PDA

View Full Version : How can I withdraw from Mirtazapine?

Bonnibelle
25-04-17, 11:30
After speaking to my GP today he wants me after 4 years to start weaning down off Mirtazapine as we both agree it's causing me worsening fatigue and it's bad enough with my thyroid.

I am only on 15mg, I have been on that dose for just over 3 years and I started on 7.5mg 8 months prior to that. He said to just break it in half and take 7,5mg. I explained that I've read and been told it's a VERY hard drug to wean off from and tht dropping to half the dose will cause me serious withdrawals which I cannot cope with, having a chronic illness on top it won't be good for me. He said it's fine and hes' never had anyone find it hard to wean off Mirtazapine. I asked for liquid and he said I didn't need to wean off it with liquid slowly.

He said to just drop to 7,5mg for now and see how I feel for a few months. As I have SADS he said next year we will then drop from 7.5mg to 0 slowly.

Mirtazapine has been a helpful drug. I was attacked 5 years ago and I was an anxious wreck, PTSD, agoraphobic etc.. but then since my ill health a year ago it's not helped at all when all the anxiety and agoraphobia returned. Yes it still helps me sleep and eat but other than that I feel no real benefit and I am sure it's actually adding to my faitgue and lack of motivation. I want off all medication but of course to do this very slowly.

Any advice appreciated please as I don't want to just drop to 7,5mg over night.

panic_down_under
25-04-17, 13:40
I explained that I've read and been told it's a VERY hard drug to wean off from

Mirtazapine is usually much easier to quit that SSRIs and other antidepressants. However, withdrawal is at least as much about psychology as chemistry and biology. Believe you will suffer greatly and the anxious mind is quite capable of delivering your worst nightmare for you. So set your own pace, just don't drag it out forever. There is no reason why it should take more than a month to wean of 15mg and most could manage it in half that time with only minimal withdrawal symptoms.

The other issue is what is being done to get anxiety under control? I trust your doctor is not proposing to wait until next year to begin tackling it.

Bonnibelle
25-04-17, 13:53
Hello

My anxiety is part of me since I was attacked, I am having therapy for it. My health is an issue right now as I have a thyroid illness, chronic fatigue and now some issues with white cells and being referred to the hospital. Mirtazapine hasn't helped at all with the anxiety being ill has caused. It helped after the attack 5 years ago but this last year I haven't felt any benefit other than sleep.

My GP is very supportive with my anxiety and has offered CBT etc but I have gone private and have CBT myself.

I will do it at my own pace for sure and I do think my GP is right to do it slowly because of the SAD's during the winter. I have been told by so many it's a very hard drug to wean off from without liquid form to reduce slowly.

Thank you for your reply.

B

drivememad
26-04-17, 16:22
Hi Bonnibelle,

I am tapering off mirtazapine also, I have been on 15mg for 2 years. I was very apprehensive about coming off as some forum posts say its a nightmare to come off.

My GP said it was an easy drug to come off and in his many years as a GP not one person had difficulty coming off, but he has let me taper at my own pace.

1st 2 weeks I alternated with 15mg one day then 7.5mg, I thought I felt some withdrawals? but kept busy and soon realised it was me being over sensitive and I was completely fine no symptoms of withdrawal at all.

I am now on 7.5mg and will take that for 2 weeks then introduce 3.25mg every other day for as long as I feel I want.

My advice is trust your GP and believe this drug is fairly easy for most to come off, if you feel symptoms of withdrawal question them? would you of had that symptom anyway? are you exaggerating the symptoms, keep busy and go slow to gain trust that you will be fine. Do not get scared about horror stories and remember most people don't write " I had a problem free withdrawal from mirtazapine" on help forums, you will only hear the bad stories.

good luck and take that step on coming off at your own pace, x

Bonnibelle
27-04-17, 13:00
Hi Bonnibelle,

I am tapering off mirtazapine also, I have been on 15mg for 2 years. I was very apprehensive about coming off as some forum posts say its a nightmare to come off.

My GP said it was an easy drug to come off and in his many years as a GP not one person had difficulty coming off, but he has let me taper at my own pace.

