PDA

View Full Version : mixed up anxious and down

vernon
29-10-04, 12:25
Sorry for the long post.
Feeling realty down and no Idea what to do. Yesterday I went to see my eye surgeon (after missing many appointments through fear and anxiety). As a lot of you know I am registered blind, I have macular degeneration, high myopia and retina damage. One eye has no sight left, its been that way over a year and the other is following but have a little sight in one eye, blurred and ok for real close work but no good at all for going out or seeing anything furtherer than a couple of feet away. They said they would be willing to try surgery to try and give me a bit of sight back in the eye that’s no good but another problem arose, There is a cataract now on the eye meaning they cant see the back of the eye to see what damage is done. (They done a scan on the eye but this don’t give full details they need) So, they would have to remove the cataract before they can see the back to commence and surgery to try and fix the retina this is the risks they said that would be involved. Because of the retina damage the surgery to remove the cataract could fully detach the retina (meaning end of eye fully, or what they said also jelly loss or infection. Once they can remove the cataract if all goes well the retina might be too damaged to be repaired in that case they would just leave it and I have had surgery and gained nothing. But on the other hand if the cataract is removed with no problems to the retina and the retina isn’t to bad I would be able to see a bit with the eye I now have no sight in. and the other pitfall is they could do it successfully then find the other eye doesn’t match with the repaired eye meaning surgery on the eye I can see a little with to rectify this problem. Before gong to see the surgeon I didn’t think there where so many complications and this has made me feel much more depressed and anxious and scared, I really want to go ahead with this surgery as the eye in question has no sight at all and would be great to watch TV and even go out again on my own. But as they said if I do decide to go ahead, go expecting no change and if it’s a success it’s a bonus. I am really anxious and scared before I start and this has really added to it to think I could go through 2 lots of surgery for nothing. I told the surgeon I was anxious and real scared of most things and he said in that case he would arrange for me to have a strong sedative on arrival at hospital on that day. So sorry for such a long post and properly a lot of you have more problems than me but I feel so down and really needed to get all this off my chest to someone outside the family. Thank you all for reading this and being there I have had so much help on this site just reading and chatting in chat to people. Thanks so much love you all Vernon

tara
29-10-04, 12:47
Hi Vern, what a lot of issues for you do deal with !

As we know with all operations they Must give worst case, it's more than their jobs worth!

I right in thinking that they are going to operate on your blind eye?

If so and all go's well you will have gained a little more sight than you alreay have which is a bonus! and if worst case (sorry) you'll have lost nothing, only of course having to go through the ordeal of eye surgery.

I'm sure you'll come to the right decision and i'm sure you'll get some good advice and support from here. Take Care vern Tara xx

vernon
29-10-04, 12:57
thanks tara, I know u r right but hard when u are all worked up with panic to start with? as u know i stopped drink and cut right down on meds but doc gave me some prozac the other day so think i will give them a try, might help calm me and get me through this lol. if i can stop drink and meds after 40 years i am sure i will be able to stop prozac when i settle again thanks cya vernon

mico
29-10-04, 13:22
Sounds like a lot to deal with vern, I actually didn't know you were registered blind. I think Tara's right though, I mean, what have you got to lose? Sure, I wouldn't like the thought of surgery either, I don't think anyone does. And given the same situation as yourself, I would be on an anxious high too. But it does sound like it could be worth it.

All I can say really is to try and relax a little, put a little time aside for some good quality relaxation. I know I always talk about relaxation on these boards, but I do believe it is a big help in times of heightened stress. It can take that edge off a little.

And try looking at the whole situation from different perspectives, After all, it's only a couple of hours asleep, wake up, all done. Hard to look at it that way I know, just try not to be too negative about it, sometimes you can have a glimpse of positivity in your mind and that image can stick, and help you through rough times, but you'll only find that image if you're looking for it.

Good Luck

mico

kate
29-10-04, 13:26
Hi Vern,

I think you know deep down that you've got to give it a go, even though you are very anxious about it.

If the op is a success, think how much better your life would get.

The decision is of course yours, Vern. Give it some serious thought though.

Luv Kate xxx

vernon
29-10-04, 14:26
thanks all xxx

lainey
29-10-04, 15:00
Hi Vern mate!

I,m so sorry you're feeling so down and anxious at the moment. I agree with Tara about what she says about your eye, I know it's a hard decision to make but they will look after you and sedate you to make you nice and relaxed, the decision has to be yours but what have you got to lose eh mate!

Think positively and all the things you can do if the op is a success.
Thinking of you, always here for a chat

Take care

Elaine xxx

Karen
29-10-04, 15:02
Hi Vernon

It sounds like you have nothing to lose by going for this op and it could make life so much better for you.

It has to be your decision.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

seh1980
29-10-04, 18:19
hi Vern,

I agree with the others - you have nothing to lose by giving it a go.

Good luck - I wish you all the best!!

Sarah :D

vernon
29-10-04, 21:15
thanks all

nomorepanic
29-10-04, 21:29
Go for it Vern

Could be the best thing you did. I know that you are scared of the operation but think what it could do for you?

Good luck
xx

Nicola

Jewel
31-10-04, 16:22
Dear Vernon

This is not a guarantee but i work in a Treatment Centre for the NHS and on Wednesday and Thursday we do about 8/12 cataract operations per week. I know you are very anxious about it but I have not heard once of anything going wrong. I hope this helps you a bit but as I said it is not a guarantee becuase sometimes things can go wrong but it is very rare and during my time at the treatment Centre we have not had anything happen.

All I can say are that all patients feel exactly the same as you do so it is a normal response before an operation.

Hope this helps.

Rennie1989
31-10-04, 16:48
vern

havent spoken to u for a while

i would go with it as atleast it will get rid of the catarac. try think of the good options rather than the bad

hope ur feeling better

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears

davebrum
31-10-04, 19:23
hi vernon
we have talked in chat about your forth coming operation - theres not much more i can say and cant advise you on the situation as im not and havent been in you situation but i did want to offer my FULL SUPPORT
and send you a big HUG try to keep smiling love david xxx

jo-jo
31-10-04, 20:41
Hiya Vernon

Oh hun, what a difficult dilemma you must be in and its no wonder you're left feeling rather scared and bewildered.

I agree with everyone else that it really does seem worth a go as although you're scared, you have at least given yourself a chance to get some sight back in your eye. If you don't do it, you may always end up wondering what if ...

This is a difficult one and ultimately only you can decide whether its right for you to go through the op, but all I would say is don't avoid it just because you feel anxious now as I'm totally convinced anyone about to go through a cataract op would be bricking it (I know my dad was worried for weeks before he had his and then afterwards he didn't know why he'd worried so much)

Whatever you decide, we are all with you 100%.

Take care
Love Jo xxx

vernon
02-11-04, 15:30
hi jewel, its not the cataract i am worried about, I have macular and rtnor dameage and they have to move the cateract before they can even see to carry out the surgery required and the odds they gave me was quite slim. thanks all anyway Vernon

seh1980
03-11-04, 01:24
hi Vern,

I think you would regret it if you didn't go ahead and give it a go. Don't you think?

Sarah :D