PDA

View Full Version : Tooth Extraction Fears!

Rellie73
05-05-17, 10:16
Hi,

I have had a dodgy tooth for a few years - have had it filled (twice) but today and large chunk of it fell off. I think it will need to be pulled and I am beside myself with worry. I am concerned the tooth will not come out (because half of it is missing - how are they going to grab hold of it?).

What if there is lots left in the gum because it snaps when they pull it? I am worried about the pain during and after as I am a complete dental phobe!! It is not sore - just annoying (now that a gap is there). I think I have a fairly high pain threshold - am just hopeless at the Dentist.

So worried!!

Jotia
05-05-17, 11:02
I had two teeth pulled a few months back, one top one bottom. The bottom one had a huge hole in it where it had decayed so when he grabbed it, it snapped. If this happenes what they do is use different tools and sometimes a drill to get the remaining pieces of tooth out. It takes a bit longer and there's a lot of poking and prodding so it's uncomfortable but it's not too bad and your be numb so your won't feel any pain. It took about 15 minutes to get mine out and I ended up with 6 stitches in my gum but mine was severely decayed and I had left it for years without even getting it checked and fill. It's better to be prepared for what could happen but you will be fine, mine hurt a bit more than the top one afterwards but painkillers will help. It's likely that it won't even snap anyway but if it does they know what there doing.

I also have a huge dentists phobia too, and I wish they had told me before hand it could snap like that, it's better to be prepared I think.

Stu1980
05-05-17, 15:17
Hi,

I have had a dodgy tooth for a few years - have had it filled (twice) but today and large chunk of it fell off. I think it will need to be pulled and I am beside myself with worry. I am concerned the tooth will not come out (because half of it is missing - how are they going to grab hold of it?).

What if there is lots left in the gum because it snaps when they pull it? I am worried about the pain during and after as I am a complete dental phobe!! It is not sore - just annoying (now that a gap is there). I think I have a fairly high pain threshold - am just hopeless at the Dentist.

So worried!!

Hi Rellie73

Getting an extraction actually helped me to conquer my fear of dentists. I was absolutely petrified of having it done and was in the same position as you. The tooth was half broken off and I wondered how they were going to get it out. There was absolutely no pain, just pressure and when it came out I said 'is that it?'. I felt like I'd absolutely conquered my fear of dentists after that and had a root canal treatment recently with absolutely no anxiety at all.

Please, please don't worry. Get it sorted and then you can stop worrying. If I can do it, then anyone can :-) :bighug1:

unsure_about_this
05-05-17, 15:34
I had baby teeth pulled when I was younger (not because of decay it was to make room for my adult teeth) and had one adult teeth removed in 2006 was filled and could not afford a root canal was not the normal dentist I saw who removed it, I still fear the dentist even though I been for years.
The adult tooth took about less than a couple of minutes to removed, the longest was waiting for the stuff to help remove the tooth.

snowghost57
05-05-17, 15:51
Growing up as a child, my father "drilled", pun intended, to take care of my teeth. I have always taken good care them, I have had quite a few dental issues. In addition I have worked in the dental field. It's a shame the dentist opted to continue to fill a cavity instead of having it crowned. Trust me, dentist do not want to cause unnecessary pain. The tooth will be extracted before you know it and will minimal pain. You will just feel pressure.