PDA

View Full Version : Scared I have cancer

kittykate234
24-04-17, 00:55
I am a 17 year old girl and I've been having some symptoms for a while that are making me kind of freaked out. I started having gi bleeding (detected by a stool test and anemia) in December and had a colonoscopy and endoscopy, which showed nothing except a small internal hemorrhoid. However, I got my bloods done again which showed mild anemia again (it was 11.6, went down to 11.1) so we took another stool test, which was positive again. My GI told me that the anemia is probably because I wasn't eating enough iron, so he put me on a multivitamin. I recently went to urgent care because of stomach pain in the middle of my stomach. I got a blood test again and my hemoglobin was 11.2. I also did a celiac disease panel and blood test for IBD, both negative. My PCP ordered a pelvic/abdominal MRI, which was normal, however I am scared that the bleeding is coming from the small intestine due to the stool test. I have an MRE scheduled for the 9th.

I am so freaked out because everywhere I look says that obscure GI bleeding that isn't detected by endoscopy is usually caused by a tumor in the small bowel. I am so scared because my hemoglobin has just been going up and down, which I read somewhere is a sign of cancer. I've also been having really awful pain in my left rib that isn't going away. I don't know what to do, I am so young and I feel like I'm going to die. Please help me :weep:

---------- Post added at 23:55 ---------- Previous post was at 23:49 ----------

Also, has anyone else experienced something similar to what I have in terms of bleeding that turned out to be nothing? I feel like I would be more reassured.

Fishmanpa
24-04-17, 00:59
You're "17"... Medical professionals and tests show nothing sinister. If strangers on an internet site told you not to worry would that help? Ok...I wouldn't worry. Sounds like a hemmie and some low iron.

Positive thoughts

walkerbull
24-04-17, 01:02
I seriously doubt you would have bowel cancer at your age, it is mostly prevalent in people over 50. I bleed sometimes when I go to the loo (16) and have had hemorrhoids for about three years. If you have been to the doctor that many times, I seriously suggest that you seek professional therapy. You'd have excruciating stomach pains if you did. Stop worrying, you are not going to die.

And remember your chances of having cancer there are essentially 0%

florida94
24-04-17, 01:25
Yes at such a young age I don't think anything serious is happening. Again, speak to somebody in your family who Is older who can give you some genuine advice and also bring you to another doctor if need be

kittykate234
24-04-17, 01:27
Thanks for the assurance. I guess I'm just worried that my numbers having been going up and down despite me eating well and taking my daily vitamins. My MRE is for checking my small intestine, but that's in 2 weeks. I just don't know what I can do before then that will help me calm down a bit.