PDA

View Full Version : Coffee

Jaco45er
02-05-07, 10:17
Right, so I wake up this morning feeling fine. Cup of tea, slice of toast, GMTV, usual morning.

Has a shower, turns on PC (I work from home alot) feeling ok.

So I make a cup of coffee, drink it, and now I feel terrible, heads feels pressure, slightly dizzy, like thinking through a cloud and a band of pressure around my head, and grabbed my bp monitor (yer, so I am a little obsessed, I just ordered a CAT scanner too ;)). My BP is banging upto 161/87, was 134/77 last night, and my hearts gone into overdrive 85 bpm (usually 58 at rest).

Now I know all about coffee blah blah but surely one cup can't be behind all this? Anyone else get this from a harmless cuppa?

Its taken me so long to type this, I have had some water and chilled a little, but I still can't believe one cup of coffee can do all that.

Anyone had experience of this? Should I write to Kenco and get a refund?

Jaco

honeybee
02-05-07, 10:57
hi hun.... i actually stopped drinking coffee for a couple of years cos i woke up one morning, someone offered me a cuppa coffee, i said yes and soon after i was a wreck, just like you, it wasnt until my mum metioned the link between the coffee and my panic that i began to calm down a bit... if you have to have a coffee have a milky one instead... i only drink milky coffee now and thats only about one a week... dont worry, you'll start to feel ok soon

jo61
02-05-07, 11:11
Anything with caffeine has similar effect on me. Coke, coffee, tea so i also gave it up a few years ago. It's not a religion with me - if there's nothing else availalbe I'll have one but general I go decaf and can't taste the difference any more.

Alabasterlyn
02-05-07, 11:22
Jaco I think even just one cup of coffee could do that, I guess it depends how strong you made it. I wonder if the coffee set off the physical feelings you had and then anxiety kicked in and made your BP go up? I know what a worrier you are and I'm sure your BP will come back down to it's usual normal range.

Funnily enough my head feels exactly the same as you describe yours today and I had just finished drinking my usual cup of hot lemon and also had been watching GMTV. Wonder if it's the TV programme doing it lol!

Piglet
02-05-07, 11:45
PMSL at the cat scanner!! :D

I avoid caffiene like the plague mate so I can't tell you much about it but have you ever tried the decaff or what was that stuff Gillian Mckeith was bangin on about as a replacement - sure someone will know!!

Piglet :flowers:

SANDYJANE
02-05-07, 12:02
hi , this used to happen to me after a one cup off coffee or a glass of coke, so now i dont drink coke and the only coffee i drink is decaff.

love sandy xxx

Piglet
02-05-07, 12:15
Here you go;

' Some people are sensitive to caffeine and even a couple of cups of coffee a day can make their hearts race and they feel jittery and anxious'

'Try coffee substitutes such as made from dried chicory, barley, figs or dandelion root'

I guess you may have to get these from a health food shop unless Tesco do them in the big stores with a Nutricentre present.

bottleblond
02-05-07, 12:19
I went to see a hypnotherapist last week for my Anxiety/panic attacks, outwith the session she told me to gradualy cut out my coffee and tea because it's terrible for pumping you up. She said someone like me who normaly has quite a high level of anxiety should'nt touch the stuff because it will just keep my anxiety topped up!

Hope that helps!
p.s if you get a cat scanner, you'll probably find half the peeps on this site queuing at your front door waiting on a go!!
take care
Lisa
xxx

darkangel
02-05-07, 12:32
hi

same has been happening to me over the past few weeks. I had changed to half caf but this morning, like you I was fine and was just back from tesco and really relaxed. Made a coffee, only drank about half and when i got up to put cup in kitchen - WHAM - dizzy spell. I only have a couple of cups a day but think Im going to stick to herbal tea and water.

I also suffer with health anxiety so yes my thoughts have been running wild as well.

Luv darkangel x

Dying_Swan
02-05-07, 16:10
Hey Jaco.

I think the coffee probably raised your heartrate a little and made you feel a bit panicky.

Then, if you were feeling anxious, your BP would have gone up a tad, which you saw on your machine. I would think it was your anxiety which raised your BP rather than the coffee.

Try not to worry. But if coffee makes you feel rough, follow everyone else's advice and get some decaff or herbal teas. I personally can't live without coffee!

A CAT scanner? Wow!!!

Hope you're feeling better now :) xxx

Jo3016
02-05-07, 16:38
I have a bad reaction to caffine too and this afternoon I got palpitations from eating chocolate!! I also react to colourings in sweets, squash etc..

Jaco45er
02-05-07, 21:33
Cheers for the reply's all

Panic over, all chilled now

Lyn, what do you mean, I am a worrier? when have you known me to worry? ;) There is a BP monitor I am selling on my ebay account my friend, get bidding.

Cheers piglet, I drink herbal tea too, but usually with a coffee chaser.

As for the cat scanner, it arrived, I plugged it in and the lights went out, so I sent it back, and it didn't match the curtains.

Cheers

Jaco

trac67
02-05-07, 21:41
Jaco,

A question if I may

Erm why do you want to scan your cat ???? :D

Love

Trac xxx

Piglet
02-05-07, 22:28
As for the cat scanner, it arrived, I plugged it in and the lights went out, so I sent it back, and it didn't match the curtains.

This is totally the right criteria for choosing medical equipment - well done that man!!

kazzie
03-05-07, 00:10
Hi Jaco

Im the same coffee or coke does it to me!!!

I only have coke as a treat and have about 2 coffees a week made with milk and im fine!!!

