PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone experience body 'jerks' whilst awake

Meriland30
06-05-17, 17:35
I am just curious if what I am experiencing is relatively common. It is not a fasciculation (quivering muscle similar to the ones you get in the eye). I am talking a actual jerk of a muscle, or limb whilst awake, the kind where your neck, or foot, etc move involuntarily..similar to when you fall asleep but very ...VERY mild.

I hear about myoclonic jerks.. which is literally what this is called, and how, aside from falling asleep or taking meds, ANY body jerks whilst awake are considered a symptom of brain disease, and really bad ones too. I have talked to a handful of people about this, using the term 'jerk' to see if they experience it as well and a overwhelming majority go "oh jeez, yeah, all the time" or something.

So my question to you is..

Do you experience these jerks from time to time, like I explained..and are not on any meds that would induce it nor do you have any systemic brain disease?

I would love to really not feel alone, like this is way more common in the normal population than realized.. and not feel like everytime my body jerks (which is VERY infrequent) while awake, that I am dying of something? or have a brain issue?

StirCrazy
06-05-17, 18:38
I've had them (at least what I think you're describing) from time to time . . . though usually when I go to bed (before sleep) . and they are occasional.

I had one last night for example - in my left foot.

Meriland30
06-05-17, 18:58
I've had them (at least what I think you're describing) from time to time . . . though usually when I go to bed (before sleep) . and they are occasional.

I had one last night for example - in my left foot.

Was it before you were 'falling' asleep.. aka, you were laying in bed awake and noticed it jerked? Or were you falling asleep.

StirCrazy
07-05-17, 22:15
Was it before you were 'falling' asleep.. aka, you were laying in bed awake and noticed it jerked? Or were you falling asleep.

That's hard to answer as I don't even notice when/if I'm falling asleep or not.

Though I'm not one that can fall asleep fast or easily, so I'd say it happened when my body was 'at rest' as it was soon after going to bed.

BazB44
08-05-17, 00:25
I'm sure people who are jittery get it. Some people are always on "high alert", the real anxious types. Those types I'm sure get it. I cant remember specifically, but I'm pretty sure Ive had it myself while awake a few times.

TunaFish
08-05-17, 08:49
Im not on meds and I have them.

Sometimes it's like getting 10000 volts through you body.

I knows others who have them, they all suffer from anxiety or stress - so there is a pattern

MyNameIsTerry
11-05-17, 07:41
I hear about myoclonic jerks.. which is literally what this is called, and how, aside from falling asleep or taking meds, ANY body jerks whilst awake are considered a symptom of brain disease, and really bad ones too.

That's incorrect, there are various root cause disorders and not just brain diseases.

For instance:

Physiological myoclonus

This type of myoclonus occurs in normal, healthy people and rarely needs treatment. Examples include:

Hiccups
Sleep starts
Shakes or spasms due to anxiety or exercise
Infant muscle twitching during sleep or after a feeding

Essential myoclonus

Essential myoclonus occurs on its own, usually without other symptoms and without being related to any underlying illness. The cause of essential myoclonus is often unexplained (idiopathic) or, in some cases, hereditary.

You are thinking of Epileptic myoclonus and Symptomatic (secondary) myoclonus.

Notice anxiety is mentioned above. There must be thousands of threads on here about the anxiety root ause, and probably no other one.

ulsbold
19-12-18, 18:06
Hey, I have exactly this happening to me. How are you now ? did you find any answers ?