PDA

View Full Version : Being referred biopsy for Mark inside cheek scared now!

lily1
20-04-17, 16:59
My dentist rung me today and said he is going to refer me to ENT to have the mark inside my cheek biopsied.

He said it looked ok at my appointment but asked a second opinion from someone in oral care and has now decided to refer me!

Does this mean I've got something bad? :((

tillyyy
20-04-17, 17:06
I would assume it's just a precaution and its probably nothing. He will be getting a second opinion as it's not his field of work. It's better to get it checked as if it is anything (although I doubt it will be) it's better to catch it early than leave it. Many things are easily treatable so I'm sure you will be fine.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Leslie735
20-04-17, 17:36
Praying all goes well! I had to have a biopsy on my breast back in November. I was terrified! It came back completely benign. Yours will too! *hugs*

Fishmanpa
20-04-17, 17:37
It means he's doing his job (CYA MEDICINE - cover your arse).

Again, if it helps... having as long as you have and it not progressing nor other symptoms manifesting themselves bodes quite well.

Positive thoughts

countrygirl
20-04-17, 17:54
Uk dentists will always refer you to hospital for second opinions. My aunty had to go to hospital for a lump on her tongue found at a dental check up. She had biopsy and all was fine but her dentist was doing his job by referring her. Remember they see bad things so if he thinks this is ok then it almost certainly will be but he would not be doing is job if he didn't refer you.

lily1
20-04-17, 19:25
Thank you everyone you are a fantastic support! I'm petrified!

Me being an anxious person also went to another dentist too and he told me it was just blood vessels and not mouth cancer but my other dentist is referring me and I'm glad really as its better to know what it is.

I was told its 4mm in size so it's not that big at the moment.

I think it's the fact he has referred me that makes me think I'm doomed!

I'm trying to not worry but he said it could take 8 weeks for the appointment there is nothing I can do until then should I just enjoy myself until then?

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

It means he's doing his job (CYA MEDICINE - cover your arse).

Again, if it helps... having as long as you have and it not progressing nor other symptoms manifesting themselves bodes quite well.

Positive thoughts

I think so.. Because I mentioned mouth cancer too to him he may have thought it needs checking just in case. It's better to be sure it's done now I need to go x

Fishmanpa
20-04-17, 19:42
If for any reason he thought this was sinister, you wouldn't be waiting 8 weeks I assure you! From the time my doctor suspected OC, I had a CT with contrast within a day and was at the ENT within a week! They don't mess around if they think something's up so if this is an 8 week wait, it's definitely CYA medicine ;)

Positive thoughts

lily1
21-04-17, 00:17
Thank you again.

He said it could be up to 8 weeks. He wanted to get the ball rolling though before my next appointment which is beginning of May that's why he phoned me.

He didn't want to leave it.

Thank you for your advice it's appreciated.

I think it's because he called me the day after my appointment it's made me nervous x

lily1
27-04-17, 18:37
I've got my appointment for ENT already just outside of two weeks from when my dentist said he was referring me.

I'm scared now as not only is he referring me its come through really quickly! That must mean I have something bad to biopsy :(

Fishmanpa
27-04-17, 18:41
! That must mean I have something bad to biopsy :(

That must mean he just happened to have an earlier opening or cancellation.

Positive thoughts

lily1
27-04-17, 18:43
That must mean he just happened to have an earlier opening or cancellation.

Positive thoughts

I hope that is the reason yes!

ScaredLizard
27-04-17, 18:43
I've got my appointment for ENT already just outside of two weeks from when my dentist said he was referring me.

I'm scared now as not only is he referring me its come through really quickly! That must mean I have something bad to biopsy :(

As Fishmanpa says they've had a cancellation or an opening come up. Don't be scared. The dentist says it looked fine! He's just being cautious

lily1
27-04-17, 19:47
Thank you, he said he thought it was blood vessels but got a second opinion and referred me.

I'm finding it hard to be positive though.

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

On the positive side before I panic totally! It's been there for about 6 months hasn't got massively bigger and another dentist thinks it's blood vessels so the odds are a little in my favour.

The trouble is I worry if I think positively as I worry it tempts fate :/

ScaredLizard
27-04-17, 22:29
Thank you, he said he thought it was blood vessels but got a second opinion and referred me.

I'm finding it hard to be positive though.

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

On the positive side before I panic totally! It's been there for about 6 months hasn't got massively bigger and another dentist thinks it's blood vessels so the odds are a little in my favour.

The trouble is I worry if I think positively as I worry it tempts fate :/

My grandmother had a spot in her mouth and saw an oncologist who told her 'Oh think of it like a strawberry birth mark inside your mouth.' And she's fine!

You'll be ok! Thinking positively won't tempt fate! It will calm you down. :) Have you tried any mindfulness or meditation type things? Might help you get into a better head space

lily1
27-04-17, 23:06
Thank you for taking the trouble to calm me down I really appreciate everyone's help.

I am trying desperately not to google, that won't change anything!
Keeping busy with work and looking on selling sites.

The only thing I can't stop is keep looking at it in the mirror convincing myself it's grown that's what I can't stop doing.

Glad your grandma is ok

unsure_about_this
28-04-17, 08:55
Dentist only doing their job, referring for a 2nd opinion,

lily1
28-04-17, 16:12
Dentist only doing their job, referring for a 2nd opinion,

He spoke to a college who does oral medicine. That's when he decided to refer me after he spoke about the mark in my mouth that's why I'm worried as they think the worse I'm sure :/

lily1
02-05-17, 16:41
I'm having an off day today, I'm petrified about my biopsy next week. What can I do to calm down and how am I going to cope waiting for results! :( I'm so anxious

lily1
10-05-17, 19:13
Biopsy tomorrow petrified :(

NancyW
10-05-17, 19:18
Biopsy tomorrow petrified :(

There's only one way out now and that's right through the front door..

I feel where you're at as pure torture. (ugh, I've been there too)

Thankfully most often it all turns out ok.

Can you do some busy work? Go for a long brisk walk to burn off some of the nerves?

lily1
10-05-17, 20:17
Thankyou.

I may go out and have a walk or watch something I like on TV.

You're right, worrying won't change anything! Hopefully it will be ok..