PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin question - how long do side effects last?

PixieP
24-04-17, 22:28
Hi all

After struggling on just mirtazapine for a while I've seen a psychiatrist today and have been prescribed Pregabalin 50mg twice daily increasing to 100mg twice daily after a week to augment the mirt. I'm aware that sleepiness is a side effect of this med so the psych has recommended I don't start until the weekend. However, I'm starting a new job next Tuesday and will have to drive further than I currently so I'm a little concerned about the effects of the Pregabalin. Having said that, mirtazapine knocked me out at night initially but I was still capable of driving next morning. Any advice from Pregabalin takers would be gratefully appreciated!

Mindprison
25-04-17, 00:42
Hi pixie

I've been on pregabalin for about a month or so now, initial side effects like dizziness and fatigue evened out after 4 days, but I've seen people post that they went before that. There's also the possibility you won't get any side effects at all. General consensus is that people notice the start up effects to fade anywhere between 3 days to a week!

Best of luck with the pregabalin, hope it helps!

hanshan
25-04-17, 00:48
Hi Pixie,

My experience is that mirtazapine's effect on sleepiness is much stronger than pregabalin, and your starting dose (50 mg) is not high, so you should not have much of a problem. However, everyone reacts differently, so see how you go over the weekend. Don't be afraid to ease into it if you do feel a little dizzy at first - these side effects pass. Overall, I have found the mirtazapine/pregabalin combination very effective for anxiety. Good luck.

PixieP
29-04-17, 13:09
Thanks for the replies and reassurance.
I felt pretty bad on Tuesday so decided to bite the bullet and take my first Pregabalin that night. I literally had no side effects whatsoever but whether this is a good thing or not I don't know. I've had some doctors say that side effects show the drug is working so I'm hoping I'm just lucky and it works without side effects.
I'm now on day 4 but feel like my anxiety is increasing although this could well be due to changing jobs from next Tuesday.
Roughly how long did it take for anyone to feel the therapeutic effects? I know I'm only on day 4 and 50mg x2 per day is a very low dose so at what level did you all really notice a difference?
I have to go back to the psychiatrist a week on Thursday so I'm hoping I may see a change before then.
Thank you all for the support and advice. I'm struggling to accept the person I've become through this anxiety and desperately want to get back to being the old me (although I've learned a lesson through this anxiety about taking on too much so it won't be quite the old me when I recover but hopefully a shiny new and improved version of me)!

Mindprison
29-04-17, 13:48
Hi pixie

Glad to hear you started the pregabalin, I wouldn't worry too much about not having side effects, it might just be one of those meds that agrees with you.

For me I started to feel they took the edge off after a week or so. It's different for everyone but people feel definite benefits between a few hours to a week. The increased anxiety might be a combination of life stresses and the anxiety of starting a new medication. When I upped my mirtazapine dose and started pregabalin I got an instant spike in anxiety levels.

Once all that evens out you should start feeling some good effects from the pregabalin. My psychiatrist says you'll know they're working when you think "hmm, I'm not anxious right now...usually I would be"

Good luck, keep us updated its always nice to read about people's experiences with meds!

---------

Sorry thought I'd add. 100mg a day is quite a low dose that might be why you're not having any side effects. My psychiatrist told me the minimum dose most feel an effect from is 150mg a day. Therapeutic dose varies for everyone but I heard 300-400mg is therapeutic. Some need more and some need less, you'll find what works for you eventually! You have a lot of potential for dose increase so don't worry, I'm sure you'll find one that suits you!

braindead
07-05-17, 17:58
mirtazapine knocks you out the first dose , after that it doesn't do that much , the shrink years ago gave it to anorexic patients , to put some weight on. Now i bet they give them pregabalin because at 450mg and over you put weight on like a prize porker:curse: