PDA

View Full Version : New member

AppleCinnamon
01-05-17, 02:00
Hello all,

Nice forum; not sure where to post this but I will share some of my personal experiences here.

Long story short, I am 28 and a multiple cancer survivor; I have had cancer during various stages of my life. Physically I am actually quite healthy (cured) for some years now, but my traumatic life experiences have left me with an anxiety disorder that has been going on for over 7 years (panic, agoraphobia, depression). As you can imagine, I have experienced a lot of physical and mental suffering during my life; many treatments, very stressful situations with a lot of complications that were often life threatening. I nearly died several times. I believe that my constant alertness on physical sensations still triggers my feelings of anxiety today.

I also experience something that has actually been bothering me most over time, which are periods of intense feelings of anxiety with lots of physical symptoms all day long that can last for weeks and will result in panic attacks at times; not sure if this can be classified as GAD. I find them completely exhausting and consider them my major anxiety problem, more so than the panic attacks and agoraphobia.

I have seen several psychiatrists and psychologists over the years, none of which have helped me. Therapies included CBT, breathing and relaxation exercises, mindfulness and meditation. Concerning the agoraphobia, I do believe that exposure therapy can help but it is difficult to start if you are already feeling really anxious when at home. The only thing that has brought some relief over the years are the benzodiazepines that I have been taking, I am happy that they exist.

I would be interested to get in contact with people (especially younger) who have had similar experiences of physical illness with subsequent anxiety disorder and/or depression. If you want, send me a pm :)

venusbluejeans
01-05-17, 02:09
Hiya AppleCinnamon and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Bigboyuk
01-05-17, 12:06
Hiya AppleCinnamon And welcome aboard to NMP. There are many sub forums to post in but don't worry this is a introduction section to say hi so np Hope you find the answers to your problems and you will love it hear so supportive too :) Cheers

Mindprison
01-05-17, 12:31
Welcome to the forum AppleCinnamon!

Sounds like you've been through the mill and back, there is lots of support here on the forum and always someone that can relate to what you're going through.

I hope you can get some comfort and helpful advice here!

Mark13
01-05-17, 17:16
Hi. Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll benefit from being here, just as I have.