PDA

View Full Version : Coming back on Fluoxetine Side Affects

flyingalone
29-04-17, 12:02
Hey everyone. I've been on fluoxetine previously, but I'm only just coming back on it after detoxing for a while (I got scared to take it). I spoke to my doctor about restarting it and he advised it. But I totally forgot what the side affects where; I'm now worried because I've become super-tired all the time but can't sleep much, I had a migraine the other night that was painful and I keep feeling 'spaced out'. Anyone else feel like that?

panic_down_under
29-04-17, 22:43
I'm now worried because I've become super-tired all the time but can't sleep much,

Tiredness and insomnia are fairly common SSRI side-effects. Adding a small dose of the sedating antihistamine/antidepressant mirtazapine (Remeron) at night should help with the insomnia, though being a relatively long acting med the sedation may linger into the next morning.

I had a migraine the other night that was painful and I keep feeling 'spaced out'. Anyone else feel like that?

Serotonergic antidepressants may trigger headaches initially as they can affect blood vessel tone, constriction and dilation, but migraines are uncommon. They can also trigger depersonalisation and derealisation, however, these are also fairly common anxiety symptoms. Whatever the cause, the 'spaced out' feeling should ease as the med begins to work.

The thing to keep in mind is that while antidepressant side-effects can be unpleasant and sometimes scary, they rarely indicate actual harm. The brain and other organs of the body affected by them usually adapt to the med within a few weeks without any long-term consequences.

TheSunInYourShade
29-04-17, 23:17
I take fluoxertine and find that bio-magnesium supplements really help with sleep and general well "feeling".

X

flyingalone
02-05-17, 14:47
Thank you both a lot :)

Justy
05-05-17, 11:28
Hello I went back on fluoxetine last year and I did get the same side effects I got last time around. Since then I am back up to 60mg but it has done the world of good and feeling much better. I know it horrible but you just have to stick it out and you will see results in the end. :)

flyingalone
09-05-17, 21:20
Hello I went back on fluoxetine last year and I did get the same side effects I got last time around. Since then I am back up to 60mg but it has done the world of good and feeling much better. I know it horrible but you just have to stick it out and you will see results in the end. :)

thank you so much, it's so nice to know I am not the only one who has been through this. I'm back on it and things seem to be okay right now.