PDA

View Full Version : It's been a while - pain behind eye help!

Kirbear4
23-04-17, 20:07
Hi,

So I haven't posted or even been on here for what seems like forever. My HA has taken a back seat for a while thanks to my emetophobia taking over.

However, I now have a major worry regarding my husband.

He has been getting a headache behind his left eye - he describes it as a toothache type pain but also pressure behind his eye. It has been happening on and off for 2 weeks he says (he only mentioned it to me the other day as he knew I'd panic). If he bends over the pain is ridiculous to the point he has to lie down and close his eyes plus takes painkillers which in the 8 years I've known him he very rarely does. He was fine earlier and he said he hadn't been too bad but when he got on the floor to play with the dog the bending caused him severe pain.

He doesn't have any other symptoms that would suggest a cluster headache and he doesn't have any other sinus related symptoms it is purely pain and pressure behind his left eye. Not around it just behind it. Now I am terrified this is a brain tumour as of course Dr google says so. I really hope Dr Google is wrong again.

He does have a couple of beers on an evening but he often does. He drinks a lot of water throughout the day too. He has been under a bit of stress but that seems to be sorted out now.

Somebody please talk some sense in to me!

florida94
24-04-17, 00:49
It could just be a small little set of pain that most likely isn't anything serious. If he has been healthy for awhile, he should be fine. Don't be scared to go to a doctor if you think his pain has been unbearable.

I do know what it feels like to bend down or do anything towards leading forward that causes dizziness to take place. My best piece of advice is to remember that this probably isnt as bad as you think it is.

Don't go to Google. Stop going to Google. lol It's good to go on some occasions, but tbh, your goal should be to stop using the site to research symptoms and possible things that may be wrong. For an anxious person, it will only make matters worse for your caring mind.

But get him checked up. It could be vertigo, general sinus issues..etc it doesn't have to straight up be a brain tumor. It could be a bunch of other very treatable issues.

walkerbull
24-04-17, 00:52
I would suggest he get an eye test done, as for your concerns about BT, headaches in the medical world are a poor indicator of a BT. If it had become that big and was causing pressure he'd have problems

standing, vision, speaking gibberish. I think he most likely has tooth ache that may be radiating to his head muscles, thus causing them to contract.

Again, this is no substitute for a medical opinion.

If he gets worse and develops symptoms such as a fever then I'd suggest you book an appointment.

I guarantee that this 99.99% is being caused by either vision or oral problems.

Kirbear4
24-04-17, 12:27
Thank you. He has an appointment with the nurse this afternoon.

He did go to the opticians a couple of months ago as he got paint in his eye and they checked his eye and sent him to hospital to have it scraped. They didn't mention anything untoward then. That was the same eye but he hasn't had problems with it since.

maianixon
24-04-17, 14:02
Okay so in any case its probably a good idea to get it checked but it could be nothing just to make you not assume the worst :)

About 5-6 years back I had the same kind of pain youre describing behind my eye it was so bad some days I could just lie in bed and whine sometimes I would feel it slightly. They did some basic tests all was fine and then after a couple of weeks it suddenly stopped hurting and everyone sort of forgot about it. Then about 3-4 years back it happpened again same thing - but it turned out to be different eye. That time I had every possible eye test done (a family friend is a really good eye doctor so she helped) and they were all fine. They said the only thing left to check is neurologist but I didn't go bc the idea scared me too much. And then again the pain disappeared and I forgot about it.
Ever since it comes back occasionally, if not weekly , changes between the sides (although mostly left side) but at this point I ignore it. I think it happens more when im stressed / eat unhealthy but not sure. I just figured that if it was something serious something would show in these 5-6 yeaes since it started. Also funnily enough just reading your post made me feel it again.

So I this can calm you down a little, it could literally just be a weird sort of headache. My eye pain has not been explained to this day but 99% of the time I just manage to ignore it and not worry about it

axolotl
24-04-17, 14:14
Sounds a lot like headaches I get sometimes, that are probably stress-related and I've never pinned down an actual reason for. They started over a decade ago before I was HA and just put them down as "one of those things".

He doesn't have any other symptoms that would suggest a cluster headache

he doesn't have any other sinus related symptoms

Now I am terrified this is a brain tumour

Read that back and note the logical fallacy at play, and use it as a lesson as to why we anxious minds shouldn't Google health stuff. You've discounted two common benign conditions because your layman's "research" tells you he doesn't have all the symptoms, and led you to be terrified of a very rare scary condition, even though he doesn't have all the symptoms of that either!

Kirbear4
24-04-17, 15:31
Axolotl that made me smile, it's true isn't it. I didn't even think of that until you pointed it out. To be honest I had to dig deeper to find it as tumour symptoms anyway and usually the scary diagnosis jump straight out at you.

He has got some nasal spray to try. They asked when he last had an eye test and it was early March so she said going by that she isn't concerned but to go back if the spray doesn't work and they'll do further tests. Still can't totally settle but you guys have helped me a lot thank you!