PDA

View Full Version : Should I see a neurologist or not?

Scotttt
01-05-17, 14:32
I've been dealing with twitches for a while and I've seen my GP who said not to worry.

However, I've noticed that I get a twitch only when the muscle is flexed in my quad. I can't feel it but I can see it. It goes away as soon as the muscle is relaxed. It's very different than my normal random twitches.

I'm trying to trust my GP and move on but I can't help by thinking I should see a nuero.

Thought?

Fishmanpa
01-05-17, 14:42
I would trust your GP and look into getting help with your anxiety but ultimately, the decision is yours.

Positive thoughts

Scotttt
01-05-17, 14:47
I've been getting help with anxiety and it has been much better, I'm just having a bit of a relapse due to this. It's just unsettling that it only twitches when I flex the muscle.

Fishmanpa
01-05-17, 15:00
I've been getting help with anxiety and it has been much better, I'm just having a bit of a relapse due to this. It's just unsettling that it only twitches when I flex the muscle.

Good to hear about the therapy! As far as the muscle? "Unsettling" is a far cry from "I've got ALS" so that's a positive :)

Your therapist needs to know about your participation on the forum. It's important to discuss it as it's vital to your recovery.

Positive thoughts

Scotttt
01-05-17, 17:14
ALS is still in the back of my head but its not near the fear that it once was. I don't fear my random twitches at all anymore, its just the ones that I can induce by flexing that get to me.

I have told my therapist about the forum and I am planning on limiting my use of it soon.

Josh1234
01-05-17, 18:53
No, you shouldn't see a neuro. What do you think a flexed twitch means?

Scotttt
01-05-17, 19:17
Im not sure what I think it means. It just makes me nervous. Its seems like a healthy muscle or nerve would not to that. I may be wrong but I am trying not to Google it haha.

I have seen something called contraction fasiculations in the past. Some said it was harmless others said it was bad.

Fishmanpa
01-05-17, 19:25
Im not sure what I think it means.

We're living breathing physical beings and we're bound to have little things that, while annoying are harmless. What it means is that you have an annoying niggle. That's it! I have so many annoying and painful "niggles" from cancer treatment that I truly believe it would make most here run to the ER daily! ~lol~

Continue with your therapy and wean yourself off the reassurance sooner rather than later.

Positive thoughts

Josh1234
01-05-17, 22:58
Im not sure what I think it means. It just makes me nervous. Its seems like a healthy muscle or nerve would not to that. I may be wrong but I am trying not to Google it haha.

I have seen something called contraction fasiculations in the past. Some said it was harmless others said it was bad.

"Some said"

Who? Don't listen to the words of random internet people. If twitching upon contraction were bad, I'd be in serious trouble by now.

Scotttt
02-05-17, 14:55
So you have twitches when you flex? Mine is only in my quad in certain positions. I guess it's normal nerve firings?

Josh1234
02-05-17, 17:27
No, it's not normal, but that doesn't make it deadly either. It has NOTHING to do with ALS. The vast majority of my twitches happen upon exertion.

Scotttt
02-05-17, 17:48
Just BFS? I haven't been diagnosed with it, but it seems to be what I have. The bare minimum time that I have been twitching is 7 months. I remember having twitches as far back as three years. But for sure have had them consistently for 7 months.

Did you go through neurologist and EMGS or just GP?

Thanks for all the info

I guess I need to stop trying to seek an explanation for every sensation.

Josh1234
02-05-17, 17:57
GP. Never seen a neuro or had an EMG. Without accompanying symptoms, seeing a GP is enough.

axolotl
02-05-17, 17:59
I've got calf muscles that permanently twitch. I saw a neuro for another reason and mentioned this, and she wasn't in the slightest bit concerned.

lily1
24-05-17, 21:18
Just to answer your post as you did mine.

My calves twitch, more so lately since I've been anxious.
Got the same three years ago.
My partners do too.

walkerbull
24-05-17, 22:15
I have it frequently, all over my body. Started in my face and became worse, the GP said it was somatization and after that has settled a bit.

Mine didn't even bother consider sending me to a neurologist.