PDA

View Full Version : Can you get hiv from stepping on a toothpick?

Moso13
23-04-17, 01:01
I was walking down my dorm hall wearing socks and I stepped on a toothpick laying on the ground. I don't know if it pricked me, but afterwards my foot started hurting but that might just be my brain playing tricks on me to think I got pricked.
But if I got pricked and it actually drew blood, could I get hiv from that toothpick?

MyNameIsTerry
23-04-17, 01:55
No, the reason being the HIV virus needs he incubation of something like the human body otherwise it dies very quickly.

The only type of HIV can that last longer is the lab growth strains they grow to test with but you won't come into contact with that.

Fishmanpa
23-04-17, 02:09
I recall a rabies fear post that went something like this...

I was walking through the park and felt a drop of water on my face. I'm afraid a bat's saliva hit me and I'm going to get rabies...

:huh: Really?... Ummm... No...

Same thing with your post ;)

Positive thoughts

tryingtosurvive1
23-04-17, 04:17
No.
My uncle died of AIDS. He got it from having a girlfriend in the early 80s who was a drug-using sex worker. That's the kind of thing that transmits HIV.
But I think you know this!

(not trying to stigmatize anyone, but some groups are high risk. They vary by location; for instance, in parts of Africa all heterosexuals are at risk more than in the US. What I think everyone knows is toothpick-encounterers are not high risk.
And BTW, the World Health Organization includes OCD high on the list of quality of life affecting conditions. Possibly higher than HIV, not sure. Consider treating yours. I'm trying to fix mine.)