1st 2 weeks I alternated with 15mg one day then 7.5mg, I thought I felt some withdrawals? but kept busy and soon realised it was me being over sensitive and I was completely fine no symptoms of withdrawal at all.

I am now on 7.5mg and will take that for 2 weeks then introduce 3.25mg every other day for as long as I feel I want.

My advice is trust your GP and believe this drug is fairly easy for most to come off, if you feel symptoms of withdrawal question them? would you of had that symptom anyway? are you exaggerating the symptoms, keep busy and go slow to gain trust that you will be fine. Do not get scared about horror stories and remember most people don't write " I had a problem free withdrawal from mirtazapine" on help forums, you will only hear the bad stories.

good luck and take that step on coming off at your own pace, x

I can't thank you enough for this reply, it has helped ease my mind so much. I have been reading some other mirtazapine forums and it's all horror stories, telling people to wean with liquid 1ml every few weeks. I am like what??? I can't do it that slow and my GP doesn't think I need the liquid.

To be honest I feel so ill on it that I am so used to feeling ill with fatigue this last year that I think, can I feel much worse? so maybe it's good to do this withdrawal now while I feel crap anyway lol!! I kept saying now isn't the right time, well in 4 years there has never been a right time so I have to just go for it.

Did your GP tell you to do the every other day taper? my gp did suggest that but he said it can be a little inconsistent and some people do complain of withdrawals doing it that way.

Thank you again, it really has helped me relax about the withdrawal.

B

aprilmoon
27-04-17, 13:18
Hi bonnibelle
I came off Mirt with no withdrawal problems at all.I came down from 30 over a period of about 2 weeks.
Don't believe all the horror stories, everyone is different.
Good luck and take care x

Bonnibelle
27-04-17, 13:23
Hi bonnibelle
I came off Mirt with no withdrawal problems at all.I came down from 30 over a period of about 2 weeks.
Don't believe all the horror stories, everyone is different.
Good luck and take care x

Wow thank you April.

Can I ask how you withdrew, was it with the tablets? and how long were you on the drug before you withdrew from it? I have been on it almost 4 years.

Thank you for your reassurance.

Julie

aprilmoon
27-04-17, 14:04
Hi
I was on it for about 2years.
I just broke the tablets in half and did it that way :)

Bonnibelle
27-04-17, 14:57
Hi
I was on it for about 2years.
I just broke the tablets in half and did it that way :)

That is very reassuring, thank you.

All the forums I've read they say you taper slow with liquid form and it takes over a year. That is scary.

I hope I can do it with the tablets, I am just too scared to drop down to half a tablet in one hit. My GP said you can just half it or do half every other day but he said that can mess things up a bit as you are going up and down.

Thank you for your kind replies.

B

drivememad
27-04-17, 20:17
Hello,

I am tapering with tablets I cut them with a pill cutter I got from amazon.

My GP said to do alternate days of 15mg for a month then I was to stop.

I told him could I do it by cutting the tablets, he said it was okay if I wanted to do it this way.

I was very afraid to begin with so dad 15mg 1 day then 7.5mg next continued for 2 weeks, I now feel more confident so now taking 7.5mg( 1/2 tablet )daily, I will hold it there for 3 weeks. Then I will either start missing days or 1/4 the tablets ( this can be done, as tried) not sure yet, but I feel in control.

I have had no withdrawal effects yet and to be honest I don't think I will.

I want to lose weight, and like you am so fed up with feeling tired and lethargic add the menopause to the mix and my poor joints groaning with my weight, I must get off this. It helped me when I needed it and am grateful for it.

You can do this too, so take that 1st step you wont regret it.

Julie x

Bonnibelle
27-04-17, 22:32
Hello,

I am tapering with tablets I cut them with a pill cutter I got from amazon.

My GP said to do alternate days of 15mg for a month then I was to stop.

I told him could I do it by cutting the tablets, he said it was okay if I wanted to do it this way.

I was very afraid to begin with so dad 15mg 1 day then 7.5mg next continued for 2 weeks, I now feel more confident so now taking 7.5mg( 1/2 tablet )daily, I will hold it there for 3 weeks. Then I will either start missing days or 1/4 the tablets ( this can be done, as tried) not sure yet, but I feel in control.

I have had no withdrawal effects yet and to be honest I don't think I will.

I want to lose weight, and like you am so fed up with feeling tired and lethargic add the menopause to the mix and my poor joints groaning with my weight, I must get off this. It helped me when I needed it and am grateful for it.

You can do this too, so take that 1st step you wont regret it.

Julie x

Thank you so much Julie (I'm also a Julie lol).

That's so reassuring. It would be great to hear how the rest of your withdrawal goes.

I read the CITA guidelines that many have used to withdraw. Wheee they do 1 week at 7.5mg one day and do the same the following week. All other evebingsvtake the full 15mg. Then in week 3 do 2 days a week 7.5mg and do that for 2 weeks. Then week 5 and 6, 3 days at 7.5mg.... I thought that may be a good plan. I took 7.5mg Monday night and since 15mg. My gp said I could do it the way you are where it's every other night.

I am exhausted constantly and I am sure it's adding to my health issues.

I hope the rest of your taper goes well.

Thank you for reassuring me.
Julie

drivememad
03-05-17, 14:39
Hi Bonnibelle, how are things going with you?

I am now taking 7.5mg a night , I had a bit of nausea which was very mild for 3 days after being on 7.5 for 4 days, but now on day 10 and all is good. I have a phobia of having nausea and it was so mild I was not too bothered.

I feel more connected with the world already, am still sleeping well and still wanting to eat lots, so not yet lost any weight. I find it easier to get up in the mornings too.

let me know how you are?

Bonnibelle
04-05-17, 12:31
Hi Drive

Well I started withdrawal last weekend. I am only going down 1mg every 2 weeks, decided to do a slow taper. So far ok, just some nausea and bloated tummy feeling, don't seem as hungry as usual.

I was told you don't don't feel withdrawals for 10 days with a drop, I hope that's not true lol!!

Glad you are doing so well.

B

drivememad
04-05-17, 15:26
Hi Bonnibell,

I am on day 11 now at 7.5 and no withdrawals yet, I don't think I will get them now.

I have had my usual minor anxieties... but I would of had them anyway, I had to remind myself of that, and not get in a panic thinking awful withdrawal symptoms were coming.

If you do have a blip and its normal for you, try and wait a bit before you panic and talk yourself into horrendous withdrawals and increase your mirt. Remember you still will have mood changes, bad and good days, just like when on your full dose of Mirt.

Another tip is to stop looking at the posts about Mirt withdrawal, I have been looking at them and it is not helping.

Both our GPs said it is easy to come off and many people have come off with little effort.
I looked here http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/treatmentswellbeing/antidepressants/comingoffantidepressants.aspx

it says Mirtazapine is easiest anti depressant to come off.

keep strong.

Bonnibelle
05-05-17, 13:22
Hi Bonnibell,

I am on day 11 now at 7.5 and no withdrawals yet, I don't think I will get them now.

I have had my usual minor anxieties... but I would of had them anyway, I had to remind myself of that, and not get in a panic thinking awful withdrawal symptoms were coming.

If you do have a blip and its normal for you, try and wait a bit before you panic and talk yourself into horrendous withdrawals and increase your mirt. Remember you still will have mood changes, bad and good days, just like when on your full dose of Mirt.

Another tip is to stop looking at the posts about Mirt withdrawal, I have been looking at them and it is not helping.

Both our GPs said it is easy to come off and many people have come off with little effort.
I looked here http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/treatmentswellbeing/antidepressants/comingoffantidepressants.aspx

it says Mirtazapine is easiest anti depressant to come off.

keep strong.

Great advice, thank you :-)

Yes, I am staying off forums, I was just told early on I'd have bad withdrawal from day 10 so now I am on day 7 I am thinking I am not getting away lightly and it'll hit me after the weekend lol!!!

Keep me updated on here with how you are doing. I am taking it much slower I know, but I think I am just doing that for peace of mind because I was too scared to drop straight down to half a tablet.

Good luck, you are doing really well!

panic_down_under
05-05-17, 22:53
I was just told early on I'd have bad withdrawal from day 10

You will only if you believe you will. If there are any physical withdrawal symptoms they will always start well before plasma levels of a med drop to zero. Mirtazapine is eliminated within 4-8 days of the last dose and withdrawal symptoms will usually begin within 2-3 days.

OTOH, psychological withdrawal can begin at any time. Also many people have difficulty distinguishing between withdrawal symptoms and a return of the symptoms of the underlying anxiety. Anxiety (also depression) may return sooner with mirtazapine than with SSRIs, SNRIs and TCAs as it really isn't an antidepressant, but a sedative.

LisaCM
18-05-17, 17:03
Hi there,

I just wanted to give you my experience of stopping Mirtazapine.
I have been on and off it for about 8 or 9 years.
Currently I am on 30mg and am looking to stop them because they are no longer working and I have put on a shed load of weight which is contributing to my mood and anxiety.
I was on 45mg and have cut that back to 30mg for about 2 months now. My CPN is changing and I've waited a month to see anyone again so I have held off cutting back further because of that.
Also, I have tried so many meds over the years and Mirtazapine was one of the very few that were effective for me.
To let you know what happened in the past, I had to stop them when I was pregnant twice and I was also on them briefly after my son was born and I stopped them.
I didn't have any withdrawals from them at all. Like you, I read a lot of stuff on the internet which terrified me and doesn't help our confidence any.
Recently, I was also prescribed some Diazepam and had been taking it daily for about 8 or 9 weeks and read about horror stories on the internet. I was actually fine when I stopped them and know that no matter what I will never take them again.
Easier said than done, I know, but try not to worry too much about it.

drivememad
18-05-17, 22:00
Thank you Lisa, I am now on 3.75mg a day and all is going great I feel the rest of my taper will go well, no symptoms just a bit of insomnia, I cant wait to lose some weight. I think I could of jumped off at 7.5mg but am being cautious.

The worst part for me was actually starting the taper, with all these horror stories written about Mirt withdrawal.

I hope people scared of stopping Mirt read this and take comfort that it can go well.

Mirt was a good drug for me and helped me get through a very bad patch.

How are things going for you Bonnibelle?

ScaredOwl
10-07-17, 19:04
I started coming of mirtazapine in March last year. By July I had come off it. I just slowly went down. So 45-30-22.5-15-7.5-3.75. I just chopped the tablets up. Tried to be as accurate as I could.

I had an awful cough early on, so when I went down to 30mg, it was present for about a week at most. A week or so later I got a full blown cold. I had an awful day of anxiety at one point, was off the roof. And I do seem to remember one night it felt like there was a thunderstorm going off in my head.

Just go down slowly. I read about awful withdrawal symptoms online and it scared me. Try not to focus on them, because I think they will make you feel worse, and it will cause you all sorts of anxiety and worry. Be aware it's not always going to be easy but as long as you go down slowly and get help from your doctor if you're struggling you should be ok.

I am going back on them now after a year as I'm really struggling without any sort of medication now. I'm still depressed with anxiety, but a year ago it felt like it had stopped working as effectively, as my mood started slipping with skyrocketing anxiety.

Autumn4
10-07-17, 20:10
I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms at all & I was worried that I would. I took them every other day & then every third day until i was down to nothing. I did that for maybe a couple of months. Different story for me tapering on diazepam !!

drivememad
05-09-17, 14:29
After a 5 month taper I am finally off mirtazapine.

No withdrawals, I feel good and am steadily loosing weight.

Mirtazapine helped me when I was in a bad place, and I am grateful for the help it gave me.

I was so scared to stop taking it, that is why I tapered slowly ,to gain confidence in that nothing horrible will happen ( read to many horror stories )

I am sleeping well too and have more energy.

For those who want to come off Mirt, please give it a go, good luck x

Maca44
05-09-17, 21:06
Great to hear that you have managed to come off and done so in a safe way. It is also good to hear that this drug had done it's job when you were in a bad place so encouraging for me to know that when the time is right I will be able to reduce as you have and hopefully come off without any major problems.

Well done and good luck