PDA

View Full Version : White coating on tongue

rainbow
22-04-17, 12:12
Hi, I've been going through extreme anxiety and stress for the last 8 months now and in this time I've been eating very little and I know I definitely don't drink enough, usually a maximum of 4 glasses of fluids a day. I've noticed lately that my tongue looks whitish, more so near the back but pretty much all over as well. The underneath is a normal pink colour. If I scrape my tongue with my teeth there is a white liquidy substance that come off, sister milky looking. Sorry for the tmi! I also have a bad taste in my mouth quite often.

My anxiety has been a bit better lately but I can feel it rising again and I check my tongue over and over again through the day. Really don't want my anxiety to escalate again. Anyone have any experience of this.

---------- Post added at 10:52 ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 ----------

Sister? sort of*

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

Has no-one experienced this? Trying not to google.

nomorepanic
22-04-17, 12:59
Sounds like oral thrush but you would need to get this confirmed by a doctor really

rainbow
22-04-17, 14:49
Don't think it's thrush as its not a thick coating and my tongue isn't sore. I've read that stress and dehydration can cause a white tongue.

Thanks for your reply. Was hoping someone could relate.

nomorepanic
22-04-17, 15:28
I had thrush recently - diagnosed with a swab the doctor did - and there was no coating on my tongue but I just had a dry mouth at night.

You do need to drink more water though, yes

ChildOfTheKing
22-04-17, 15:55
Sounds like bacteria build up. At worst oral thrush.

GlassPinata
22-04-17, 16:01
I wouldn't google it if i were you (lately when I google even the most benign-sounding symptom, Dr Google comes back with some dire prognosis).
I will simply tell you that I sometimes have the same thing, and I've noticed it on my little boy as well, when i brush his teeth.
usually after some Listerine and thorough brushing (including brushing your tongue), it clears up after a day or two.
I repeat, I have noticed a white coating on my tongue a number of times throughout my life, and after some brushing, it always clears up on its own. I've never seen a doctor about it, because, well... it goes away. So it can't be too serious. Try rinsing with warm salt water or Listerine, then brushing.

Best wishes.

rainbow
22-04-17, 19:56
I wouldn't google it if i were you (lately when I google even the most benign-sounding symptom, Dr Google comes back with some dire prognosis).
I will simply tell you that I sometimes have the same thing, and I've noticed it on my little boy as well, when i brush his teeth.
usually after some Listerine and thorough brushing (including brushing your tongue), it clears up after a day or two.
I repeat, I have noticed a white coating on my tongue a number of times throughout my life, and after some brushing, it always clears up on its own. I've never seen a doctor about it, because, well... it goes away. So it can't be too serious. Try rinsing with warm salt water or Listerine, then brushing.

Best wishes.

Thank you, I know googling will just increase my anxiety and I've been improving lately so don't want to make myself ill again. I'be tried brushing my tongue and it looks a better colour once I'be done that but after a while it looks light again. I suppose that the underneath of my tongue being a normal colour is reassuring? If there was something really wrong with me I would imagine the colour would be the same all over. Trying to reassure myself:blush:

maianixon
22-04-17, 20:39
okay so i've never googled this (and i dont plan to) but ever since i was little i've been told that white tongue is a flu symptom or just a symptom you are generally unwell (even like a cold or something). I don't know if that is true, but it's just considered 'common knowledge' in my family. I know my GP also few times acknowledged when I would come with a flu as in 'oh it does seem youre unwell'. I'm pretty sure it can happen due to really minor things.

That being said, I've had white coat on my tongue for the past month and I've not been ill and have actually been wondering what it's from, but then again I have been highly anxious lately so I'm assuming my immune system isn't great at the moment which is how I interpreted it.

In any case I'm sure it is nothing you should worry about AT ALL, especially if you have no other symptoms that would be worrying you. I would imagine it could very easily be due to you not eating/drinking properly and generally not feeling well.

Fishmanpa
22-04-17, 20:54
One thing that will help in general is hydration. You're not getting enough fluids. That alone may resolve the issue.

Positive thoughts

rainbow
22-04-17, 21:20
okay so i've never googled this (and i dont plan to) but ever since i was little i've been told that white tongue is a flu symptom or just a symptom you are generally unwell (even like a cold or something). I don't know if that is true, but it's just considered 'common knowledge' in my family. I know my GP also few times acknowledged when I would come with a flu as in 'oh it does seem youre unwell'. I'm pretty sure it can happen due to really minor things.

