PDA

View Full Version : 4 doctors later..

CHELLEB1017
02-05-17, 00:09
So 4 different doctors all checked out the two lumps in the back of my neck. Each one said they are small and tiny. But each one said to keep an eye on it and come back if they change in size. One even said don't forget about it and come back if I develop fevers or they grow bigger. They all did say since my CBC was good that says a lot.why not just say you are fine nothing to worry about. Three did say that but the one who said don't forget about it and keep an eye on it really scares me. Why not just order an ultrasound?! She said like three times how tiny they are. Ugh! What do you guys honestly think?? Should I see another doctor? Try and get an ultrasound?

StephA
02-05-17, 00:31
I think if you see ten doctor's they'll tell you 10 different things. Most will say keep an eye on it. It's like going in for a big bite and they say it's not bad but just keep an eye on it. I also think you're doctor shopping until you find one that will order an ultrasound. IF they thought you needed one you would already be scheduled. FOUR doctor's have not thought you needed one. Relax! I know it's easier said than done but you've seen four doctor's and not one has thought you have cancer. I know I've said four a lot but I'm trying you get you to understand you've been checked out pretty thoroughly!

Fishmanpa
02-05-17, 01:04
Bottom line is you can decide to chase the wind or enjoy the cool breeze.

Positive thoughts

CHELLEB1017
02-05-17, 01:22
So fishman in your opinion am I chasing nothing here? It's just don't forget about it and keep an eye on it scares me!

Fishmanpa
02-05-17, 01:28
So fishman in your opinion am I chasing nothing here? It's just don't forget about it and keep an eye on it scares me!

It's called "CYA"... (cover your ass)... they don't think it's anything based on their experience (FOUR MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS - which is Uuuuge) and they're just saying don't ignore it if you grow another head.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
02-05-17, 05:28
Think of it this way:

4 doctors, fully trained & experienced say - they are fine, they are tiny, they don't need any further assessment.

BUT

1 subconscious, not trained or experienced in the slightest, is saying it's not sure and maybe it needs following up.

Who would you trust?

This was just posted on another thread by axolotl and it's very relevant to what you are asking:

Good stuff. I think you can reliably remove the "(hopefully)" from that statement.

There's a cognitive distortion known as "all or nothing thinking" which is often at play on these forums - something's either has to be just anxiety and all in your head, or it's a horrible deadly disease. But often when we feel odd symptoms and burps and burbles it is something - just in the hugely vast majority of cases something minor, harmless, unworrying or benign. Part of the healing process of health anxiety - and something I'm not there with when dealing with myself, I must admit - is realising there's a million minor and harmless things to rule out before even entertaining something rare and deadly.

axolotl
02-05-17, 10:20
Let's say one doctor being wrong is a 1 in a thousand chance (a figure I've plucked from thin air).

That means two doctors being wrong is a one in 1,000,000 chance.

That means three doctors being wrong is a one in 1,000,000,000 chance.

The chance of four being wrong is a one in 1,000,000,000,000 chance.

OK, the figures are made up, and it's not that simple of course, but you see how the more you stack unlikely events on top of one another the closer to absolute certainty you're fine you are.

CHELLEB1017
02-05-17, 16:56
So seeing an ENT today at 2. Hoping if there is something of concern he will catch it!

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

Possible. Normal lymph node,, patient was reassured no treatment needed at this time. Advised to followup if the lump gets bigger

THAT IS WHAT IS IN MY SUMMARY FROM MY VISIT YESTERDAY!

I copied and pasted it off the patient portal!

Possible normal lymphnode?! I am so freaking out. She doesnt even think it is normal she thinks it is possibly normal!

This is why I don't understand why I wasn't told to get an ultrasound!? Just wait and let it go if it is something sinister! Let it spread even further?

axolotl
02-05-17, 17:46
So seeing an ENT today at 2. Hoping if there is something of concern he will catch it!

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

Possible. Normal lymph node,, patient was reassured no treatment needed at this time. Advised to followup if the lump gets bigger

THAT IS WHAT IS IN MY SUMMARY FROM MY VISIT YESTERDAY!

I copied and pasted it off the patient portal!

Possible normal lymphnode?! I am so freaking out. She doesnt even think it is normal she thinks it is possibly normal!

This is why I don't understand why I wasn't told to get an ultrasound!? Just wait and let it go if it is something sinister! Let it spread even further?

I think you need to talk through what this means. I don't read it as anything to panic about.

CHELLEB1017
02-05-17, 17:48
I think you need to talk through what this means. I don't read it as anything to panic about.

It's the word possible that scares me!

That means she thinks it's possibly normal but possibly not! :ohmy:

axolotl
02-05-17, 17:53
It's the word possible that scares me!

That means she thinks it's possibly normal but possibly not! :ohmy:

But that's not what they told you on the day? You probably just need to ask them for clarification what their shorthand on the portal actually means. We don't by default have online access to our medical records in the U.K., and it's not something I'd pursue. Too much chance to stress over terse notes and ambiguity.

CHELLEB1017
02-05-17, 19:33
But that's not what they told you on the day? You probably just need to ask them for clarification what their shorthand on the portal actually means. We don't by default have online access to our medical records in the U.K., and it's not something I'd pursue. Too much chance to stress over terse notes and ambiguity.

She told me they are very tiny and to keep an eye on them and not forget about them and if they get bigger to come back in. No word like possible was used!

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

Just got out of ENT office and he said they are soft, small, and about 4-5mm. He said any lump and bump can be malignant but he does not think these are. He also mentioned that cancers usually never present in the occipital nodes. He said to come back if they get bigger but he is not concerned.

axolotl
02-05-17, 19:38
She told me they are very tiny and to keep an eye on them and not forget about them and if they get bigger to come back in. No word like possible was used!

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

Just got out of ENT office and he said they are soft, small, and about 4-5mm. He said any lump and bump can be malignant but he does not think these are. He also mentioned that cancers usually never present in the occipital nodes. He said to come back if they get bigger but he is not concerned.

You can take that as a reassurance, and please do. Don't focus on the tiny chink of possibility - it's very hard for doctors to ever totally 100% prove a negative, and we anxious types can't handle that. But that's an all clear and please believe that.

Fishmanpa
02-05-17, 19:44
You can take that as a reassurance, and please do. Don't focus on the tiny chink of possibility - it's very hard for doctors to ever totally 100% prove a negative, and we anxious types can't handle that. But that's an all clear and please believe that.

Despite what Google and the Daily News tell you, doctors don't miss that much, especially if it's something sinister. All I know is I would have been jumping for joy with ONE doctor telling me I was Ok. You've had FOUR!

Positive thoughts

CHELLEB1017
02-05-17, 20:06
He also used the word shorty nodes!

axolotl
02-05-17, 20:08
I forgot to say in the post above... congratulations on the all clear. :)

Fishmanpa
02-05-17, 20:15
He also used the word shorty nodes!

I think you mean shotty or shoddy nodes. It means you've poked them into submission resulting in them being permanently that size.

Positive thoughts

CHELLEB1017
02-05-17, 20:57
Thanks guys! Yes shotty! Sorry! I'm going to do my best and not play with these for 4 weeks and see what happens!

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------

He also mentioned that cancerous nodes grow rapidly and I would notice a change in the past 6-8 weeks. He said nodes in the occipital region very rarely present with cancer too.

Mav
03-05-17, 01:22
As someone who felt like her node was cancerous and was going to be dead by the end of the year, I just want to tell you that your brain is creating monsters. I've noticed sometimes doctors are nonchalant about these things, and though I've mistaken it for laziness or gaps in their knowledge, which could cause me a possible mid diagnosis etc. I actually realised, it the response you receive when they see nothing serious. I've had it several times now. They can add "keep an eye on it", that doesn't translate to "your node is serious and I'm going to leave it there and let it grow" but rather, " your node is benign since I have medical experience and know what to look for, but if by any chance it's growing uncontrollably over the next few weeks then do come back and we'll take a closer look"

MyNameIsTerry
03-05-17, 01:33
GP's say "keep an eye on it" to mean "if something changes, let me have another look". They say this for anything.

Whenever I've had antibiotics for my chest infections to help my asthma "come back down if it doesn't go". A skin rash - "here's some cream but if it doesn't help, come back".

It's just to remind the patient that their door is open if they need them. If they actually want you to come back - they tell you. They always tll you to make a follow up appointment if they need to see you and even then it may just be to check something has worked.

CHELLEB1017
03-05-17, 01:52
Thanks for the replies everyone! Is 4-5mm relatively normal? Also I had a total of 5 doctors and an rn check it out and no one was overly concerned.

axolotl
03-05-17, 09:35
Thanks for the replies everyone! Is 4-5mm relatively normal? Also I had a total of 5 doctors and an rn check it out and no one was overly concerned.

Read back your last sentence and ask yourself why untrained internet randoms should be able to give you any more comfort than that.

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 ----------

GP's say "keep an eye on it" to mean "if something changes, let me have another look". They say this for anything.

Whenever I've had antibiotics for my chest infections to help my asthma "come back down if it doesn't go". A skin rash - "here's some cream but if it doesn't help, come back".

It's just to remind the patient that their door is open if they need them. If they actually want you to come back - they tell you. They always tll you to make a follow up appointment if they need to see you and even then it may just be to check something has worked.

Exactly, "come back if it changes/gets worse/doesn't go away" is doctor for "goodbye".

Fishmanpa
03-05-17, 12:54

Ok Chelle... With respect...STOP! 4mm is TINY! You've been told that. I had head and neck cancer and everything your MULTIPLE doctors told you is correct. I'll say it one more time and wish you a long life and healing from your anxiety.

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

Positive thoughts

CHELLEB1017
03-05-17, 14:11
Thanks Fishman! You seriously always help me come to terms with reality even if it is only for a few moments. This morning I felt the nodes and I wont feel them again until next Weds. This site has really helped me see Im not alone though any of my family and friends besides my brother think I am crazy because I can't let health things go! I want to do counseling but I am nervous the therapist will think the same thing! I literally am so laid back and very happy with my life I am just petrified of not seeing my boys grow up! Anyone in real life that knows me thinks I am outgoing and the life of the party which I am but give me 10 minutes alone with my thoughts and I am thinking something is wrong with me! Seriously sometimes I think I have ptsd from my Grandma and Aunt being sick and dying of cancer at the same time I was waiting for a biopsy on a cyst in my jaw and to top it off I was 7 months pregnant! Anyways, again everyone THANK YOU SOOOOOO much for responding to any post I have written! It has helped more than you will ever know!