PDA

View Full Version : Need Urgent Advice!

Fergggg
20-04-17, 12:04
Hey guys,

So I've been off work for three weeks (a busy cafe) because of very bad panic attacks. I've been avoiding work as it's one of my biggest triggers although I love everyone inside there (everyone is aware of my panic disorder & have been really supportive). I got a call last night asking if I could come in after the lunch rush and just help close the place up (2:30PM - 5PM). I was feeling fine about it last night but now I'm feeling a big wave of panic coming. I want to go in (and I need the money for my therapist) but I'm terrified I'll panic.

I have 2mg tablets of Diazepam so I was going to split one and take it now, to ease off the tension. Is this a bad idea? I know it's a really, really low dose, so I think I'll be okay (it's 11AM right now).

HELP!

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 ----------

So it's 12 now so I decided to take the 1MG half and do some breathing exercises. Waiting for it to kick in now. For some reason the idea of even taking it was really freaking me out?!

Citydeer
20-04-17, 17:23
Hey guys,

So I've been off work for three weeks (a busy cafe) because of very bad panic attacks. I've been avoiding work as it's one of my biggest triggers although I love everyone inside there (everyone is aware of my panic disorder & have been really supportive). I got a call last night asking if I could come in after the lunch rush and just help close the place up (2:30PM - 5PM). I was feeling fine about it last night but now I'm feeling a big wave of panic coming. I want to go in (and I need the money for my therapist) but I'm terrified I'll panic.

I have 2mg tablets of Diazepam so I was going to split one and take it now, to ease off the tension. Is this a bad idea? I know it's a really, really low dose, so I think I'll be okay (it's 11AM right now).

HELP!

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 ----------

So it's 12 now so I decided to take the 1MG half and do some breathing exercises. Waiting for it to kick in now. For some reason the idea of even taking it was really freaking me out?!

Is that the same as Valium? If so, 1mg is literally nothing and I would be shocked if you get any benefit. You should take the whole 2mg tablet rather than breaking it in half (if your doctor has okay'd this)

Just to give you some perspective, for most people a minimum dose to get any benefit is 5mg. I find this does the trick for me if I feel an attack coming on. A lot of people take 10mg. If you are not getting any benefit from your 2mg maybe find out from your GP if you can increase to 5mg. Please remember these are not medications that are meant to be used for more than a few weeks at a time though as they can be addictive. You might be better off getting onto a daily anti depressant - again, see your GP.

I hope you can make it into work, or else that your employer will continue to be sympathetic. Try to remember that our fears are always worse than the reality. Start therapy if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fergggg
20-04-17, 20:02
Is that the same as Valium? If so, 1mg is literally nothing and I would be shocked if you get any benefit. You should take the whole 2mg tablet rather than breaking it in half (if your doctor has okay'd this)

Just to give you some perspective, for most people a minimum dose to get any benefit is 5mg. I find this does the trick for me if I feel an attack coming on. A lot of people take 10mg. If you are not getting any benefit from your 2mg maybe find out from your GP if you can increase to 5mg. Please remember these are not medications that are meant to be used for more than a few weeks at a time though as they can be addictive. You might be better off getting onto a daily anti depressant - again, see your GP.

I hope you can make it into work, or else that your employer will continue to be sympathetic. Try to remember that our fears are always worse than the reality. Start therapy if you can.

Thanks for the advice! :)

I took the 1mg and walked to work, the walk took an hour and by the time I got there I felt a little anxious but not bad. I breezed through the day too! It was a really positive experience, got a lot of work done, earned some money so I'm feeling great! :D

I don't know if it was my deep breathing exercises, a placebo effect with the 1mg or what, but whatever it was gave me the confidence to stroll right in there and get the work done!

meant2live
20-04-17, 20:18
I'm so glad you had a good experience at work. Hopefully, they'll help you in the future.

Whenever I am anxious about an upcoming situation or event, I try to ask myself what I'm actually afraid will happen. Then I go through all of my fears and convince myself that they probably won't happen.

Citydeer
20-04-17, 21:57
Thanks for the advice! :)

I took the 1mg and walked to work, the walk took an hour and by the time I got there I felt a little anxious but not bad. I breezed through the day too! It was a really positive experience, got a lot of work done, earned some money so I'm feeling great! :D

I don't know if it was my deep breathing exercises, a placebo effect with the 1mg or what, but whatever it was gave me the confidence to stroll right in there and get the work done!

That is fantastic news! I'm so happy for you. You should be very proud of yourself and it goes to show that you are able to control your anxiety all on your own. Keep up with your breathing exercises, bravery at confronting your fears and walking, and it sounds like you won't have to rely on medication at all!

Fergggg
21-04-17, 20:56
Thanks for the kind words, gang! :)

Unfortunately late in the AM last night I woke up and had a devastating panic attack, one that curled my hands and feet (that hasn't happened in years). I'm not sure what happened and why, I just woke up with racing thoughts and heart at about 5:30AM. Pretty shook from it, unfortunately. I just felt, in that immediate moment, like I was losing my mind.

I'm not sure was it exposure to work/the 1mg diazepam/a beer I had after work (about 8 hours after I took the 1mg) or just a random attack. It sucked though...and after I was feeling so good. :weep:

jamiebythesea
21-04-17, 21:35
the diazepam is such a small dose Ferggg it shouldn't have that kind of effect...just one of those bad turns I'd say....you got through the day that was a big YESSSS...concentrate on that :yesyes:

Fergggg
21-04-17, 22:16
the diazepam is such a small dose Ferggg it shouldn't have that kind of effect...just one of those bad turns I'd say....you got through the day that was a big YESSSS...concentrate on that :yesyes:

That's true! :) Didn't get any sleep so climbing into bed there now, took a 2mg tablet just to help me sleep, so here's hoping it works!