PDA

View Full Version : Scared of food poisoning

tillyyy
22-04-17, 14:56
Earlier today I went to McDonald's & got a mcchicken sandwich. I started eating and realised it was 'warm' rather than hot. I realise it's probably nothing, but my emetophobic brain tells me I must have been poisoned.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

axolotl
22-04-17, 15:06
What do you want people to say? We didn't see your sandwich, so how we can we say if it was undercooked? If that's all you're going on very unlikely, and McDonalds make millions of sandwiches every day and food poisoning would be a big scandal. But really how are we supposed to know for sure?

Running for reassurance to this forum every time something could make you sick will not help you get better. You need some help to combat your emetophobia, otherwise reassurance-seeking just helps you dwell on your fears and keep them in your mind, and gets you in a cycle of seeking reassurance from others rather than working it out yourself.

nomorepanic
22-04-17, 15:27
Earlier today I went to McDonald's & got a mcchicken sandwich. I started eating and realised it was 'warm' rather than hot. I realise it's probably nothing, but my emetophobic brain tells me I must have been poisoned.

I eat them cold - they won't be anything wrong with it just because it is warm

GlassPinata
22-04-17, 16:07

McDonald's chicken sandwiches (and nuggets) not only arrive at the restaurant frozen, already fully cooked and ready to eat, only needing to be warmed up, but they are not even made of *chicken*, per se; they are made out of that chopped, ground, pre-formed chicken junk, which contains a lot of fillers, mostly soy.
It is highly unlikely you'd get anything more than a slighly upset tummy from one. Back in my younger days, I'd sometimes buy a box of nuggets and just leave them sitting on my desk for hours and nibble on them throughout the day.
Highly processed "chicken" like McDonald's serves is actually less of a risk for food poisoning (such as Salmonella) than fresh chicken that you buy raw in the store and cook at home, ironically enough.
I think you will be fine. Try not to upset yourself, or you'll get an upset stomach just from anxiety, and that will further convince you that you've been poisoned.

Best wishes.