiety/agoraphobia on and off for several years. i spend alot of time at home on my own and find myself constantly worrying about my symptoms.my main fear is fainting and start feeling ill just thinking about it. this has stopped me driving and going out without my husband. i just wish somebody could explain why these symptoms are happening to me. i start to feel hot/sick and light headed and i am constantly telling myself this is it, this time i am really going to faint although i never had. not a day goes by when i dont feel like this, i feel so alone like i am the only one that sufferers from this. please can anyone reassure me that this not going to happen. thanks:unsure:

honeybee3939
30-04-07, 13:05
Hi Helen and welcome to NMP, its lovely to see you here, i hope we can be of some help.:)

I could have wrote this post myself a year or so ago, so i can understand just how you are feeling as my main fear is the feeling i am going to pass out.:ohmy:
I was wondering if you have had any help for this e.g meds or CBT? its sounds like the CBT could be benificial to you so may be you could mention it to your GP.
You say you spend alot of time at home, to be honest i was exactly the same and it didnt help me one bit, all i did was worry and eventually became housebound. The key is Helen in my opinion is to try and occupy yourself try and do things to keep your mind occupied away from the terrible thoughts of panic. Have you any hobbies etc. or could you maybe join any local Social Groups in your area, or may be try some voluntary work, anything i geuss that will help you get out of the house.
You have to try and remember that its only your thoughts that make you feel like this and thoughts can not hurt you hun.

Theres some great advice also on the NMP site which im sure will help you too.:)
Take a look at the Symptoms, How to Cope and First Step Pages that are sittuated at the left hand side of this page.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

belle
30-04-07, 14:00
Hi there and welcome :)

I can relate to what you have written. I feel exactly like you. I am agoraphobic and i'm unable to drive alone.

Like you i start feeling sick and lightheaded then i begin to panic because i know i have got to somehow get home without something horrendous happening.

I hope you get the support you need..

Sarah x

helenclaire
30-04-07, 14:10
hi, thanks for reply it helps to know i am not the only one who feels this way. I did recieve cbt several years ago, and felt better for a while but could not get rid of these horrible thoughts and feelings. I would love to get out and do things but feel bad just thinking about it. Maybe i will go back to GP. Really need to do something as i am feeling really low at the moment, and would love to be out enjoying the sunshine:shades:

estha
05-05-07, 11:36
Hi I am going through the exact same symptoms right now so I can reassure you ,its not just you.Its aweful isnt it,I have to go out with my husband too and I find it difficult to go out alone.can I ask How old are you ,I am 46 and I am thinking it could be hormonal ? Doctor has put me on antidepressants and I am having some CBT treatment at our local clinic,like going back to school Lol!! I am usually in the lounge chatting ,I am new also.

Southern_Belle
05-05-07, 22:29
Hi Helenclaire,

Welcome to NMP. As you have already found you will find many people here who will support you. There is also alot of information here and you will make many new friends.

Laura :)

helenclaire
06-05-07, 15:22
hi estha, thankyou for your time, i still cannot believe other people feel as bad as i do. In reply to your question i am 41 years old but have had suffered from anxiety/agoraphobia for about 7 years. I did feel better for a while but it is back again. I do not like going to the doctors as they do not seem to understand so i try and battle on the best that i can, i just hate having to rely on my husband to go places it seems so unfair, but i do not know how to overcome it. helen:shrug:

prism
06-05-07, 16:18
Hi Helenclaire,
you are so not alone,i have the same problems and symptoms for 16 years and not fainted once.All this fear of fainting can be beaten.
What has helped me is "so what if i faint".The only thing is is i will be on the floor breathing properly.Thinking like this has lessened the fear of fainting by about 90%.:yesyes:
I hope this helps as it helped me,
prism :D

Pink Princess
06-05-07, 20:41
hey, welcome to the site. you will geta lot of support and advice here and make good friends too. take kare and hope to talk soon xxxx

nomorepanic
08-05-07, 21:50
Hi Helen

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.