PDA

View Full Version : Lost my sense of judgement

denim03
06-05-17, 14:24
I've been on this forum before and read some of the threads/posts and today I finally decided to register and become a member on this site. Mainly because I feel hopeless and I don't think anyone can understand me better than people who are going through the same thing as I am.

My problem is that I don't know what's real and what isn't any more? When I get symptoms or believe that I have a certain disease I get this nagging thought at the back of my head that says "is this my health anxiety talking or is something really wrong this time? Should I go to the doctor or will I just get labelled as a hypochondriac?" For instance, I woke up with a slight sore throat and cough on wednesday and since I've been completely convinced this past few months that I have diabetes I forced myself to go for a 5 km power walk and did the same the next day but then I started experiencing sharp chest pain and difficulty breathing and I am now convinced that I have caused myself to get myocarditis (worth noting is that I'd been under a lot of stress a few days before this). The sharp pains in the chest lasted only for a day but I still feel discomfort and have difficulty breathing and a head ache. What did this do? Endless searching on google, crying, anxiety, sleeplessness and I am afraid to move because you have to rest as much as you can when you have myocarditis. Basically, I will do nothing but obsess over this day and night until my symptoms go away or I eventually go to the doctor. I've lost my sense of judgement. I feel like these thoughts and the anxiety that comes with it cripples me and I can spend days and nights and even weeks staying at home and crying and stressing over something I am convinced that I have. My health anxiety has completely taken over my life. My questions is, how do you deal with this? Any helpful tips regarding how to handle these debilitating thoughts are appreciated. How do you manage to have a normal life despite being convinced that you have a dangerous condition/disease? How do you manage to think logically? Or do you always make sure to get confirmation from a doctor?

walkerbull
07-05-17, 01:51
My doctor explained it pretty well. People that don't have very long attention spans, while we narrow our minds onto one symptom and thus we tell our brains to do it. Hence, why it rapidly becomes worse.

Actually, if I think about it my social anxiety was a walk in the park compared to this.

denim03
09-05-17, 21:53
My doctor explained it pretty well. People that don't have very long attention spans, while we narrow our minds onto one symptom and thus we tell our brains to do it. Hence, why it rapidly becomes worse.

Actually, if I think about it my social anxiety was a walk in the park compared to this.

It's pretty crazy what the mind can do. But when something happens or I have certain symptoms I always panic because I can't decide whether my mind is playing tricks on me or if I'm really experiencing them and something is actually wrong this time. I guess this is why a lot of us often end up at the doctors office when we experience symptoms of a certain disease. We simply can't make the same judgements as people without HA. Our judgement gets clouded by panic. When I went to CBT my therapist used to say that going to the doctor is a vicious cycle and that I keep feeding my anxiety every time I go there. But when you have HA and panic you really can't think clear. I guess I made this post to ask how others here manage their HA. I feel helpless, really.

Thank you for taking time to reply.

XX
10-05-17, 02:43
. How do you manage to have a normal life despite being convinced that you have a dangerous condition/disease? How do you manage to think logically? Or do you always make sure to get confirmation from a doctor?

Keep your mind busy. It's easier when you're around other people. Talking about stuff takes your mind off of the constant worry. Take a friend out to lunch or for a few drinks. If you have a dog go to a dog park. Go to a local coffee shop and buy a senior citizen a cup of coffee. They'll probably tell you all kinds of stories. If you prefer to be at home get some puzzles, watch interesting shows that make you think, not just some mindless action flick. Play Tetris or minesweeper.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

denim03
13-05-17, 16:55
Keep your mind busy. It's easier when you're around other people. Talking about stuff takes your mind off of the constant worry. Take a friend out to lunch or for a few drinks. If you have a dog go to a dog park. Go to a local coffee shop and buy a senior citizen a cup of coffee. They'll probably tell you all kinds of stories. If you prefer to be at home get some puzzles, watch interesting shows that make you think, not just some mindless action flick. Play Tetris or minesweeper.

I have noticed that going out and being around people does help to a certain extent. Especially if my anxiety isn't too bad. If my anxiety is over a 7 on a scale of 1-10 then I have a hard time being present and enjoying people's company because my HA gets too overwhelming. I'll try and be more active though. Thank you for taking time to reply and giving suggestions.

XX
13-05-17, 17:07
I have noticed that going out and being around people does help to a certain extent. Especially if my anxiety isn't too bad. If my anxiety is over a 7 on a scale of 1-10 then I have a hard time being present and enjoying people's company because my HA gets too overwhelming. I'll try and be more active though. Thank you for taking time to reply and giving suggestions.

It's different for everyone. I find that being out keeps my mind busy. Even just a drive makes me pay attention to other things