PDA

View Full Version : Ectopic query

beadbabe
30-04-07, 13:36
Okay I have been having these ectopic beats for nearly a year now and they are worse than ever. Has anyone had them and they have gone away? I don't know if I can cope with these for life. I am desperately hoping there will be some people out there who can say, I used to have these, they have gone away now.

I thought I felt ill before just with constant dizzy head but with this on top, I feel almost incapacitated. It doesn't seem to matter how much relaxation or trying to ignore it they always rear themselves.

I have at least one run per minute and frankly they are ruining my life because I can't do anything like gardening or bending over because that make them worse and almost constant. Like a really bad spell of them comes on that just goes on and on. Does anyone else experience this with them? ie basically have them all the time but sometimes they are even worse than the usual.

Jaco45er
30-04-07, 17:38
Hi Bead

I assume you have been check out by a doc and told Ectopics are in most cases, harmless (not that this news helps).

I have ectopics on and off, that terrible feeling like you are in a lift that stops suddenly or a thud to the chest.

I did find however, that coffee seemed to aggravate it, so I swtched to herbal teas (they take some getting used to, it looks like sweeping's off the floor in a teabag) and I seemed to get them less.

I have heard that coughing makes them go away (I am sure someone posted that on here).

Tiredness and alcohol can be factors too, but if they really are bothering you this much, go back to the GP, he maybe able to offer a med (beta blockers possibly, but as always people should talk to a GP about meds).

Remember though, ectopics are very common, and even the fittest of people get them.

Good Luck

Jaco

beadbabe
30-04-07, 18:07
Thanks for your reply... I have been checked out. I don't do caffeine or alcohol or chocolate. I can't avoid tiredness or stress (young kids), but because these ectopics only set in since panic attacks and anxiety barged unwanted into my life I am concerned that I have now in a way 'broken' my heart by not being able to recover.

Can ectopics ever go away once you have them? I didn't think it was possible to ruin your health forever with anxiety and panic (at least that's what you read over and over)

Jaco45er
30-04-07, 18:45
Its just a sympton of anxiety really. Unfortunately its one of the symptoms that tends to feed anxiety, like a viscous circle, anxiety can lead to eptopics/palps which feed anxiety.

I wonder if the anxiety was tackled, the ectopics would finish? easily said I know but sometimes looking at problems differently can help.

Jaco

P.S. To my knowledge, a panic attack never lead to a broken heart, just feels like it, so I would not be concerned with thoughts of damage to your heart.

pageste
01-05-07, 21:11
Ive had a torrid time with ectopics for about a year, times where Ive been reduced to tears because I was so scared of them.Ive been told they are harmless and common and all part of my anxiety issues and I didnt believe a word of it. However having entered a period where I am slightly more relaxed and possibly slightly less stressed I suddenly have nowhere near the number of ectopics that I was having. I still get the blighters when I get excited or when I am exercising but maybe I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I dont think for one moment ive seen the last of them but maybe there is hope for us all ?

beadbabe
02-05-07, 12:58
Thank you - that is a little bit of hope because so far mine have been getting worse and worse - more frequent eg. longer runs of them and very short runs of normal beats in between. I am worrying that they are just going to get worse and worse until I have no normal heart beats over time. I have had them for nearly a year now and in that time they have just got worse. But if only I could get anxiety under control

ro44
02-05-07, 19:31
Beadbabe,

You might keep a journal and see if there is a pattern that makes your "skips' worse. Everybody has different triggers. I have had these for over 17 years. If I eat in the evening late and then lay down, mine get bad. I try to make a rule not to eat after 7:00. It's really hard to do but like last night I ate late and paid for it big time!

I wish I could tell you that they will go away complelely. I know my sister used to have them bad, years ago. She rarely has them now. I have them daily and I guess gotten use to them. However, at night when they get really bad and really close together they do still scare me and take my breath away. Try to see if you have any triggers. You say you don't do caffeine. I know that sets some people off. For me it seems like the worst triggers are stress, anxiety and indigestion. Remember, if you've had them checked out and they are pvc's then don't worry. I know that's hard to do. Believe me, I've been there. I used to say that they were ruining my life. Don't let them ruin yours or steal your joy. They are harmless, a BIG NUISANCE but harmless. You're heart is just overstimulated and trying to get back to a normal rythmn. It won't stop beating. Nature is working to calm it down. The more you get scared, the more adrenaline is released and the worse they will become. Some people choose to go on beta blockers for them. My mom did and she has a nice steady beat now. I chose not to go that route but it is an option for some.

Hang in there,

Ro

sarad
02-05-07, 20:10
I too have had constant ectopic heartbeats for some time but after a visit to accident and emergency discovered from an ECG that there may be a prolonged qt interval caused by electrical problems- other than palpitations and ectopic heartbeats I don't have other symptoms. Could anxiety be the cause - I'm finding it hard to deal with the stress of not knowing the cause.
Has anyone else had the same problem?

Jinkus
02-05-07, 22:56
Hi All,

I have had these sh*tty ectopics now for coming up to two years, & in all fairness they scare me as much today as they did when they first started. I just cope with them better now.

Mine came out of the blue after a couple of months of chest pain, the pain went away and the ectopics started and havnt stopped since, i have had every test imagineable, ECGs, 24 Hour tapes, holter monitors, bloods, stress test, barium meal, x rays, the list goes on and on. apparently apart from some excess fluid round the heart everyting is normal and there just skipped beats. The problem i have understanding is i lived my life up until two years ectopic free so what i have i done or whats changed in my body thats caused the ectopics to start, i never suffered from anxiety before, so if that is the cause why have i suddenly developed anxiety issues. I still have not yet found the answer.

Im a 23 year old male, with no family history issues, im slighty overweight, i enjoy a drink, and i smoke. I have tried cutting out alcohol and caffiene and loosing weight all of which helped a great deal, the ectopics dropped by 60% and i was having loads every day. I have now started drinking and smoking again and could do with loosing a few pounds and the ectopics are back!! So now i know cutting these things out of my life helped i will start again to quit the smoking and drinking and cut my weight down.

After doing alot of reserch on the internet and speaking to many many specialsts and GPs i know that every persons "ectopic" symptoms are pretty much simalar, i.e - skipped/gained beats, fluttering in chest or throat, thud, electrical rush through body, i personally experience all of the above.

I know this is hard to do but try not to think to much about them, force yourself not to give these nasty feelings the generosity of you aknowledgement, because if u do u will get anxious and therefore increase the problem. Try and eat sensibly and not late at night, drink water and avoid caffiene, alcohol and stimulants such as smoking.

I hope this helps a little in trying to explain a little about the problems alot of us that use this forum are going through, after all the tests and experts i have seen, the message is the same, "there common", there harmless".

Your not alone with your feelings & i reccemmend posting on here if your feeling down as this will help, it does for me.

Take Care All

Sean

beadbabe
03-05-07, 09:13
thank you so much for all your kind replies. I wish I was as brave as you lot!