PDA

View Full Version : Does GAD make you dangerous?

Cakelady
03-05-17, 22:25
Yeah stupid question but my psychiatrist keeps saying I have GAD, but is not worried, thinks I am doing well. Social services on the other hand are saying I could harm my children( this breaks my heart) They are putting us through hell on this basis.
Any thoughts, need all the help I can get, thanksX

Mindprison
04-05-17, 00:40
GAD can make you feel a lot of things. Anger, frustration, sorrow. But I don't believe it makes you dangerous, no. Certainly if that anxiety spirals to depression to the point where you aren't looking after yourself or those in your household, then I expect it might be cause for concern. However, as your psychiatrist is happy with your progress and says you are responding well, this is absolutely not the case for you.

Off the record, bearing in mind that this is all personal experience and in no way does it represent all of social services as a whole, I found the social services in my area to be extremely detrimental to families. I worked alongside them in the same room for about 5 years and 9 out of 10 of them were pathological liars with no care or thought to those suffering mental health issues. I have also been on the receiving end of their nonsense when they made up lies about one of my family members in an attempt to stop them from seeing one of their friends.

If you're in any doubt at all, you should seek advice from something like Citizen's advice bureau. It's good to know where you stand because speaking from experience a lot of social workers like to throw accusations around and twist the truth.

Again, i'm in no way stating that all social services are like this, I just think it would be a good idea to get some advice just incase as i've been on the receiving end of some pretty bad stuff when it comes to social work.

Ultimately though, the person you should be listening to is your psychiatrist. If they're pleased and say you're making good progress then you shouldn't listen to what some social worker has to say. They don't know you, your psychiatrist has spent most likely a reasonable length of time getting to know you well enough to treat an anxiety disorder. If they say you're fine, then you're fine.

-------------------------------------

I get very nervous when I speak my mind like this. I just want to reiterate that I am not trying to offend anyone in any way, I can only speak from my own experiences in my own area. Not all the social workers were bad, but i've met more bad than good around here and I worked with all of them for 5 years. Perhaps i'm biased, but I just think it's better to be cautious.

MyNameIsTerry
04-05-17, 05:08
There's an easy test for this - if we are dangerous because we are diagnosed with GAD, why aren't all the doctors in this country referring all of the parents to Social Services? Are SS saying that the medical community are making an enourmous mistake? And where are the cases of anxiety sufferers abusing their kids in the media?

Who would I trust? The highly trained & experienced psychiatrist who is bound by the Mental Health Act that states he/she must ensure the safety of others & the public as well as the patient? Or SS? SS are forever taking a beating in the press for being woeful and making poor judgements.

I've come across OCD sufferers referred to SS because they had violent intrusive thoughts. SS damaged everything wading in. Science is quite clear on intrusive thoughts and why it's rare they act on them yet SS wade in whilst failing to protect the real vulnerable people in society.

The help you need here needs to be from medical professionals and legal advice. Your psychiatrist, your GP, could easily help with this and I think you should ask them about this as SS are using your mental health against you. I suspect your doctor's will be disgusted by it.

KeeKee
04-05-17, 09:51
I'm so sorry you are going through this Cakelady and this is one of my fears. I've never heard a good thing about social services, not one. They were called on a relative for a very small issue and caused months of hell and probably anxiety for this relative.

I've mentioned this to my GP as I'm scared it will happen to me and he told me unless I told him I was hitting my child, he wouldn't worry. Plus I actually do have relationship issues with my child (ever since my child started school I have struggled massively. I can't stand being back chatted etc, hate the school run beyond words, have no interest in school plays and the likes), my GP and therapists all know all of this and all think I'm doing the best I can and seem to think I'm a nice person etc, surely people who know you will know more than social services.

Do you have any GP or therapist who knows you personally and is willing to help you?

Cakelady
04-05-17, 11:43
Thankyou for the replies. Its crazy, nobody has concerns for the kids, even the ss couldn't find anything.Its hypothetical, "what if"......What if we look at the facts, I have had mental health probs all my life, never hurt anyone, keep a clean home, care well for all those here, my eldest is 22 & doing really well & successful, yes I get very low but I ask for help. If I havent done any harm by now where is the sense in thinking I will in the future. Mindprison you are right, they have been twisting things & that terrifies me. They put stuff across & suggest we said it when we said no such thing.
Terry if anything my anxiety makes me more protective, not in a crazy way! They are wading in here, no support just stress & fear. Even my older daughter was askng what happens when they go into care! I told her it wont happen, never, but the stress they are putting us under is awful. I have an advocate now & my solicitor is calling later.
Keekee it is awful. It is from the school all this stemmed, an over zealous head took it apon himself to report multiple absences when there were only 2 unauthorised but he also took the pleasure of telling the ss I have mental health issues!!!WTF! Needless to say our relationship deteriorated, we applied for home ed & got the full force of the ss on us. They sat in our home & told us they dont like parents doing home ed so even though this child protection is all to do with my mental health, so they say, all they want to talk about is home ed. Kids have started new school as we were told to & they are having a go at us for saying it seems like a good school, accusing us of trying to mislead them, its so messy, twisted & sick. Just fed up, not sleeping, not eating, how do you stay strong? x

KeeKee
04-05-17, 13:17
Oh wow Cakelady that's a dreadful situation to be in.
If it's all based on hypothetical situations then by their standards, every single person with mental health issues should be under close inspection. Which of course we all know isn't necessary.

I once read that they told somebody they needed to get a new settee (or wallpaper I can't remember which), simply because it could embarrass the child! Absolutely ludicrous, this was on an online forum so not necessarily true, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Hoping for the best, I'd try to contact citizens advice as Mindprison suggested and they should be able to help you further.

Cakelady
04-05-17, 13:29
It is absolutely crazy.
Keekee your right but why stop at mental health if they are behaving this way. What about the parent who smokes, likes a drink or two at the weekend, is overweight, you could poke holes in anyones life on the "what if" basis. Haha, I could believe that ! x
Yeah trying all routes xx

ankietyjoe
04-05-17, 15:39
Huh?

Your social worker is (literally) an idiot. There are hundreds of thousands of people who suffer with GAD and have children.

I would guess thousands of them are on here.

I suspect they don't understand the GAD diagnosis and think it's something else entirely.

Cakelady
04-05-17, 15:53
I agree ankietyjoe, totally. Trouble is when these idiots get their claws in its a nightmare getting away.
I dont think they know anything about mental health full stop, disgraceful in this day & age x