PDA

View Full Version : Need to tell someone

Megan99
01-05-17, 04:32
Does anyone else ever feel the immense desire to tell someone all your mental health problems, but can't because you fear they will think you are making drama. I have an intense desire to tell someone who thinks that I am perfectly normal, face to face and talk to them about it. I am just tired of always faking a happy and non anxious mood, and I just wish people knew and accepted it. I don't know, I don't want them to know but I want them to know at the same time. As in, I wish people knew, but they would accept it and just understand. Anyone else experience this kind of feeling?

Pythonian
01-05-17, 05:02
Slightly. I'm cautious of who I tell and it has been only a handful of friends. Some understand more than others, or at least seem more willing to listen. I find myself not bringing it up again if I have the sense it makes them feel uncomfortable, but I never blame them for that. Basically, I have two friends I speak with the most, one also has anxiety. Personal choice of who,you tell, I understand the difficulty.

Megan99
01-05-17, 05:35
I know, I have never told anyone in all the years I have suffered. But the feeling to tell someone is getting more and more intense. I just wish I could tell someone and they would understand and they would just know.

poppadr3w
02-05-17, 15:07
Does anyone else ever feel the immense desire to tell someone all your mental health problems, but can't because you fear they will think you are making drama. I have an intense desire to tell someone who thinks that I am perfectly normal, face to face and talk to them about it. I am just tired of always faking a happy and non anxious mood, and I just wish people knew and accepted it. I don't know, I don't want them to know but I want them to know at the same time. As in, I wish people knew, but they would accept it and just understand. Anyone else experience this kind of feeling?

It depends on the situation. I won't straight up tell someone I have anxiety for no reason. But if something happens like I have a panic attack, I'll tell people that know me what has happened. I have no shame in explaining my situation... Panic attacks are real and scary, and if they feel they need to judge me for it then I don't need them in my life anyway.

If I am in a position where I am having anxiety and it's showing, I'd just say: "I get anxious in large crowds" or "My anxiety is kicking up a bit." No biggie!

But if I were in a bar or something and talking to a girl, I wouldn't blurt out: "I SUFFER FROM ANXIETY AND SYMPTOMS THEREOF!" It's not that you should be ashamed, but I feel like the people who should know should be limited to those who may see you affected by it in certain situations or those that are close to you relationship-wise.

jamiebythesea
02-05-17, 15:42
Hardly anyone knows about my anxiety other than really close family. Problem is, I'm running out of excuses now as to why I miss dates/parties/functions etc

Noivous
02-05-17, 16:37
You'd be surprised what people can kind of figure out on their own. If you decide to tell the world that's fine but it'd s genie that can't be put back in the bottle. But you could tell everyone and let the people be damned. You might find it very liberating. You'll find out who your true friends are most likely. But just because you tell the world doesn't mean you will be excused from not showing up to work by them but social gatherings people would tend to understand. In the end some will understand. Others won't. But most probably won't be overly concerned by the revelation.

N.

bottleblond
02-05-17, 22:24
In days gone by, I would rather make up an excuse as to why I didn't want to do something or go somewhere with friends, especially in my late teenage years. To be fair, I didn't know why I didn't want to participate myself, I just knew I'd rather stay close to home than go on certain nights out or holidays.

Years and years down the line, I understand who I am and how my mind works.
I don't think there is much stigma around mental health now like there used to be. In fact we would all be quite surprised just how many of our friends have similar issues but like us, don't divulge the information unless the subject is brought up.

Hand on heart, I can honestly say, I have never had a negative comment when I have told anyone about my condition and I certainly don't shy away from it anymore.

I'm ME!. I still have a personality, I can still have fun, I still have a jovial sense of humour and I still have ambitions. I am completely normal but just in a different way than some. :yesyes:

Lisa
xx

Megan99
06-05-17, 03:32
Managed to tell a teacher of mine today. I needed to explain to him why my academic work was worse than it should be. I was super awkward about it and Was looking down at the ground and cringing the whole time I explained. But he was so kind about it and offered to tell other teachers so they could cut me some slack. But I can't help wondering what he thinks of me now. What if he thought I was just making an excuse? Or what if it was weird of me to tell him? I know this makes me sound childish, but I can't help ruminating.

---------- Post added at 02:32 ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 ----------

I don't know how to explain to him that I didn't need help. I literally just wanted to tell someone and get it off my chest....

Bill
06-05-17, 03:59
Hello Megan,

I really wouldn't worry about it because from his reply, I'm quite sure he understood what you're going through and that's why he said he would talk to the other teachers as he did care and just wanted to help you. He certainly wouldn't have thought anything bad about you because I feel sure he would have known others personally and from other teachers who have suffered the same in the past.

Generally speaking, the one thing I find sad, is if you see someone with a broken leg, it's obvious to others they're suffering. You can't hide a broken leg and people would naturally give sympathy and understanding and yet, when it comes to anxiety, all too often we feel too afraid to say we're suffering just as much because we feel we need the "right person to tell" because anxiety is hidden and we can't be sure how others will react.

I admit I'm cautious who I tell but I'm not afraid to talk about my past if people ask. If I'm struggling in the present, I will talk to someone I feel I can trust, and it is very important feelings are not kept bottled because it makes anxiety worse due to the build up of tension. That's why you feel better when you get it off your chest. It relieves that stress.

When I was younger, I never understood how could or why they would want to harm themselves until that is, I started doing it too. Then I understood the torment they go through and the release it gave them. Also, when people are suicidal, I never understood what could drive people to that extent until it nearly happened to me too. This is another reason why feelings should never be bottled because it's only by talking that we can get the help we need.

Never be afraid to share. If people don't understand, it's their problem for being ignorant. There are plenty of others who will understand who will be much more loyal so by sharing it can also be a way of knowing who you can trust and who to keep close.

If you are struggling, talk more to your teacher. He understands and if you ever need it, I'm sure he will help you too. It's really important you tell him as it will help you ease your anxiety.:hugs: