PDA

View Full Version : Diabetees fear still

willous1
25-04-17, 22:36
I can't sleep or stop googling. I did a test from Lloyds after a four hour fast and my glucose levels came up as 5.4 from a fingerprick test. I have changed my diet since then a month ago and have lost some weight but google is scaring me. I'm so close the 5.6 which the American diabetees site say is pre diabetic and someone with that would get it within 10 years. No-one can help and id I go doctors I will keep going again. Lloyds said 5.4 is normal but can I lower It? Is it okay? Can I diet lower It? Nothing on Google can tell me and there is no info. Does 5.4 mean it's a matter of time or doea it go up amd down? Please someone help.

---------- Post added at 22:29 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

Basically as long as I eat well and excersice from now then 10 years down the line i shouldnt get it right? I was told to fast for 4 hours so is 5.4 normal? I can't call a doctor as I will just start becoming obsessed again.

---------- Post added at 22:36 ---------- Previous post was at 22:29 ----------

I've just read on diabetees.co.uk that with pre diabetees you can reverse it so even if I did have pre diabetees it's not too late. I know people live normal lives etc with diabetees but with my anxiety I can't even cope with a headache.

willous1
26-04-17, 09:12
Anyone

axolotl
26-04-17, 11:52
Hi, you're probably getting no reply because these are technical medical questions which no-one here is qualified to answer. I have no real idea as to what any of what you're saying means. Although it sounds like nothing to worry about and you're obsessing to a dangerous degree about tiny fluctuations within normal ranges on something most people wouldn't even know about because they don't go testing themselves every five minutes.

What we can advise is that self-testing and Googling symptoms only leads you to a dark place. I know it's hard, but stop testing yourself, stop Googling symptoms. You do need to see a doctor, but to talk them about anxiety.

I see from your post history this is just one of a series of fears, and so diabetes itself is arbitrary as just another thing your anxious mind has popped itself in your head

Bailey2001
26-04-17, 14:34
I would definitely not use Lloyds in order to confirm whether or not you have diabetes. Their test is absolutely shambolic as i had one a few years ago and the result came up as having diabetes.

So i went to the doctors, as i should have done in the first place and had a proper test and guess what? Wasnt diabetic....

If you are so concerned, go see your GP and have the test.

thanks

jamiebythesea
26-04-17, 15:09
I agree with Bailey about Lloyds. If you must check your levels, get a testing kit recommended by diabetes uk or someone similar and do your own testing. One test doesn't mean anything anyway, levels go up and down during the day/week. Visit your GP to set your mind at rest. 5.4 isn't high. Go to the diabetes website and see what things you can do to lower your levels in the meantime. Good luck

willous1
26-04-17, 18:53
Thank you so much people. I panicked last night. I've taken steps to lose weight and have lost 9 pounds since the tests. The lady at Lloyds just said when I had it done that it was normal and that was that. I had a proper test done 1 and a half years ago and it was 4.8. I'm gonna chill now as even if it is 5.4 then that's normal.

Josh1234
26-04-17, 19:33
Have you spoken to a doctor about your anxiety?

mdel
27-04-17, 03:14
My mother which is in her 40's a few years ago had a complete blood test and she appeared to be diabetic in the test results. Then the doctor ordered a new blood test which is a lot more precise. They made her drink something like a glucose and wait for a few minutes/hours. Then they extracted her blood and the test became veeeeery negative.

Error in labs aren't common, but it usually happens. And most of errors are false positives. I also heard it deppends on what you eat the day before the test. Other thing that I've heard is that the limit depends on the lab, so don't search for limits in Google.
Also it's good to hear that your test came back negative. It means you aren't diabetic, time to move on and live the life :)

Fishmanpa
27-04-17, 12:07
Error in labs aren't common, but it usually happens.

No, errors in labs aren't that common and they don't usually happen!

Positive thoughts