PDA

View Full Version : Tetanus Panic

ceeper
03-05-17, 03:07
Earlier today I cut my finger on a sharp piece of metal, not rusted. The cut is relatively small and not at all deep, but I'm worried about tetanus. I got my last booster two years ago, should I be worried?

ServerError
03-05-17, 06:46
Nothing to worry about there.

countrygirl
03-05-17, 20:23
maybe some info will help reassure you. Tetanus is carried in animals and the most common on being horses which is why gardeners who use horse or cow manure on their gardens are at most risk. Rust unless its something that has contact with animals and their poo/urine is not a tetanus worry.

Plus repeat tetanus boosters are not recommended as they can do more harm than good. In the uk they changed the vaccine advice a few years ago and said that if you have had a full course plus I think 1 booster then you are covered for life. If someone got a injury contaminated by soil etc then they would give an immunoglobin injection but otherwise you are covered with normal course of vaccine plus a booster.

I know once I was told the above it helped me stop worrying.

ErinKC
03-05-17, 23:14
To my knowledge the tetanus shot lasts 10 years.

MyNameIsTerry
04-05-17, 05:31
maybe some info will help reassure you. Tetanus is carried in animals and the most common on being horses which is why gardeners who use horse or cow manure on their gardens are at most risk. Rust unless its something that has contact with animals and their poo/urine is not a tetanus worry.

Plus repeat tetanus boosters are not recommended as they can do more harm than good. In the uk they changed the vaccine advice a few years ago and said that if you have had a full course plus I think 1 booster then you are covered for life. If someone got a injury contaminated by soil etc then they would give an immunoglobin injection but otherwise you are covered with normal course of vaccine plus a booster.

I know once I was told the above it helped me stop worrying.

Good information here.

Yep, my dad was a landscape gardener for over 40 years. He still does some odd jobs in retirement. He would come home with his arms covered in cuts from working in bushes, they all did.

He has one booster after about 30 years because of an accident with machinery. Other than that, they didn't bother with such things unless a doctor wanted to do it.