PDA

View Full Version : Lymph Nodes and WBC. Is this concerning?

jbuddy723
22-04-17, 03:11
Hello everybody! I just got my CBC back and I am not sure how to interpret my results. I am very scared that the doctors are not concerned because things are not officially out of range, but are nearing out of range. My WBC was 9.8, my neutrophils were 7330, my lymphocytes were 1580, my eosinophils were 99, and my basophils were 39. I also have swollen lymph nodes in the submandibular region and cervical region (also possibly in my groin and possible unilateral tonsil swelling but my doctor said they are normal). Are any of my results concerning or even causing any eyebrow raises for anyone? Also, I'm not anemic (4.93) but have been experiencing fatigue.

swajj
22-04-17, 03:19
You want our opinion over your doctor's? If you can't accept the professional's opinion why would you accept our opinion? Read the thread "Dragon Food" and apply it to your situation.

PASchoolSyndrome
22-04-17, 03:36
I just got my CBC back and I am not sure how to interpret my results.

Well that's why your doctor went through years and years of training to interpret them so you don't have to.

GlassPinata
22-04-17, 04:52
Hello everybody! I just got my CBC back and I am not sure how to interpret my results. I am very scared that the doctors are not concerned because things are not officially out of range, but are nearing out of range. My WBC was 9.8, my neutrophils were 7330, my lymphocytes were 1580, my eosinophils were 99, and my basophils were 39. I also have swollen lymph nodes in the submandibular region and cervical region (also possibly in my groin and possible unilateral tonsil swelling but my doctor said they are normal). Are any of my results concerning or even causing any eyebrow raises for anyone? Also, I'm not anemic (4.93) but have been experiencing fatigue.

Not being a medical professional, I cannot interpret those results.
But common sense would dictate that there are two categories of results: "in normal range" and "out of normal range".
The word "range" implies.... well, a range. A range of results that mean that a person is normal and healthy.
Anything outside that range would be abnormal, and would suggest that something might be wrong, healthwise. If the result was only mildly out of range, then the problem might be a very minor one. If the result was severely out of range, then the problem might be more serious.

I am not a doctor, as I said, and do not know what any of those results mean.
But say there was hypothetical blood test where "normal range" was from 30 to 70. That means that normal, healthy individuals will have a result ranging anywhere from 30 to 70. If your result is below 30 or above 70, that could indicate a problem. However, if your result is 60 (or 68, or 40, or 32) that does not mean that you are sick or that anything is wrong. It means that normal, healthy individuals will have results ranging anywhere from 30 to 70. Therefore all of the aforementioned results would indicate that you are normal and healthy. Your result does not have to be 50 to be a normal result. It can be anywhere from 30 to 70.

So how do I interpret your "technically normal, not officially out of range" test results?
I interpret them to mean that you are normal and healthy, since your results were not out of range.
But obviously if you have further concerns or questions, you owe it to yourself to discuss these with your doctor.

Best wishes.

axolotl
22-04-17, 10:28
As others have said, no-one here has a clue what that means either and trusting doctors when they show no concern is a big step towards keeping HA at bay.

Fishmanpa
22-04-17, 13:18
"...things are not officially out of range..." = Not out of range = NORMAL!

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
22-04-17, 13:28
Like everyone so else said really. I'm sure that because a doctor knows it's normal, we could Google to find medical information agreeing with him but it's just reassurance since you've had the best answer from him already.

Even if something is in normal range a doctor may still treat something if he feels it's worth it. Or he may simply monitor you or tell you what to look out for and when to come back. If he doesn't then he obviously doesn't see a need.

As for the lymph nodes, you believe they are raised, a patient without training or experience of feeling thousands of them on different patients, some enlarged, most normal vs a doctor who has.

Thelegend27
22-04-17, 16:40
I'll give you the same advice I gave myself, never take your test results home and read them because you don't really know what is normal vs abnormal and you will feed your anxiety. Your doctors read blood results all the time they know what's normal and what's not. As for the lymph nodes I also have palpable nodes in the neck so I know that's nerve racking but since your doctor said you're OK you're OK I know it's hard to let go of the fear as I am still trying to as well.