PDA

View Full Version : Arm shakes really bad after using weed eater

Thelegend27
21-04-17, 01:19
This isn't something I have anxiety about but I didn't where else to ask this question. I purchased a electric weed eater and started cutting the grass I was done in around 30 - 45 minutes and now the arm that I had extended out holding the weed eater is shaky but not when relaxed only if I'm holding something like I made a phone call and tried hold the phone in that hand and my hand and arm was too shaky. Any idea how I can weed eat without it causing this? Or is it something I will need to get used to before it stops?

ServerError
21-04-17, 02:09
Your arm muscles clearly aren't used to being tensed in that way for that period of time. It's nothing to worry about. It'll probably stop if you do that activity more often as your muscles will natural strengthen. But don't go out of your way to try and stop it. We've all had this happen after, say, carrying heavy shopping or holding up something heavy. It's normal.

M00nlight
21-04-17, 02:15
Happens to me every single time I weed eat! Totally normal :)

Hahneclipse73
21-04-17, 04:02
Ive had this happen all the time with trimmers, chainsaws, push mowers, tillers, etc. Its really about how long you are holding it, the ergonomics of the machine, rpms (vibrate more at different engine speeds), design and length of shaft, position of the handles, how heavy the head is, grass thickness (thicker wants to pull the head down while you try and keep it level), which direction you walk with it while trimming, if the guard is still in place, even the type of string, etc. The professional ones vibrate less and are much more comfortable and less awkward to use then the homeowners, so I'd suggest spending the extra money and getting one of those. Those cheaper ones are a real pain to use and take forever. I also know the electric ones vibrate like crazy. The trick is to not be so tense using it, it helps to if when you tilt it for the curbs you put your hand on the shaft and not the handle. I know the feeling, its like you still have the machine in your hands after you've finished..or electricity is running up your arms. I've been in the landscape industry since I was like 12 so I've used all kinds of trimmers and equipment. I'm on here for panic attacks and anxiety but I saw weed eater and felt I needed to comment haha.

MyNameIsTerry
21-04-17, 05:02
Your arm muscles clearly aren't used to being tensed in that way for that period of time. It's nothing to worry about. It'll probably stop if you do that activity more often as your muscles will natural strengthen. But don't go out of your way to try and stop it. We've all had this happen after, say, carrying heavy shopping or holding up something heavy. It's normal.

I agree with SE.

I used to lift weights for years and it was something that could happen when you were training heavy or to exhaustion.

We also tend to think in terms of the larger muscles and forget about the weaker balancing muscles in the body. Then we are in an awkward position where these stabilising muscles are in play and we shake a bit.

Basically, strengthen the muscles.

---------- Post added at 05:02 ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 ----------

Ive had this happen all the time with trimmers, chainsaws, push mowers, tillers, etc. Its really about how long you are holding it, the ergonomics of the machine, rpms (vibrate more at different engine speeds), design and length of shaft, position of the handles, how heavy the head is, grass thickness (thicker wants to pull the head down while you try and keep it level), which direction you walk with it while trimming, if the guard is still in place, even the type of string, etc. The professional ones vibrate less and are much more comfortable and less awkward to use then the homeowners, so I'd suggest spending the extra money and getting one of those. Those cheaper ones are a real pain to use and take forever. I also know the electric ones vibrate like crazy. The trick is to not be so tense using it, it helps to if when you tilt it for the curbs you put your hand on the shaft and not the handle. I know the feeling, its like you still have the machine in your hands after you've finished..or electricity is running up your arms. I've been in the landscape industry since I was like 12 so I've used all kinds of trimmers and equipment. I'm on here for panic attacks and anxiety but I saw weed eater and felt I needed to comment haha.

My dad would agree with you. He's retired now but worked in the landscaping business most of his life. He definitely prefers a good quality professional machine. Petrol are much better than elec for more reasons than this.

Great job but it can be heavy work!