PDA

View Full Version : Can ALS occur in young adults

DrG00GLE
21-04-17, 23:21
For about a month, maybe more, I have noticed that any part of my body will start to twitch. This ranges from my neck to the bottom of my foot. I have no clue why they twitch, all I know is that it usually happens while im sitting down or laying down. I don't experience pain while it happens, it just feels like a bunch of bubbles start to pop in a general area and lasts for a few seconds, but keeps occuring for an hour. Could this be ALS? Should I see a doctor?

Josh1234
21-04-17, 23:27
The chances of you having ALS at age 30 are 1 in 1 million. The chances of you being 30 with ALS that presents with twitching as an initial symptom is far more rare than that. Every year younger than 30 is even more of a long short. So, no, you definitely do not have ALS.

Mindprison
21-04-17, 23:28
Hi there

Fishmanpa made a very informative thread regarding the ALS rabbit hole that you can read here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196071

All the best

axolotl
21-04-17, 23:29
This is such a vanishingly rare possibility it shouldn't even be on your radar. Put it out of your head before you disappear down a particularly nasty rabbit warren.

DrG00GLE
22-04-17, 14:33
The only problem is that this has been happening for months and it only has just gotten worse. But seeing as this is so incredibly rare I'll have to stop worrying. However, any idea on what it could be?

ServerError
22-04-17, 14:42
Benign Fasciculation Syndrome.

axolotl
22-04-17, 15:09
Also twitching is not a presenting symptom of ALS. Health anxious people have made up a fictitious version of how to spot ALS.

tryingtosurvive1
23-04-17, 03:23
yeah, what Josh said. You don't have ALS, you just have twitches. Try not to get caught up in the ALS health anxiety world.

Ben1989
24-04-17, 08:20
Twitches are not a symptom of ALS.

Sufferers of ALS wish this 'symptom' could be removed from google as it brings a lot of people to their forums