PDA

View Full Version : Heart palpitations/skipping beats 💗

Emmy3105
04-05-17, 19:40
Hi ok. So I've been having loads of palpitations over the past few days and they are more often than usual I think???

It just keeps skipping beats and beating weird and it's making me panic slightly. I know palpitations happen to everyone all the time but how do I know when they are something to worry about??

axolotl
04-05-17, 19:51
Scary aren't they? But as you say most of us have palpitations on here, they're part and parcel of anxiety, and they've never done us any harm. The more you panic, the worse they get, out of all the things we have they're probably the worst for that.

I got into a huge spiral once with palpitations and had loads of tests, and once I had the all clear they virtually went away. I have them now and again now, and just see them as an indicator to slow down rather than something to worry about.

I wouldn't want to put you off talking to a GP if they're bothering you, it's your heart and something to look after, but be assured it's one of the most common anxiety symptoms, that gets worse the more you panic about it, and the chances of it being any more than that are remote. But as I say, if you are bothered see a GP - but if (when) they put it down to anxiety, accept you're just a jittery person and move on.

Mindprison
04-05-17, 19:52
Well, I think it's probably routine for anyone who gets palpitations or skipped beats to get a quick check up with the doctor so they can find out if there's any particular reason for them to be happening.

If the doctor checks you over and can't find any real reason for them then it's most likely to be anxiety. Most people will get palpitations at some point in their life and many of them are not serious.

Go see your doc, get a quick check up and see how it goes.

Ethansmom
04-05-17, 22:18
I get them all the time- sometimes every couple beats. It feels like a weird flutter. I found they are worse when I'm anxious or depressed. I've had a 30 day holter monitor and a heart ultrasound- all normal. It's hard for me to accept that these flutter and thuds are normal, but what else can I do? doctors are not concerned. Have you been checked out yet?

bin tenn
05-05-17, 02:43
If they feel the same as they always have, I wouldn't worry too much. I agree with others that perhaps a doc visit is in order of you've never had them confirmed by a doc. Not because I think it's "bad", but because an official "you're fine" from a trained professional can help to gain acceptance that they are indeed harmless. I know how awful it is. They bothered me for a long time.

I had a real cardiac episode last August (nothing severe) and it was very different. There was no mistaking it. But as such, I had an echo and stress test, which were both clear. My old doc also caught several benign palpitations on a week-long event monitor a couple years ago. It took me a while to accept the all clear but I do now. I've actually been feeling palpitations for the past few days, but I believe it's due to general (but temporary) stress in my life, which will resolve in due time.

My point is, see a doc if necessary. And once you're cleared, work on accepting it. Instead of focusing on the sensations, focus on the fact that you know they are harmless.