I only drink weak milky tea and that dosent affect me at all

Luv Kaz x x x:hugs:

cattttt
03-05-07, 04:10
I gave up coffee years ago because of what it did to me, my last bad episode of anxiety was down to coffee,then I was generally anxiety free till last Sept when I had a tetanus jab that set me off for 6 months. Fuit tea is great, just find one you like.

spuds
05-05-07, 17:15
I usually only drink decaff, but I went to Sainsbury's cafe on Tuesday with a friend and had two pots of tea to myself (ie 6 cups) in about an hour or so. Well, after about 30 mins I felt dreadful - pulse going quick, jittery and anxious. Took a couple of hours to calm down, but still slightly anxious even a few days later. I had been much better recently, but this episode has set me back a bit - it's definitely no caffeine for me from now on. I would try going decaff if you can, I can't tell the difference.

edit: Just to add, I have had ectopics beats (and as a result mega anxiety) for nearly 3 years. For some reason, I haven't felt any missed beats for about 3 weeks. Even after all the Sainsburys tea, I had a fast heart rate and anxiety but no missed beats. These things seem to be going on their own, thank goodness.

kimmy
07-05-07, 20:40
I used to drink sooooooooooo much coffee, Rocket fuel coffee and all sort, pro plus, used to take beechams etc all with caffine in them BUT NOW that I have anxiety etc im so sensitive to coffee, Im aware of this aswell, Beechams are a no-no! etc. Suger is exactly the same for me too. It depends on what my body will take for that day!! :O)

looking4answers
08-05-07, 23:38
Got news for you ..one cup didnt'anxiety did..Geez.. Its funny but I used to drink 30 cups.. no lying here at least 30 cups a day ..My body became immune to it and i would go to sleep drinking a cup at night..Then one day my body decided it didnt like coffee that much anymore and well i have gone down to about a pot a day about 8 cups sometimes not that much..Its really not the cofffee ,and actually I have read that two cups at least is good for your heart,and blood and etc etc etc.. They just recently found that out..But i assure you what you were feeling was feeling of what you expected to feel after you drank it and besides your breakfast caused more than the coffee probably indigestion..nothing more and the blood pressure readings that you said arent that bad neither is your pulse.

The doctors say that anything under 90 is great.. dont worry its normal was just indigestion and you will live to drink another cup..Its not the coffee just the anxiety about drinking the coffee..nothing more.. I assure you take it from a 30 cup a day person to a one or two cup a day person..its only expectant feelings of what you thought might happen..not what actually happened from drinking it..If you dont believe me drink a cup when you are in a good mood and not thinking about whats going to happen and busy with something else I bet you that you dont feel anything .. So give it up and quit worrying ..come on.. one cup ..nope...not going to happen.. Hope this helps..

Lola
10-05-07, 09:12
Coffee (even decaf) sets my pulse racing and gives me mega anxiety! I avoid it at all costs! Tea does not seem to have the same effect, although even that I have to drink in moderation...

Lola :)

liss
10-05-07, 12:06
hey jaco
i dont like coffee so i dont drink it
however red bull has that effect on me my heart races and i feel terrible
and anxious
i think its the red bull dont tell me its the vodka
x

Jaco45er
10-05-07, 12:46
Hiya Looking

30 cups a day? are you getting paid to drink coffee? what time do you start? is it like a full time job? ;) You maybe right, coffee when anxious is not the same as drinking coffee when not anxious.

No its the Red Bull liss, Vodka don't give you wings, just makes 40 yo guys look younger ;)

TC

Jaco

Alabasterlyn
10-05-07, 12:49
No its the Red Bull liss, Vodka don't give you wings, just makes 40 yo guys look younger ;)

TC

Jaco

((((((((((Jaco)))))))) belated Happy Birthday for yesterday. I can't believe I missed your big 40 :hugs:

Hope you had a great day :D

Jaco45er
10-05-07, 12:51
Yer Lyn

Talking about coffee, I am popping in when down your way for that dodgy looking stuff you pass off as a beverage ;)

Cheers my friend :)

Jaco

Alabasterlyn
10-05-07, 13:01
Yer Lyn

Talking about coffee, I am popping in when down your way for that dodgy looking stuff you pass off as a beverage ;)

Cheers my friend :)

Jaco

Okay I will start grinding up the snails to put in your coffee :ohmy:

looking4answers
10-05-07, 20:55
Yeah not kidding..just a habit like anything else..did it for years and for some reason when we moved to a COLD climate..which is really odd,just sort of lost the taste for it..I would have a coffee in my hand all the time..around the clock.. but I didn't have anxiety then but could be one of the reasons that i got it so bad for so long.. Is withdrawal..You can overdo anything and perhaps I did but I dont now...but this issue has nothing to do with me..Its the other guy we are talking about right now.. lol

Hiya Looking

30 cups a day? are you getting paid to drink coffee? what time do you start? is it like a full time job? ;) You maybe right, coffee when anxious is not the same as drinking coffee when not anxious.

TC

Jaco

nomorepanic
10-05-07, 21:26
I always remember Meg saying to me that if there is one thing she would ban in the world it is Red Bull!

I had a few sips once cos Alex said it would wake me up - 20 minutes later and I was still shaking like a leaf!

Oh and if you are sensitive to caffeine - like me cos I gave it up years ago - then do NOT try the new zero coke! OMG - I can tolerate a small glass of diet coke but that stuff made me totally freak and I couldn't stop shaking!

Felt dreadful for ages so it must have more caffeine than even diet coke.

Piglet
10-05-07, 22:47
Totally agree with all that Nic!!

feartie
12-05-07, 13:44
You could try "Bambu", a coffee substitute. Not overly fond of it myself, I must say, but lots of people do like it: http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/301291.html

Fx