PDA

View Full Version : 15 months at 20 MG Cit and not Workng

Dobster
28-04-17, 10:00
Good morning all
I'm going to be a bit of a stereotype here and say it's my first time posting and looking for advice about general anxiety and the use of Citalopram.

I'm a reasonably healthy 45 year old male with 3 kids, a lovely partner and have a good job as a Marine Engineer........However, all that glitters is not gold!!

Before this episode I had used Citalopram on two occasions over the last 15 years, the first time was 20 mg for around 4 years or so and it helped greatly, I had twin boys, built a house and managed to run a successful business so all was good.
On the second occasion I had lost my mother to Cancer and had a change of career so once more I took 20 mg for around 6 months.

About 15 months ago I had a bad a bit of a prostate health scare and spiralled into a state of Anxiety, Worry, Doubt, Fear and general patheticness(is this a word)
My Gp who I've known well for many years put me on 10 mg Cit for a few weeks and eventually 20 mg with 80 mg Propranolol slow release to take as and when. Over the last 15 months or so I've not really had many really good days and anxiety is constantly around in some form or another. I can function reasonably well most of the time but I get really random bursts of negativity, panic, and general anxiety.
My question is, could the Citalopram dose be too high, too low or just not working anymore? Is their any good alternatives that I could ask to try?
Any advice would be appreciated.

snowghost57
01-05-17, 20:43
I would talk to your doctor and see if a change in medication maybe needed or see a therapist.

cweightman82
02-05-17, 23:34
Hello there and welcome :)

I was in a similar situation last year, was on citalopram but had a major anxiety setback which really shook me up and I honestly thought I'd never feel better.
My doctor suggested counselling through a self referral service (Sorry I can't remember what it was called) and it helped no end.

Perhaps a combination of therapy and medication may help you? I'm still on citalopram but believe the therapy helped me cope much better.

Might be worth asking your gp about.

Try not to get distressed about it (easier said than done I know), there is always light at the end of the tunnel, some tunnels are just a bit longer than others ��