PDA

View Full Version : My daughter's bruises

nhelen79
06-05-17, 05:27
Hi all
I've been away for a while, slowly trying to get away from this health anxiety

My daughter is a very active 4 years old. Her both legs are mostly covered with small bruises because she fell, hit herself while running and bang her knee caps while playing a lot. I chart it up to her being her clumpy and active self

However today I notice a small light bluish bruise on her lower left hip and one on her arm (on top of those on her legs). I check her body everyday at bath time and I didn't see this hip one yesterday. I have emailed her doctor requesting a CBC for Monday. It's Friday here and I'm start worrying about the bad stuffs associated with bruises. She is still active and her normal self. No other symptoms. Her last CBC tests were 8 months ago.

If she is not tired and still active, it's probably not anemia or something worse right? My husband thinks I'm worrying too much on this bruise on the hip.

Thanks

NancyW
06-05-17, 12:47
Hips = bones = bumps/bruises

If bruises start showing up on soft belly areas I'd be more concerned.

Kids bang and bump and bruise normally. I'm really sure she's ok.
For your peace of mind, ask the dr when to worry about bruising.

Odd to me that you can request bloodwork...

nhelen79
09-05-17, 03:01
Thanks NancyW. I'm in the US so private insurance allows blood tests if doctor order. I talked to her doctor and she ordered it but assured me that it's for my peace of mind because anemia doesn't present that way. Low palete count is very rare. Since my daughter is active, bruises are normal (this was what she told me on the phone)

Anyway she hasn't have her annual blood test this year so I'll take her in tomorrow.

NancyW
09-05-17, 03:46
I'm in the US too just never thought about telling the dr I want bloodwork, I let them decide if it needs to be done.

I am really sure she's ok :-)

jules321
09-05-17, 14:49
My young child has a lot of leg and hip bruises too. The worry has crossed my mind, but the doctor has seen the bruises and wasn't concerned so neither am I. Please don't put your child through unnecessary testing. Simple blood draws can be traumatic for kids.

Cakelady
09-05-17, 21:23
My four year old has alot of bruises on his legs, but they are just because he is doing what four year olds do, running about, tripping up, just being a kid! It does sound normal, try not to worry xx

snowghost57
09-05-17, 21:32
I'm in the US too just never thought about telling the dr I want bloodwork, I let them decide if it needs to be done.

I am really sure she's ok :-)

I have blood work done once a year and I have to remind my doctor. I don't suffer from HA, I have enough anxieties! It's just a way to monitor my health and I know that my cholesterol etc is in normal ranges.

NancyW, I wouldn't worry to much about bruises, when my grandson was small you would think someone was beating him up on a daily basis. Being an active little boy he was always bumping into things, falling off bicycles, you get the picture. I'm sure your daughter is fine.

nhelen79
10-05-17, 19:34
hi all,
i went ahead with her CBC test, and her white blood cell count is 16 (normal range is 14).
Everything else is in range. the doctor has called me and booked her in for a checkup tomorrow for infection and retest. Problem is she active and not even coughing.

I'm so scared. I'm hoping it's not something serious.

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

hi all,
i went ahead with her CBC test, and her white blood cell count is 16 (normal range is 14).
Everything else is in range. the doctor has called me and booked her in for a checkup tomorrow for infection and retest. Problem is she active and not even coughing.

I'm so scared. I'm hoping it's not something serious.

nhelen79
17-06-17, 00:50
hi all,
my daughter fell from a bench last week at the county fair. She hit her shin.
her shin has a big bruise because of that. it's been a week but it still look brownish and hasn't seem to fade or change color to green/yellow. How long do we expect bruise to fade away for big one? She has her CBC blood tests just last month (4 weeks ago) so she doesnt have blood clotting disorder or something (my logical head talking not the anxiety head)

thanks

NervUs
17-06-17, 02:33
Mine take a long time to go away. LIke weeks. Plural.

clarisse
17-06-17, 02:55
Large bruises can take weeks to go.

