PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazapine for Anxiety?

maianixon
21-04-17, 19:32
My psychiatrist prescribed me Mirtazapine 15mg but said only to take half a pill every night. It's supposed to only be temporarily because for the past month I've struggled with extreme health anxiety and after a month on diazepam she prescribed me this.
She said it should work right away and that it shouldn't make me feel worse like most anti-depressants do, but when I looked it up I saw a lot of bad reviews of people saying how it made them super suicidal?
I also generally rarely struggle with depression, its only anxiety that is a problem for me and I was just wondering how it worked for people?

I'm really nervous to start taking it, I already feel bad enough as it is.

ocdbaking
21-04-17, 20:20
I've been on it for years - I've personally found it very helpful and the side effects are less than other tablets. But it's not the same for everyone. You'll never know until you try it.

Mindprison
21-04-17, 20:45
Hey there

I've been on Mirtazapine for about a year now. It hasn't really done much for my anxiety but does slightly improve my sleep. I'm combining it with Pregabalin right now under supervision by a psychiatrist.

All I can say is that i've experienced no side effects at all from it, it just doesn't really seem to affect me both positively or negatively. Everyone is different, there's no harm in taking it so give it a try, it might just be the thing for you.

maianixon
21-04-17, 21:27
Idk I've been doing so bad lately and my HA has been insane I dont think I can handle any side effects atm... I might wait to see my psychiatrist again and talk to her about it (shes also a therapist). I have a weird fear of antidepressants and in the state I'm in I'm worried they would just make me worse (ironic i guess)

panic_down_under
21-04-17, 23:07
I'm really nervous to start taking it, I already feel bad enough as it is.

Mirtazapine is mostly just a very sedating antihistamine and a strong sedative is all that many with mild to moderate anxiety need.

maianixon
01-05-17, 17:23
So I ended up not taking it because I was overly scared of idk a concept of an antidepressant and possible side effects but I am giving it second thoughts now since my anxiety seems to be going nowhere.
But it seems that most of you haven't experienced bad things from it?

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

Oh also my psychiatrist said she would only give it to me for a short term (didnt specify how long) as in temporarily until my anxiety starts improving to the point I can work through it through therapy. Does anyone have any experience with withdrawal from it? I don't want to crash badly

Mark13
01-05-17, 17:45
I've been on mirtazapine for over 90% of the last 10 years. It is the only drug that helps me sleep, so I take it alongside a therapeutic dosage of another anti-depressant for my GAD.

Good luck.