PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever resigned instead of being signed off sick?

worriedsoul
22-04-17, 18:28
Hi all

If you read my last post you will know that I have been depressed and anxious over starting a new job.

I have had the last few days off sick because I could not face going into work. My employer thinks that I have had the flu.

I have only been there 2 months and now starting to think my best option is to resign because I am dreading Monday. However some friends have suggested that I get signed off sick instead. Main reason for this is so I could focus on other things and also I would then be passing week 5 for the Prozac to kick in.

But I just don't have the face to get signed off when I have only just started!!

Anyone been in this predicament?

The main theory is that after two weeks I might feel well enough to cope with the job

wabbit1
22-04-17, 18:41
I was signed off sicked for nearly 10 months 2 months into my employment. I've been back nearly a year now with only 2 absences in that time.i did think about resigning but glad I didn't.

jamiebythesea
22-04-17, 18:57
I resigned from a really good job, because I was making excuses to have days off. In hindsight I should have told them about my anxiety, but at the time I wasn't thinking too far ahead.
Might be wise to take more time off, go on the sick and see if things improve.
Good luck whatever you choose.

Bill
23-04-17, 04:43
I wouldn't rely on the medication to resolve your dilemma for you.

Instead, I think you need to ask yourself, are you dreading Monday because - a) you don't enjoy your job and the job is too stressful or b) you find the job ok but just feel anxious about the thought of going in.

If the answer is a), you would probably be better off looking for another job. If though the answer is b), keep going in and give it more time because it could simply be you need more time to settle in.

Also if you don't enjoy the job and or find it too stressful, no amount of sick leave or meds will resolve your anxiety but you could use sick leave as time to search for another job.

If it's simply because it's a new job and you take sick leave, whenever you go back you'll probably feel just as anxious. Also if you look for another job and again it's because it's just that it's new, you'll still feel anxious.

If you take sick leave and stay home, you will probably find it harder getting started again so if the job is ok, I'd suggest keep persevering to see if the anxiety wears off as you settle in. If it doesn't, you're probably in the wrong job.

Hope that doesn't sound too confusing.:wacko:

MyNameIsTerry
23-04-17, 05:06
If you do get signed off, I suggest you explain your concerns over being truthful with them for the few days prior to this because they are going to see the GP writing something different on the FIT note.

It's easily explained away and they will likely want to change anything they have already recorded.