AntsyVee
17-06-17, 07:52
I had a deep bruise on my shin when it got caught in the garage door once. It took 2 months to fully heal.

nhelen79
25-09-18, 18:33
my daughter has bruises on her legs very often because she runs all the time and falls a lot. She's one active girl. I'm not worried about that. yesterday i noticed 3 small brownish bruises on the edge of her lower back and a greenish one on her belly. i asked her if she fell or anything at school. she said her friend hugged her and her back hit the chair. she pointed where it hurt (where the bruises are). She's in kindergarten. I'm trying to trust her but will ask her to show me the chair in her classroom to see if that makes sense. i also saw her fell at home hitting her belly from her chair a few days ago. So i'm trying to believe that the bruises are likely trauma related. However, on back of my mind i'm worried about bruises at unexpected places (like back/abdomen). She just had her complete CBC blood tests 4 weeks ago and everything is fine. is it too early to take her to the doctor again? being health anxious doesn't help

thanks for reading

AMomentofClarity
25-09-18, 18:37
She’s 5...why would she lie to you about being hugged and hit with a chair. I think asking her to show you the chair is completely unnecessary.
The fact that annual blood tests were good 4 months ago tells you everything you need to know as well.

nhelen79
25-09-18, 18:39
Hi AMomentofClarity
the blood tests are just last month (4 weeks ago when she had intermittently nose bleed at night so i asked the doctor for complete check. i was afraid of anemia and the L word. they came back fine). I don't think she lied to me but i can't help it getting worried.

Elen
25-09-18, 18:40
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

nhelen79
25-09-18, 18:43
thanks. i was confused for a while. didn't know my threads are merged :)

AMomentofClarity
25-09-18, 19:04
Hi AMomentofClarity
the blood tests are just last month (4 weeks ago when she had intermittentl nose bleed at night so i asked the doctor for complete check. i was afraid of anemia and the L word. they came back fine). I don't think she lied to me but i can't help it getting worried.

Oops, I guess reading isn’t my forte....:)
4 weeks ago is absolutely reason to not go back to the doctor. You’re a mother, having anxiety over your child’s health is normal, but you also have to accept that kids get dinged up, it’s part of growing up.

nhelen79
25-09-18, 19:09
Oops, I guess reading isn’t my forte....:)
4 weeks ago is absolutely reason to not go back to the doctor. You’re a mother, having anxiety over your child’s health is normal, but you also have to accept that kings get dinged up, it’s part of growing up.

thanks. I will not go back to the doctor yet, and watch it. i usually check her body once a day when i bath her without telling her that i check her body. I dont' want her to get the anxiety from me neither, but bruises scare me.

ErinKC
25-09-18, 19:21
My 4 year old is literally covered in bruises. She can't make her way across a room without smashing into something like a bull in a china shop.

nhelen79
25-09-18, 20:05
My 4 year old is literally covered in bruises. She can't make her way across a room without smashing into something like a bull in a china shop.

do they also appear on her back? my daughter's shins are covered with bruises too and i'm not worried about those.

Scass
25-09-18, 20:08
You did this last year already when she bruised herself. Do you have a particular fear over bruising? Her reason sounds very possible, plus she’s 5 and doesn’t need you going to check the chairs in her school.

My daughter is nearly 5 and has new bruises regularly. They’re all over everything at this age. She fell over & grazed her cheek 2 days ago, 3 weeks ago she broke her collarbone. She has a bruise on her thigh from god knows where. My point is, let your daughter be, she is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doxiemama
25-09-18, 23:44
I'm sorry that you are so upset/ concerned over your daughters bruises. I worried for all my children also, but I never, never let them know. I feared they would learn to worry like me. ( that to me is larger than a bruise) that is a bruise that will not go away! This is totally normal for a 5 year old. I'm afraid you are going to upset your daughter by telling her your going to check her, and making a big fuss about seeing the chair. As someone who inherited bad, bad health anxiety from my mom, I would say, please, do not let her know you are checking her, and making a big fuss. Children are so innocent, and they are like a sponge at this point learning from you, and your actions. Let her be a child. You did all the good things a concerned Mother would do, by getting her checked, but now she was checked, and is a wonderful healthy little girl. Please enjoy your days, and years with her, have fun with her, be a strong Mother for her! They grow fast! I hope you feel better soon! its no fun to worry! :hugs: