PDA

View Full Version : So scared

bashley
03-05-17, 20:02
Hi, I have suffered from anxiety for years especially to do with health but because of this everyone seems to ignore my worries.
I have been having tummy problems on and off for months, I've been to the doctor and he just keeps saying its ibs and anxiety. The thing is I am supposed to be going on a holiday soon but really don't want to go as i'' so scared, I have not been on holiday for years and its causing trouble with my husband he said if I don't go on this holiday he will go without me. My doctor checked me over today and said its anxiety and may ibs/ acid and has given me medication but i'' petrified to go away. My children are in there 20's but I still hate leaving them, I have had intense vounselling recently for my anxiety and traumatic things that have happened to me. Everyone keeps saying I should go on this holiday but my tummy pains are frightening me, they are sometimes sharp stabbing pains and also tight cramps, they wake me up and are so painful. My tummy makes noises and really has lots of tender points I can't see that this is just anxiety and Ibs it hurts right up into my chest and ribs and hurts to stretch and bend. I can't stop crying and have even started to self harm as i hate myself for being such a pain to everyone

ServerError
03-05-17, 20:09
IBS is by far and away the single most common reason for ongoing digestive issues. The chances of it being something other than IBS are pretty remote. And what you describe sounds like classic IBS, albeit closer to the severe end.

It's clear you've been through something pretty major. You obviously have a really entrenched anxiety disorder. You're already having therapy, and that's good, but make sure you're as open as you can be with your therapist, and possibly show them this thread. Also, give your IBS meds some time to work, and be prepared to go back to your doctor if symptoms don't abate. It may be that your IBS won't improve much until you get your anxiety under control.

And make sure you go on your holiday. I suspect you do want to, and one thing you're looking for here is reassurance that you can do it. I think it's important you do go, because if you don't, you'll kick yourself and you'll be frustrated with yourself, and this will only worsen your state of mind. Plus, you'll have taught your mind that it was right to be anxious and that there is something to be feared when there isn't.

Mojo61
03-05-17, 20:17
Why are you petrified of going on holiday? What scares you about the whole thing?

bashley
03-05-17, 21:40
The fear of going on holiday is mainly I fear of bein ill away from home as home is my safe place and I always get so upset leaving my children as I hate leaving them as I feel safe and secure when I'm at home with my husband and children. I suffer with ocd and my number is 4 when i'm always checking things as the number signifies the 4 of us

ServerError
03-05-17, 21:57
The fear of going on holiday is mainly I fear of bein ill away from home as home is my safe place and I always get so upset leaving my children as I hate leaving them as I feel safe and secure when I'm at home with my husband and children. I suffer with ocd and my number is 4 when i'm always checking things as the number signifies the 4 of us

I don't mean to sound harsh, but the number four doesn't actually mean anything in reality. It's just an example of your thought behaviour that you use to feel safe, just like when you describe home as your safe space.

You've created a situation where home equals safe and outside world equals dangerous, and where the number four protects you. As you say, you have OCD, so you're up against a challenging set of circumstances. I don't for one second mean to sound like I'm suggesting you must snap out of it.

What you must do is learn to challenge these thoughts and behaviours. Your mind will need to learn that they aren't accurate reflections of reality. You can't protect your children just by making sure you adhere to the number four at all times, but nor is there any specific threat to them if you admit this to yourself.

Ultimately, to begin challenging these thoughts, you'll need to work with a good therapist. You're already in therapy, so as I said in my other reply, I hope you'll be open with him or her and really lay all of this out there and start working on it. It's possible to recover completely from these disorders if you receive the right help and to your very best.