PDA

View Full Version : New Muscle Twitch Thread

walkerbull
30-04-17, 12:50
So as some members previously asked why I deleted my thread, I have created a new one.

I was good this morning and was giddy that my twitches had gone. Then, in the afternoon my index finger went crazy and at the same time my face on my right side was also twitching.

I then, asked my Mum to take me to the GP, she asked "Why?" referring to the fact, oops just got shouted at

Time for bed,

Regards, Hunter.

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Does anyone know why my fingers are twitching and why one hand feels numb?, I have a school trip tomorrow and its nearly 12 AM so so scared I can't get to sleep.

axolotl
30-04-17, 13:32
If you hadn't deleted the other thread you'd be able to see all the advice already for this. Not sure it's worth wasting time repeating it.

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

Because I'm a sucker I'll summarise...

1. Stop dwelling on symptoms.
2. Go to the doctor about anxiety, alone if necessary
3. Be nice to your mum and stop running to her with every twitch

Apart from that I'm not wasting any more virtual breath, not our fault you deleted all your good advice. And when you're sneering at Darkside? Have a good think why people are getting frustrated there.

ScaredLizard
30-04-17, 17:25
If you hadn't deleted the other thread you'd be able to see all the advice already for this. Not sure it's worth wasting time repeating it.

Apart from that I'm not wasting any more virtual breath, not our fault you deleted all your good advice. And when you're sneering at Darkside? Have a good think why people are getting frustrated there.

Just going to say Ditto. You had tons of good caring advice on the last thread

walkerbull
30-04-17, 21:59

My Mum has threatened to exile me to one of my awful aunties who treats me like trash. And she is I believe going to.

That said, I went too far when I flew off the handle last night essentially calling her a bad mother in the heat of the moment.

BazB44
30-04-17, 22:15
theres at least 400 threads about twitches. Safe to say, twitching is normal for us anxiety people lol.

walkerbull
30-04-17, 23:06
Including index fingers, back, upper arms, face?

axolotl
30-04-17, 23:09
Including index fingers, back, upper arms, face?

Have you read a single word people have posted? Seriously?

walkerbull
30-04-17, 23:15
Have you read a single word people have posted? Seriously?

Well why is it being caused then?

There are so many conditions listed.

axolotl
30-04-17, 23:17
Heat 'pounding' is a common sign of anxiety, as your body tries to compensate the manifested "imminent" danger and thus increases flood flow to your hands and legs.

Hence the term "fight or flight".

Can you explain how someone can post this on another thread and yet keep this thread going? It's honestly making no sense to me.

walkerbull
30-04-17, 23:20
Thats irrelevant.

This thread is about twitching.

axolotl
30-04-17, 23:24
Thats irrelevant.

This thread is about twitching.

So you grasp the concept of the physical symptoms of anxiety when someone's talking about heart palpitations, with accurate and quite technical knowledge, but you ignore every single person trying to reassure you about twitches with good advice? AND you have the temerity to openly mock other posters?

Fishmanpa
30-04-17, 23:32
Thats irrelevant.

It's TOTALLY relevant. If you can reply logically to another poster, you can apply logic to yourself. If you know what "fight or flight" is, then you know that twitching is a very common symptom of anxiety and you're posting on an anxiety forum after all.

In a previous reply on this thread, you started your response with "Whatever". It appears that sentiment is being echoed.

I hope you find a path to healing.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

walkerbull
30-04-17, 23:41
Ok can you convince me than I am not dying of an awful disease like a tumour, ALS, MS, and MND.

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:40 ----------

So you grasp the concept of the physical symptoms of anxiety when someone's talking about heart palpitations, with accurate and quite technical knowledge, but you ignore every single person trying to reassure you about twitches with good advice? AND you have the temerity to openly mock other posters?

In my defence the concept that someone can contract cancer from the light being on is less scary than the physical symptoms I have, that is why I mocked that thread because it holds no water.

axolotl
30-04-17, 23:42
Ok can you convince me than I am not dying of an awful disease like a tumour, ALS, MS, and MND.

:doh: :wall:

ScaredLizard
30-04-17, 23:50
We are not here to convince you you aren't dying of a disease. You have to overcome your own anxiety and convince yourself.

Muscle twitches, in your arms, legs, boobs, butt, eyes are caused by anxiety. Especially if you have an anxiety disorder. The other night I lay in bed and was worrying about twitching because my seizure meds have been tweaked. I worried myself into twitches in my stomach, side, hands and arms.

walkerbull
30-04-17, 23:53
We are not here to convince you you aren't dying of a disease. You have to overcome your own anxiety and convince yourself.

Muscle twitches, in your arms, legs, boobs, butt, eyes are caused by anxiety. Especially if you have an anxiety disorder. The other night I lay in bed and was worrying about twitching because my seizure meds have been tweaked. I worried myself into twitches in my stomach, side, hands and arms.

Makes sense I guess

Catherine S
30-04-17, 23:55
I think if Walkerbull had twitches in his boobs then he really should be starting to worry Scaredlizard :ohmy:

ISB ☺

ScaredLizard
30-04-17, 23:57
I think if Walkerbull had twitches in his boobs then he really should be starting to worry Scaredlizard :ohmy:

ISB ☺

Well his 'moobs' then lol. My husband woke me up from a dead sleep last week to say 'hey look at my boob! It's twitching like my eye!' the dork thought it was hilarious and worth me losing sleep over :roflmao:

walkerbull
01-05-17, 00:03
I went on "Smart Health" the other night and as the question about twitching, I got this response.

"In Brief:Examination"

"There are many reasons for twitching, but they can also because by some diseases, please go to your doctor"

Then got equally vague responses from doctors simply saying "Go to your GP"

And when I asked what examinations they would make she replied

"I can't explain"

And you tell me I am being irrational.

ScaredLizard
01-05-17, 00:08
I went on "Smart Health" the other night and as the question about twitching, I got this response.

"In Brief:Examination"

"There are many reasons for twitching, but they can also because by some diseases, please go to your doctor"

Then got equally vague responses from doctors simply saying "Go to your GP"

And when I asked what examinations they would make she replied

"I can't explain"

And you tell me I am being irrational.

You are.

http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/signs/muscle-twitching

Muscle twitching is absolutely a sign of anxiety, and one that can cause a great deal of distress. Usually the fear with muscle twitching is that it might mean something more. People worry that their twitching may not just be anxiety, and if it is, they worry that they can't control it.

http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms/muscle-twitching.shtml

A certain muscle, group, or groups of muscles twitch (jerk) involuntarily. Even if you try and relax the muscle, group, or groups of muscles the twitching continues.

It may involve one particular muscle or group of muscles, or may randomly shift from one group to another. It also may include several different muscles or groups of muscles at one time.

The twitching may appear for a few brief moments, last for minutes or hours, or persist for days, weeks, or indefinitely. It’s also common for muscle twitching to persist or worsen when trying to rest or go to sleep. Muscle twitching also may stop when resting or sleeping then resume upon waking up.

Many notice that the twitching gets worse as stress elevates, but not necessarily lessens right away when stress is reduced.

All variations and combinations of the above are common.

The terms “nervous tick” and “nervous twitch” are often used to describe muscle twitching due to elevated stress and anxiety.

This symptom can affect ANY muscle or group of muscles in the body, including those in the head, face, eyes, mouth, neck, shoulders, back, chest, abdomen, stomach, esophagus, groin, genitalia, arms, hands, fingers, legs, feet, toes, etc.

This symptom is also associated with anxiety disorder muscle twitching, muscle twitching pins and needles, muscle twitching and pain, muscle twitching and weakness, muscle twitching and tingling, and muscle twitching and stress, to name a few.

walkerbull
01-05-17, 01:46
Also, does anyone know what the flashes and lights in vision are?

Fishmanpa
01-05-17, 02:28
Please read THIS. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms) And THIS. (http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml#symptomslist)

Positive thoughts

nivekc251
01-05-17, 02:56
I twitch everywhere everyday. I've always twitched occasionally when I was younger but at the time I didn't give a sh!t. The best thing to do is ignore them. They can come from vitamin deficiencies, viruses, anxiety etc.. Have a real doctor check you out for deficiencies and stop wasting your time with the online docs most answers start with I can't tell you because I can't physically examine you. Which is true so go see your PCP and trust what they say. Don't be like me using my phone flashlight sitting and waiting to see twitches you got to live bro. Try to relax

BazB44
01-05-17, 03:44
I cant say anything negative to the poster. I understand his scare. I had it for a long time. I still kinda do, but I'm more worried about involuntary movements now. Sometimes my fingers just move by themselves. The twitches, well, its important to think back on life: Have you had them for ages? I have, and that's why I stopped worrying about them.

walkerbull
01-05-17, 04:10
I cant say anything negative to the poster. I understand his scare. I had it for a long time. I still kinda do, but I'm more worried about involuntary movements now. Sometimes my fingers just move by themselves. The twitches, well, its important to think back on life: Have you had them for ages? I have, and that's why I stopped worrying about them.

I first got it in my check, then it went to my chin and lip, thereafter my entire body.

ScaredLizard
01-05-17, 04:25

The problem is this poster had a 7(?) page or so thread with really good advice and links and deleted it and then made one exactly like the other.

People's annoyance is more that he deleted one post and ignored good advice and info

walkerbull
01-05-17, 04:51
I didn't ignore the advice, the advice I received I am currently trying (and failing to implement)

---------- Post added at 03:51 ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 ----------

I was delighted by most of the advice given. I come back because I rebound

MyNameIsTerry
01-05-17, 04:51
In my defence the concept that someone can contract cancer from the light being on is less scary than the physical symptoms I have, that is why I mocked that thread because it holds no water.

Nope. Threads shouldn't be mocked otherwise we can't complain when non sufferers mock us. Fear is fear. There are far more serious mental health conditions that involve even less reality.

Your worries are as credible as that poster. You have absolutely no evidence to support your worries just as they didn't. It was about skewed perception.

When you punch details into a diagnostic site it will always carry a disclaimer telling you to see a doctor. That's so they don't get sued when someone doesn't.

Anxiety symptoms overlap into many conditions and the problem with a HAer filling one of them in is that they will concentrate on explaining physical symptoms and forget to mention anything of a mental nature. This bias influences the search results.

ServerError
01-05-17, 04:52
If you're walking down the street and you hear hooves, it might just be a zebra. But if zebra is the first place your mind goes, you need to change the way you think. Your first thought should always be horse. Unless you live on the savannah. And even then, the ground is soft so you'd be less likely to hear hooves.

Long story short: hear hooves, think horse. Not zebra.

walkerbull
01-05-17, 04:57
If you're walking down the street and you hear hooves, it might just be a zebra. But if zebra is the first place your mind goes, you need to change the way you think. Your first thought should always be horse. Unless you live on the savannah. And even then, the ground is soft so you'd be less likely to hear hooves.

Well, what are you relating the horse to?

ServerError
01-05-17, 04:59
Well, what are you relating the horse to?

The hoof sounds are your twitches. The horse is anxiety.

walkerbull
01-05-17, 05:02
As a matter of curiosity Terry, in what instance would you say 'Yep you need to go to the emergency room'

MyNameIsTerry
01-05-17, 05:13
Well his 'moobs' then lol. My husband woke me up from a dead sleep last week to say 'hey look at my boob! It's twitching like my eye!' the dork thought it was hilarious and worth me losing sleep over :roflmao:

:biggrin:

Well I think that was worth waking you up for, women say men can't multi task and this proves your husband can! :winks:

---------- Post added at 05:13 ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 ----------

As a matter of curiosity Terry, in what instance would you say 'Yep you need to go to the emergency room'

Nothing I've seen posted on the HA board making people anxious.

If I broke my leg - go to ER. Heart attack - ER. Banged my head, was unconscious - ER. Need stitches due to injury - ER.

Cancer signs - GP. ALS signs - GP. Banged my head & didn't pass out or not throwing up - GP.

By "signs" I mean anxiety sufferers who think they have symptoms and actually non anxious who turn out to really have cancer. ER's can't help anyone in either of these categories as it's a general issue and it can wait.

Emergency is something that needs dealing with right now. Something that cannot be dealt with another way e.g. broken bones, stitches, etc or something that if not treated now is life threatening right now...not if untreated for months.

walkerbull
01-05-17, 05:15
What about my symptoms?

MyNameIsTerry
01-05-17, 05:15

I like that. :yesyes:

But I'm struggling to decide whether to call you Grasshopper or Mr Myagy from now on. :biggrin:

"Sweep broom, anxiety go" :yesyes:

walkerbull
01-05-17, 05:16
And what "signs" would we be talking about.

ScaredLizard
01-05-17, 05:18
:biggrin:

Well I think that was worth waking you up for, women say men can't multi task and this proves your husband can! :winks:[COLOR="blue"]

He was just so proud! It cracked me up :roflmao:

---------- Post added at 00:18 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

What about my symptoms?

Your symptoms are anxiety still. It sucks I know it does but you keep expecting to hear something different but the reply is still the same. It's still anxiety. :hugs:

walkerbull
01-05-17, 05:21
The thing that makes me extremely angry is when people say "Do you want [insert disease]" or "You are wishing it on yourself".

MyNameIsTerry
01-05-17, 05:23
What about my symptoms?

Even if you have got a physical problem that your fear is telling you, your symptoms are not an emergency. You would be needing tests & referrals. ER isn't for that, although some use it to try to queue jump.

Think of a cancer example. We have a 10 day target. They know that 10 days has no impact and then you have to wait to commence treatment. You go in the queue with the rest.

Why would 10 days matter even if you have what you fear? ER can't treat it. A GP gives meds or refers you for an appointment. Treatment from referrals is often later.

So, what does ER achieve?

I have asthma. I can have problems with it a lot. I see my GP, he works it out and fiddles with meds whilst monitoring. But if I had an attack where my emergency med fails, it's ER.

andysa
01-05-17, 05:24

I have twitched non stop for the past 11 months and yes I understand that the condition is really scary but here are the facts as I have found them:
MND effects about 2 people per 100,000 per year of these people only 15%of them are under the age of 45. Next Twitching has been the presenting symptom in roughly 0.25%. where twitching was the presenting feature clinical weakness followed within a matter of weeks. Thus if you are twitching the odds it is MND is about 1 in 100 million. Now comes the real big news even if it is MND there is nothing that you can do about it anyway so why worry, seriously no point is rushing the emergency room because even if the find out you have mnd there is nothing they can do or give you anyway.

walkerbull
01-05-17, 05:25
Even if you have got a physical problem that your fear is telling you, your symptoms are not an emergency. You would be needing tests & referrals. ER isn't for that, although some use it to try to queue jump.

Think of a cancer example. We have a 10 day target. They know that 10 days has no impact and then you have to wait to commence treatment. You go in the queue with the rest.

Why would 10 days matter even if you have what you fear? ER can't treat it. A GP gives meds or refers you for an appointment. Treatment from referrals is often later.

So, what does ER achieve?

I have asthma. I can have problems with it a lot. I see my GP, he works it out and fiddles with meds whilst monitoring. But if I had an attack where my emergency med fails, it's ER.

What!, I am worried now

ScaredLizard
01-05-17, 05:25
The thing that makes me extremely angry is when people say "Do you want [insert disease]" or "You are wishing it on yourself".

None of us here would ever say that. You are sick sweetie. Just not with what you think you are. Anxiety is a disease and it's a crappy one that drags us all down.

walkerbull
01-05-17, 05:28
None of us here would ever say that. You are sick sweetie. Just not with what you think you are. Anxiety is a disease and it's a crappy one that drags us all down.

Not to be a downer but my mother says this frequently.

MyNameIsTerry
01-05-17, 05:32
And what "signs" would we be talking about.

Perceived symptoms, whether they turn out to be anxiety in an anxiety sufferer or a real physical issue in a non anxiety sufferer. Neither are a matter for ER.

My GF's mum had terminal lung cancer. She went to her GP, was sent to hospital and admitted until they found out what it was. It was already terminal but the prognosis is still a period of time.

For even an undiagnosed cancer sufferer, the symptoms have to be extreme to warrant calling an ambulance. So, why would an anxiety sufferer who thinks they have cancer need to be rushed to ER?

---------- Post added at 05:32 ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 ----------

What!, I am worried now

Why? If you had something serious enough to need ER (not considering accidents) you wouldn't have been talking on here for days. You would have been in an ambulance by now.

walkerbull
01-05-17, 05:33
Perceived symptoms, whether they turn out to be anxiety in an anxiety sufferer or a real physical issue in a non anxiety sufferer. Neither are a matter for ER.

My GF's mum had terminal lung cancer. She went to her GP, was sent to hospital and admitted until they found out what it was. It was already terminal but the prognosis is still a period of time.

For even an undiagnosed cancer sufferer, the symptoms have to be extreme to warrant calling an ambulance. So, why would an anxiety sufferer who thinks they have cancer need to be rushed to ER?

---------- Post added at 05:32 ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 ----------

Why? If you had something serious enough to need ER (not considering accidents) you wouldn't have been talking on here for days. You would have been in an ambulance by now.

Brain tumours?

ScaredLizard
01-05-17, 05:37
Brain tumours?

Brain tumors don't present as just twitching. They present as loss of major neurological symptoms. Losing the ability to walk/talk/paralysis or severe severe headaches

ServerError
01-05-17, 05:39
This reminds me of my own spiral last year, where every answer just leads to more questions and to new worries.

I'm not sure there's much more we can say here. Nobody can tell you you won't ever get the illnesses you fear. ALS/MND is one of the most feared, and it's not hard to see why. But no amount of fear will change the fact that it exists. The good news is the odds are in your favour, because the vast majority of people don't get these awful conditions.

I've gradually learned to work with the odds in order to defeat my anxiety. I no longer ruin my life desperately chasing certainty at all costs. I'm much more accepting of the the slim but scary possibilities that comes with being a living, breathing human. I don't even really think about it much anymore. And when I do, I don't pay my mind that much attention. Plus, I've got too much other things going on in my life - all of which I have chosen to do in order to aid my recovery.

You know how I got here, though? Therapy and medication.

MyNameIsTerry
01-05-17, 05:40
Brain tumours?

Are you in extremely intense pain? No. Have you collapsed?

You wouldn't be on this forum for a start. I've seen one member on here explain they actually have have a brain tumour and it was being treated long term. It wasn't an emergency.

I've known a cancer sufferer with a terminal brain tumour. This person had symptoms of something that needed treating, the GP arranged the tests and it was handed over to a consultant. It took weeks. ER were not involved.

If you are now thinking something less severe, what do you expect an ER to do that a GP can't rush through? The relevant dept still does the work, not a GP nor the ER.

walkerbull
01-05-17, 05:40
What of ones in the cerebellum?

ScaredLizard
01-05-17, 05:45
What of ones in the cerebellum?

You wouldn't be able to walk. You'd be severely sick and vomiting and very very ill. You don't have a brain tumor

walkerbull
01-05-17, 06:00
You wouldn't be able to walk. You'd be severely sick and vomiting and very very ill. You don't have a brain tumor

Even in its early stages?

ScaredLizard
01-05-17, 06:09
Even in its early stages?

Yes. My friend's daughter's first sign was when she stood up and fell to the floor and couldn't walk anymore.

walkerbull
01-05-17, 06:14
Yes. My friend's daughter's first sign was when she stood up and fell to the floor and couldn't walk anymore.

I am so sorry to hear this.

I feel stupid now.

ScaredLizard
01-05-17, 06:19
I am so sorry to hear this.

I feel stupid now.

You aren't stupid at all but you definitely need to talk to someone about anxiety. Maybe you could show your mom yours posts and that would help her want to take you to your GP? I can write her a note in your PM from one mom to another if you think it might help her get you help?

walkerbull
01-05-17, 06:24
You aren't stupid at all but you definitely need to talk to someone about anxiety. Maybe you could show your mom yours posts and that would help her want to take you to your GP? I can write her a note in your PM from one mom to another if you think it might help her get you help?

Yes, that would be nice, could you PM me it or post here?. If not I could forward her email to you and thus avoiding facial contact as the situation is quite heated at the moment.

ScaredLizard
01-05-17, 06:30
Yes, that would be nice, could you PM me it or post here?. If not I could forward her email to you and thus avoiding facial contact as the situation is quite heated at the moment.

Sure! It's 1:30 AM right now but I will write you a pm to give to your mom in the morning. I'm very happy to! My 13 year old has anxiety and as soon as I started seeing symptoms I got her help. But likely your mom doesn't have anxiety or at least not diagnosed anxiety so she honestly doesn't know how paralyzing this is. I'll send you a pm in the morning with a letter for your mom. I really hope it helps you :hugs:

walkerbull
01-05-17, 07:10
Sure! It's 1:30 AM right now but I will write you a pm to give to your mom in the morning. I'm very happy to! My 13 year old has anxiety and as soon as I started seeing symptoms I got her help. But likely your mom doesn't have anxiety or at least not diagnosed anxiety so she honestly doesn't know how paralyzing this is. I'll send you a pm in the morning with a letter for your mom. I really hope it helps you :hugs:

Thank you so very much! :D

---------- Post added at 06:10 ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 ----------

Also, great news everybody. I summoned the courage and showed her this thread. All she did was shake her head, but another major breakthrough prior to showing her was when she asked "What are you going to do" and offered another day off school to decide my options (all provided by you wonderful people :D) which I accepted. Instead, I have decided that school counseling will provide the best effective way to control this menace!. I will confer with her over the next few days over whether going to the GP is necessary.

Thank you all sincerely for helping me out of this trough, I am truly grateful.

And thanks again for helping me realize that I don't have an awful disease.

Farewell fellow travelers, I have told myself to no longer reply to this thread.

But you can most certainly feel free to continue discussing.

Fishmanpa
01-05-17, 12:37
My 13 year old has anxiety and as soon as I started seeing symptoms I got her help.

When my daughter was 18 she came to me and told me what was going on. I, along with her mother got her help. As adults on this forum, and many here parents like myself, it's very difficult to see a child, yes, at 16yo WBull is a child, suffer like this. I know many here have seen similar types of threads and scenarios but whether or not we realize it, we're all feeding his dragon. The best advice when the threads spiral like this is recommend therapy as many have, but to feed the dragon with reassurance reply after reassurance reply obviously isn't helping :(

I'm glad to see the OP stating that he took some advice and breached the subject of professional help. As for no more replies? We all know the dragon better than that but one can always hope :)

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
01-05-17, 13:27
I'm glad you've spoken to your mum and showed her this. It's important that she can see what you are saying and also what everyone else is saying about it being anxiety, anxiety that needs treating.

She can now take this forward more proactively.

Good luck.

axolotl
01-05-17, 13:37
Good luck to you, hope it all goes well. If you're tempted to post more symptom threads read your post above back and resist the urge!