PDA

View Full Version : Lyrica to generic - any problems ?

s44
21-04-17, 16:00
I've recently moved from Lyrica to a generic brand. The GP did this, I presume for cost savings.

I'm currently on 400mg for anxiety (250mg at night, 150mg in morning). Have been on that dose for about 8 months.

I also suffer from depression and have pituitary gland issues that cause hormonal issues (low Testosterone / Thyroid).

Anyway - since about a week after moving to generic I've had some really bad headaches and dizziness. Also some awful anxiety returning.

This of course may have nothing to do with the medication change and could be a migraine or virus etc.

Anyone else noticed any differences between Lyrica and generic ?

SmilingAlbert
21-04-17, 17:44
Sorry to hear this -

But no, I never noticed any difference. In theory, there should be no difference between the two.

Catya
26-04-17, 11:04
By generic do you mean gabapentin ?

braindead
28-04-17, 10:15
once you go high on lyrica you will get pregabalin. me i am on 600mg

mary jane
06-06-17, 21:21
I've recently moved from Lyrica to a generic brand. The GP did this, I presume for cost savings.

I'm currently on 400mg for anxiety (250mg at night, 150mg in morning). Have been on that dose for about 8 months.

I also suffer from depression and have pituitary gland issues that cause hormonal issues (low Testosterone / Thyroid).

Anyway - since about a week after moving to generic I've had some really bad headaches and dizziness. Also some awful anxiety returning.

This of course may have nothing to do with the medication change and could be a migraine or virus etc.

Anyone else noticed any differences between Lyrica and generic ?

wow I had no idea their patent had expired ....
Lyrica costs 100 GBP per box so maybe that's why they switched you ...

I have used generics for other medications like amitriptyline and haven't noticed a difference ... maybe the same applies for Pregabalin ..

The placebo effect is also pretty strong, was reading a book yesterday where the author says how they use certain colours for pills like antidepressants and different ones for ADHD medication ..this is why, it's the power of suggestion :) same for packaging or "brand-name" medication like ibuprofen ...Nurofen costs more although it's the same thing ...

so no, a generic shouldn't have a different effect :) hope it helps

panic_down_under
07-06-17, 02:10
it's the power of suggestion same for packaging or "brand-name" medication like ibuprofen ...Nurofen costs more although it's the same thing ...

In a study (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26462056) published last year comparing ibuprofen labeled either as Nurofen or a generic and a placebo, both the Nurofen branded ibuprofen and Nurofen branded placebo were found to be equally effective, but the generic placebo was judged much less so! The branded placebo also produced fewer/less severe side-effects than the generic placebo. All of which demonstrates just how powerful the placebo (and also nocebo) effect can be.

Catherine S
07-06-17, 08:28
Apparently the only difference with a generic med is the price and shouldn't affect the performance. They're cheaper because once the patent runs out, other manufacturers who can then produce them don't have the same resesrch/start up/advertising costs to pass onto the customer, it's all already been done so all they have to do is follow the recipe and make an already tried and tested product.

So the experts reckon there should be no side effects from generics because they're made in exactly the same way. But I guess the jury is out on that one.

:)

hanshan
07-06-17, 12:11
Generic medications must contain exactly the stated amount of active ingredient in the pill or capsule etc, and it must achieve a certain blood plasma concentration within a fixed time period (eg not be as hard as a rock and so not dissolve). Differences can exist in coatings, colours and non-active ingredients, but these are all chosen from ones unlikely to have side-effects or trigger intolerances - although there is always a very small possibility of this, just as there would be with any medication.

Unfortunately, for anxiety sufferers, taking a generic is just one more factor that can trigger an anxiety reaction.

braindead
07-06-17, 14:08
wow I had no idea their patent had expired ....
Lyrica costs 100 GBP per box so maybe that's why they switched you ...

I have used generics for other medications like amitriptyline and haven't noticed a difference ... maybe the same applies for Pregabalin ..

The placebo effect is also pretty strong, was reading a book yesterday where the author says how they use certain colours for pills like antidepressants and different ones for ADHD medication ..this is why, it's the power of suggestion :) same for packaging or "brand-name" medication like ibuprofen ...Nurofen costs more although it's the same thing ...

so no, a generic shouldn't have a different effect :) hope it helps
PREGABALIN IS THE GENERIC you just said you had no idea lyrica had gone generic
:whistles::whistles::whistles::whistles:

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

i am still on pregabalin and have had lyrica scripted at different chemist there both the same. I have been on different generics 30 years but if offered the real med i take it any day,:shades: there is something in your head that says its better:unsure:

mary jane
07-06-17, 14:31
PREGABALIN IS THE GENERIC you just said you had no idea lyrica had gone generic
:whistles::whistles::whistles::whistles:

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

i am still on pregabalin and have had lyrica scripted at different chemist there both the same. I have been on different generics 30 years but if offered the real med i take it any day,:shades: there is something in your head that says its better:unsure:
I used to take Lyrica so I know what I'm talking about, the box says LYRICA and below it writes Pregabalin..the GENERIC of this medication is called REWISCA and below it writes, once more, Pregabalin.

braindead
07-06-17, 17:49
I used to take Lyrica so I know what I'm talking about, the box says LYRICA and below it writes Pregabalin..the GENERIC of this medication is called REWISCA and below it writes, once more, Pregabalin.
not on uk box its says pregabalin ie lyrica

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Feb 2, 2017 ... The generic Pregabalin is manufactured by 32 companies. The information provided includes the cost of the drug and the type of drug - tablet, ...

hanshan
08-06-17, 02:15
The original patent medication and (usually) the the different generic brands will have brand names. These are usually written starting with a capital letter in ordinary text, eg "Lyrica".

The base drug is (usually) written without an initial capital, eg "pregabalin".

Thus, Lyrica is Pfizer's brand of pregabalin, and Rewisca is a generic brand of pregabalin.

braindead
08-06-17, 11:08
The original patent medication and (usually) the the different generic brands will have brand names. These are usually written starting with a capital letter in ordinary text, eg "Lyrica".

The base drug is (usually) written without an initial capital, eg "pregabalin".

Thus, Lyrica is Pfizer's brand of pregabalin, and Rewisca is a generic brand of pregabalin.

true they have given me a lyrica script this time , none generic, it just that Mary Jane first said she didn't no the patent had expired, There are 32 generic companies making pregabalin :wacko: