PDA

View Full Version : Ectopic Beats - Panic

brucey
02-05-07, 09:33
About a couple of months after my baby was born I started to suffer what I now know as 'ectopic beats'. I have had the all clear from a cardiologist (after an ECG, a heart scan and a 24 hour monitor) and my blood pressure is fine. I have just a couple of concerns though and wondered whether anyone else has had a similar experience?

1. Pulse rate. I take my pulse a good few times every day. The good thing is that I rarely feel the ectopic beats when I take my pulse (my 24 hour monitor showed I have less than 20 in a 24 hour period so I guess they would be hard to spot). My 'resting pulse' (when I am sitting on the sofa doing nothing) can vary from 57 to 62. I thought that the minimum for a pulse was 60 and am worried my heart is beating too slowly. I mentioned this to the doc but they said this was fine and in fact is a good sign. I know I should believe them but.......

2. Most of the time when I notice my ectopic beats they are very small and don't cause me any concern. Sometimes though they seem strong. The only way I can describe it is like a wave of panic (an adrenalin rush?) coming over me and occassionally I feel a sort of 'buzz' or 'whoosh' in my head, just for a second. Is this a dizzy spell? Isn't that a bad sign? It gives me a real fright when it happens but literally only lasts a second. Could this be linked to the anxiety created with an ectopic?

I am otherwise fit and healthy, don't get breathless etc etc. I think I just wanted some reassurance that this all sounds normal and was so pleased when I found this site

Jaco45er
02-05-07, 10:04
Hiya Brucey

I get ectopics too, and my resting pulse is 58 on average, and your bp is ok so no worries there.

I get a bit freaked out with the stronger ectopics that tends to make me focus right on my heart (not recommended ;)) .

I would say its a flush of anxiety by the sounds of it, and you have been given the ok by the doc so try not to worry.

Did i just say "try not to worry?" you wan't to practice what you preach Jaco.

TC

Jaco

spuds
05-05-07, 17:31
My ectopics started after an operation. I was getting loads - I mean probably hundreds a day. I could feel them in my pulse as missed beats (every third beat) and sometimes in my chest. I have had them checked out by ecg and told they are nothing to worry about - but it has taken me nearly 3 years to get to where I am now where I can live with them and only be anxious about them occasionally. Frankly, for the first year and more they ruined my life and I was beside myself with worry.

Remember, ectopic beats are harmless if the heart is structurally fine. The ecg and other tests would show up any heart disease or cause for concern. Your blood pressure is fine, your pulse rate is fine. As I understand it there is no significance to whether you feel them or not - it is not more serious if you feel them.

I think you having a moment of panic when you feel the ectopic, though it may even just be muscle tension you are feeling. I don't think 20 ectopics in 24 hours is anything to worry about - noones heart beats totally regularly all the time, anyway. Please try to be reassured by your doctors - I would hate you to go through what so many of on this site go through because we struggle to accept what we are told. I used to be able to feel the missed beats a lot in my pulse - I haven't felt any for 3 weeks now. I don't know why this is - nothing has changed. I am not getting too excited yet, but I am hoping that after 3 years they have finally gone of their own accord.

I know it's hard, but try to relax and accept that you are okay. The ectopics may well go on their own.

brucey
08-05-07, 09:09
Thank you so much Spuds and Jaco45er

I think I kinda knew deep down that I was OK but just needed a little reassurance from others who had been there!

I really appreciate the time you both took to reply

I feel much better about my ectopics now but still managed to worry about my 'slow' pulse yesterday (from about 57 to 64 yesterday when I was sitting on the sofa), so now I just need to get to work on that!

Thanks again
X:blush: