PDA

View Full Version : doctors appointment

Bexie1988
02-05-17, 21:53
Hello all I joined this site last night and did a post about my anxiety, well today after about a hour and a half of having the phone in my hand I managed to talk myself down and I managed to phone the doctors surgery and made an appointment for the first week in June I am very nervous but a bit excited for an outcome I hope I can get this anxiety and panic attacks under control it is and had ruined my life for to long and I am fed up of lettin my life slip away while I am sat at home afraid to go out and live my life.
Can anyone from the uk give me a little insight into what happened in there first doctors meeting what did you talk about how it went etc... I have started a diary writing down all my symptoms and what I am doing when I get an episode, I thought it would be a good idea as I know I will play down my episodes to the doctor and act like all is ok and I don't need help like I have done in the past to family. X

worriedsoul
02-05-17, 22:56
Personally I would try and pluck up the courage to get an appointment asap - it will save all the worry and nerves waiting until June

I would also consider taking a close friend or family member with you to stress the situation. I have had trouble in the past with doctors taking me seriously.

However, I know this sounds bad but I also feel that doctors take me more seriously if I 'break down' in the appointment and cry - it is hard when you are uptight and on adenalime at the appointment, everything can suddenly seem like you are making a mountain out of a mole hill and so speaking to the doctor it's like the emotion is gone.

Izukyu
02-05-17, 23:03
Really happy to hear you managed to get an appointment :)

My first time was just talking about it, I had to do a little questionnaire although that could've been because of depression, not sure. But I had a long conversation with my GP and briefly talked about any medication they could offer and what my other options were. My GP wanted to know the source, or at least a rough idea of where the anxiety comes from.

I get that as well, I sometimes have proper breakdowns but once I'm at the doctor's/anyone else who wants to help I completely change and try to lighten the mood, can't cry anymore etc. Then it starts again the second I get home, this is even the case with phone calls.

So I think it's a really smart idea of you to keep a diary and it sounds like you're really ready to get help and get better which is great x talking to your GP and teaching out for help is scary, but also very brave.

Bexie1988
02-05-17, 23:46
Thank you for your reply I want to have a whole month of diary writing to show my doctor I would like to go earlier but I am worried she won't believe me if I don't go with enough evidence, silly I know but I need help and I don't want to go and for my doctor to not think my symptoms are anxiety I tend to down play and try to act normal in front of strangers it's a coping mechanism for me I try to look as normal as I can so I don't get judged or looked down on, my boyfriend of 10years has offered to come with me but I am not sure I could cope with him in there with menut will be bad enough just me and the doctor, I am so scared to do this but I need to do it I am 29 years old and for most of my 20s I've been a shell of my former self and it's horrid I have no friends because I've pushed them all away I only have my dad boyfriend and his sister I never go anywhere any more I just want to feel normal again and if someone wants to go to the pub I can go with out freaking out all the time. Xx

Benjammin69
03-05-17, 15:02
Thank you for your reply I want to have a whole month of diary writing to show my doctor I would like to go earlier but I am worried she won't believe me if I don't go with enough evidence, silly I know but I need help and I don't want to go and for my doctor to not think my symptoms are anxiety I tend to down play and try to act normal in front of strangers it's a coping mechanism for me I try to look as normal as I can so I don't get judged or looked down on, my boyfriend of 10years has offered to come with me but I am not sure I could cope with him in there with menut will be bad enough just me and the doctor, I am so scared to do this but I need to do it I am 29 years old and for most of my 20s I've been a shell of my former self and it's horrid I have no friends because I've pushed them all away I only have my dad boyfriend and his sister I never go anywhere any more I just want to feel normal again and if someone wants to go to the pub I can go with out freaking out all the time. Xx

Hi welcome to NMP!

I'm from Kent to! :-) anyway have you looked in to the charity anxiety uk? They can set you up with a therapist to start trying to combat the anxiety demons. Doctors will help the best they can but ultimately there answer to most things is an antidepressant. You need to think about what is it you want out of going to the doctors with your evidence of suffering?

Cheers