PDA

View Full Version : triggers

helenhoo
26-04-17, 23:09
I'm not reverting back to my old ways I hope

I am easily triggered lately, articles on websites and designed thay friends of friends have passed away.

How do you get over this?

MyNameIsTerry
27-04-17, 01:22
I'm sorry to hear about your granddad. :hugs::flowers: This is likely adding to all this, it would for anyone, and you may experience increased anxiety for a time whilst you grieve.

As far as not being triggered by articles like this, only working on your issues is going to do this for you. Until you reach that point in recovery, like most on here, these things are going to be triggering for you.

I hope people consider this when posting.

ElectricAlice
27-04-17, 14:22
CBT exposure therapy is a process for reducing fear and anxiety responses. In therapy, a person is gradually exposed to a feared situation or object, learning to become less sensitive over time.

Try to look at it completely rationally; pick apart your fear.

For example - can you answer these questions?

What will happen if I see an article that scares me?
What will happen if it triggers my anxiety?
Do I believe what I read will happen to me?
If it does trigger my anxiety how will I feel?
Have I felt like this before?
What's the worst that will happen other than anxious thoughts?

Try to see your thoughts as thought bubbles in front of you, let them pass, accept them. Think to yourself 'my thoughts are not reality' - you and you alone are responsible for the emotions that happen from your thoughts.

If you can try to not react in an anxious way to your thoughts, this is a good step.

Picturing a big red dial in your mind and 'turning down' the volume on the anxious thoughts helps too.

helenhoo
27-04-17, 20:00
Just ranting - I had netflix on, on menu screen and was sure whatever was on (wasn't loading anything) was a brain scan in the background image. I couldn't find it after and then worries it was a sign saying I needed one....

helenhoo
27-04-17, 20:13
Haha, or if you're British there's dopey old Trigger from only fools and horses ��

Catherine S
27-04-17, 20:31
Trigger from only fools & horses...the origional "call me dave" lol! I loved him :D

ISB ☺

MyNameIsTerry
28-04-17, 01:21
Hah! Trigger was ace. He was good in The Vicar of Dibley too. RIP Roge Lloyd-Pack.

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/333529/slide_333529_3328437_free.gif

"I've had this broom 20 years. It's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles" :wacko::biggrin: