PDA

View Full Version : Worried that there is something wrong with me while waiting for blood test results

scaredpt
28-04-17, 16:22
Went to my GP for a second time about my lymph node and was reassured about it, and I think I will try to trust them this time. However, he did bloodwork, and now I am going crazy wondering what it could be. I looked up and saw that cancer could be detected from bloodwork, so im worried it will come back and I'll have a terrible diagnosis. He said he was just checking for mono since my tonsils were swollen but im driving myself mad waiting for the results

bin tenn
28-04-17, 16:37
Nope, you're fine. Just continue living your life, be happy, and don't worry. People get blood work done all the time.

Worrywart1234
29-04-17, 10:30
I think I can help. You would know if they were testing for cancer.
5 years ago I discovered I had a tumour and they did a special blood test to see if it was nasty - I had to collect all my urine for 48 hours and had to have the test at a certain time after the first wee of the day. The results took 2 weeks to come backIf you didn't have this test, they're not checking for cancer

scaredpt
29-04-17, 15:21
I don't feel sick or anything but am just worried they could find luekemia or something similar because those are found on blood test and have no symptoms

bin tenn
29-04-17, 17:04
That's always a possibility, for anyone, but the chances are extremely slim.

scaredpt
29-04-17, 17:10
Unfortunately I am focusing on the small possibility and taking that as a given, that I will get some terrible diagnosis this week

bin tenn
29-04-17, 20:56
You won't. No need to torture yourself like that.

scaredpt
30-04-17, 20:10
I'm trying to be rational but it's so hard! The uncertainty is bad

Fishmanpa
30-04-17, 20:22
I'm trying to be rational but it's so hard! The uncertainty is bad

I don't feel sick or anything... and have no symptoms

So you don't feel sick nor have any symptoms. The doctor is checking for mono not cancer. If he were checking for cancer, he would have said as much in light of your fears. You've also poked the living hell out of your nodes which isn't helping things. I have a "Told ya so!" all ready. When you get that all clear, you should look into some help with your anxiety.

Positive thoughts

scaredpt
01-05-17, 20:22
Update: I had undiagnosed mono. So something was wrong, but doctor said symptoms should resolve soon.