PDA

View Full Version : petechiae

sammyc7392
27-04-17, 19:44
Hi All,

i seem to have been getting these more and more lately. Im kind of freaking out and what is the reason? I have had 3 liver Panels done in the past 3 mo and 2 CBC's along with going to a Rheumy all bloods normal. is it possible that these just appear for no reason? im getting very worried. im 24.

sammyc7392
28-04-17, 16:30
Can anyone calm me down? im really freaking out as i see more of them. theyre so tiny, but im finding more and more i cant stop thinking i have Leukemia

axolotl
28-04-17, 17:51
You're blood's normal. What can anyone here say more convincing than that? Congrats on the all clear.

CHELLEB1017
28-04-17, 18:06
I have got them from scratching and from leaning over the bathtub to wash my 11 month old! They can happen from the simplest things!

sammyc7392
28-04-17, 20:55
my problem is, can this miss that this is leukemia? the petechiae are randomly showing up on different places. not in a rash but individual pinpoints. i dont know of any trauma or anyhting i did to this im really scared.

CHELLEB1017
28-04-17, 20:57
From what I know (I am not a doctor though) Leukimia would show for sure markers on a cbc!

sammyc7392
05-05-17, 21:12
Does anyone know if Mirtazipine can cause Petechiae

Meriland30
06-05-17, 17:20
Hi All,

i seem to have been getting these more and more lately. Im kind of freaking out and what is the reason? I have had 3 liver Panels done in the past 3 mo and 2 CBC's along with going to a Rheumy all bloods normal. is it possible that these just appear for no reason? im getting very worried. im 24.

If it is any consolation, if I scratch or rub parts of my body, I get those as well, I have had them on the top of my soft palate in my mouth for crying out loud. There are several reasons for it, like very serious viral or fungal infections which, if those were evident, you would be VERY sick and have a high grade fever. If you don't have a fever, we can rule this out. Okay, so now we have medication side effects.
Anticoagulants (warfarin, heparin)
Atropine (Atropen)
Carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Epitol, Tegretol, others)
Chloral hydrate (Somnote)
Desipramine (Norpramin)
Indomethacin (Indocin)
Naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprosyn)
Nitrofurantoin (Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin)
Penicillin
Quinine (Qualaquin)
If you don't take any of these, we can rule that out...
Now, for the 'other' category. You said you had a CBC, as well as a metabolic panel.. that eliminates scurvy, low platelets, leukemia, and vit. K deficiency.
The only options left are literally sunburn, straining, coughing, or crying.

It is likely benign

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

Does anyone know if Mirtazipine can cause Petechiae

0.1% of people that take that drug develop petechiae. Is possible, but very unlikely.

StirCrazy
06-05-17, 18:24
From what I know (I am not a doctor though) Leukimia would show for sure markers on a cbc!

Hi. What's a cbc?

Meriland30
06-05-17, 18:36
complete blood count. A standard blood test.

StirCrazy
06-05-17, 19:28
Ah. Ok. I'm not well versed in the acronyms - though at least I didn't think it meant a Canadian sports network.

I should look up what they actually check for in a cbc.