PDA

View Full Version : Advice or thoughts on a job-related matter

ServerError
04-05-17, 17:15
I just wondered if anyone had been in a similar situation and had any advice, as I've never had a situation like this before.

Since getting my anxiety under control, I've been looking to get back into work. I was offered a job on Tuesday and accepted it. It wasn't my first choice of all the applications I have out there, but I'm not in a position to turn down an offer, and it's a good job.

Anyway, about an hour after accepting, my first choice job offered me a face-to-face interview. This at the end of a really competitive process of online assessments and telephone interviews. I really want this job and have done well just to reach the final stage. If the interview goes well, I should hear pretty soon afterwards, and I'd want to accept.

So my question is, if I were to be offered that first choice job, I would go about letting down the first one I accepted? Does this happen a lot? Am I legally allowed to do this? My start date is May 22nd, so it's possible I won't have actually started before I find out. They've drawn my contract up and emailed it to me, but I haven't signed anything. But I have accepted the job offer verbally.

MyNameIsTerry
04-05-17, 17:43
If you've received an unconditional job offer, a contract of employment now exists. They may have sent you a conditional one first if checks are needed.

Once in place you need to ask them to let you go. They may ask for the minimum notice period, usually a week so early on. Your contract will hopefully detail this anyway.

If there are restrictive covenants, it seems unlikely you can be bound by them since you never actually started. These are often when it's about competitors.

The only issue to be careful with its breach of contract. The agreeing to let you go or you submitting notice to follow the correct procedure will avoid that anyway. Cover yourself though by doing it all in writing. And remember, sending a letter isn't proof it gets there :winks: (just in case some silly games could be played on their part).

I said all that and then found the damn link:

https://www.gov.uk/job-offers-your-rights

ServerError
04-05-17, 18:03
Thanks Terry.

I'll have a read of the contract and see what it says. It may not even be in force yet. I'm sure this situation occurs from time to time. It's not really in their interests to employ someone who doesn't want to be there.

I'll do whatever I'm contractually obliged to do.

Turns out I haven't actually been sent a contract yet.

Another problem I'll have is if anyone wants a P45 from my last job. It was sent to my old address and I can't get hold of anyone there. The company say they legally can't send another one.

Catherine S
04-05-17, 19:29
You're correct about a replacement p45 ServerError, but you can ask any new employer for a p46 form to fill in. This will give them what they need to work out your tax payments, as without it you'd be paying a higher tax rate.

ISB ☺

ServerError
04-05-17, 20:22
Thanks. I think I'm getting ahead of myself to be honest. These are things that can all be ironed out. I'm just excited to be going back to work.

Catherine S
04-05-17, 20:33
Well done to you, it's a massive achievement and if you can be in a job you know you'll enjoy it will be much less stressful, so I hope you get it all sorted out to your advantage Server. Keep us posted about it all.

ISB ☺ x

MyNameIsTerry
05-05-17, 01:49
Tax codes are very easily sorted. At worst, the first few months get messed up with emergency tax but getting it back is quick & easy.

I wouldn't care too much about leaving so soon. They will naturally be annoyed because of the time and money but the same can be said every time someone leaves.

I've no idea how common it is but obviously enough for .gov to mention it without obscure searches.