PDA

View Full Version : Feeling very anxious about possible fraud

Emily101115
29-04-17, 09:49
Hi all I am new to posting in this area of the forum as I normally post in the 'health anxiety' section.I have been worry free about my health for a few weeks now.

I received a phone call on Thursday from a No caller ID they asked if they could speak to (my name and also a birth name I don't use anymore) I said speaking I can't remember what company they claimed to be from! They asked if my postcode was ...... I said yes!
They asked if I was younger than 79 but older than 20 I said correct
They than asked if I was happy with my bank account and I said right they than ok thanks bye and put the phone down!

Ever since this I have been in such a panic thinking what have a done what is going to happen.

I called my bank and told them they confirmed with me all of my transactions she also asked if I have gave over any of my bank details which I haven't and she said good!
She couldn't see anything else coming out of my account that shouldn't be but she told me to keep an eye on things over the next few days and call them back straight if a transaction goes out that I don't know what it is for.They have made a note of this on my account as they said they work really hard to stop fraudulent claims going out but very occasionally they get through.

This has left me felling sick,shakey my heart feels like it's racing.I keep checking my bank account i feel like I am so paranoid (I have never been like this) I don't know what to do just want to be on my own and not move

MyNameIsTerry
29-04-17, 10:09
They might have been cold calling to get you to switch banks. So, it might have been a valid call? If it was a fraud call, you did the right thing anyway by cutting it off.

I really wouldn't worry about it. You gave them no information, they have nothing to thy can use.

I would suggest trying to distract your mind from this. It is likely you will never hear anything further.

I get fraud emails claiming to be from banks, including my own, old internet providers, etc. They are annoying but as long as you give nothing away, and don't click on anything, you are safe.

I hope you feel better soon.

Emily101115
30-04-17, 13:53
They might have been cold calling to get you to switch banks. So, it might have been a valid call? If it was a fraud call, you did the right thing anyway by cutting it off.

I really wouldn't worry about it. You gave them no information, they have nothing to thy can use.

I would suggest trying to distract your mind from this. It is likely you will never hear anything further.

I get fraud emails claiming to be from banks, including my own, old internet providers, etc. They are annoying but as long as you give nothing away, and don't click on anything, you are safe.

I hope you feel better soon.
Thank you for your reply,I feel a bit more reassured.I am just wondering what I would do to find out if I have been scammed.

MyNameIsTerry
30-04-17, 15:12
I doubt you will find out. It's like those people who try to get bank details over the phone, they sound genuine at first and then you suss them out. You never find out who they are or why they are doing it, just that they were scammers.

The important part is sussing them out and stopping before they get anything they can use, which you did.

Think about what they gained. If I know your phone number, I can get your address to know your postcode unless you are ex directory. If you are on the electoral roll I can see you as inside an age bracket because of the information given to the census, unless you have opted out to keep your details away from sales companies using them for reasons of privacy.

So, what have they really gained? Assuming you are not ex directory and not opting out of the new information sharing of electoral roll data - you only gave them answers they already knew. If you have opted out, they only gained what Tyne vast majority of the public allow them to see who don't opt out (I'm not opted out).

They only thing they seemed to gain was whether you are happy with your bank. But what does that give them? Nothing. It gives them no more than if they asked you if you like anything else.