That being said, I've had white coat on my tongue for the past month and I've not been ill and have actually been wondering what it's from, but then again I have been highly anxious lately so I'm assuming my immune system isn't great at the moment which is how I interpreted it.

In any case I'm sure it is nothing you should worry about AT ALL, especially if you have no other symptoms that would be worrying you. I would imagine it could very easily be due to you not eating/drinking properly and generally not feeling well.

I've actually been feeling better than ever lately since losing over 3 stone because of the anxiety. I move about easier and have started cycling again. I have had numerous comments from my work colleagues about my weight loss and how well I'm looking, so physically I'm feeling ok but I'm just a bit freaked out by the colour of my tongue and have checked it numerous times in the mirror aswell as taking photos of it! Obsessive, I know. I don't want to go back to this kind of behaviour again.

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

One thing that will help in general is hydration. You're not getting enough fluids. That alone may resolve the issue.

Positive thoughts

I'm definitely going to try to drink more.

maianixon
22-04-17, 21:22
Idk i still think if it was something wrong you would have other symptoms as well. You can always go to a GP but if you generally feel well its really probably nothing. (I feel like such a hypocrite typing this because I'm the same but I guess its easier to think rationally when it comes to other people)

rainbow
22-04-17, 23:09
Idk i still think if it was something wrong you would have other symptoms as well. You can always go to a GP but if you generally feel well its really probably nothing. (I feel like such a hypocrite typing this because I'm the same but I guess its easier to think rationally when it comes to other people)

I know what you mean, I can always look at other people's issues objectively, I just can't do it with my own worries. I think I'll just keep an eye on things and take it from there, it does help that other people have experienced it too.

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 23:06 ----------

Have you seen your gp about your tongue?

Fishmanpa
22-04-17, 23:11
I'm definitely going to try to drink more.

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

So true! Go buy a case of drinking water and plan on drinking a minimum of 5 bottles a day to start. No sleep until finish the last bottle. Build on that!

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
23-04-17, 02:01
Had it many a time myself over the years. Plenty of water, see if it helps and keep oral hygiene good.

If it's something like thrush, probiotics can be helpful since the mouth contains strains of healty bacteria that keep it in check. We always have bad bacteria in us, how healthy bacteria stop it becoming a problem. Eating yoghurt is a good way to go, it may not give the mouth strains but certain large volume strains are seen as foundations to grow the rest.

I have asthma, thrush is on of the things we tend to get from the steroid inhalers or not cleaning the inhalers enough. I've had thrush several times, never need meds for it.

Now to the most importart part if my post - I'm really pleased to hear you are doing better. It has been quite obvious when you've posted recently that you are in a different place to when you had that bowel movement thread going.

Well don on the exercise and the accomplishment of losing weight.

Don't allow yourself to get into a checking cycle or Googling cycle.

Thelegend27
23-04-17, 05:24
I took have a slight white coat look to my tounge so does my gf and as you said it is whiter towards the back, I've read that it debris from food and bacteria as far as I can remember I've always had this never gave it much thought because my tounge has never been solid pink or read as you see on dental commercials and stuff.

rainbow
23-04-17, 09:02
Had it many a time myself over the years. Plenty of water, see if it helps and keep oral hygiene good.

If it's something like thrush, probiotics can be helpful since the mouth contains strains of healty bacteria that keep it in check. We always have bad bacteria in us, how healthy bacteria stop it becoming a problem. Eating yoghurt is a good way to go, it may not give the mouth strains but certain large volume strains are seen as foundations to grow the rest.

I have asthma, thrush is on of the things we tend to get from the steroid inhalers or not cleaning the inhalers enough. I've had thrush several times, never need meds for it.

Now to the most importart part if my post - I'm really pleased to hear you are doing better. It has been quite obvious when you've posted recently that you are in a different place to when you had that bowel movement thread going.

Well don on the exercise and the accomplishment of losing weight.

Don't allow yourself to get into a checking cycle or Googling cycle.

Thank you, I have been slowly improving but it just takes one little thing and I can feel the fear starting. My appt for my assessment for cbt is on the 5th of June and I'm nervous about it but I just want to get started.

Your words of reassurance and logic have been a big help on my road to recovery so thank you so much for taking the time to answer my many rambling posts, it's much appreciated.