PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new here! Need some advice please.

Cookie
30-10-04, 12:27
Hi. I've just signed up today. I believe that I'm suffering with a panic disorder. I just wanted to reel off my symptoms to see if anyone else gets the same kind of things. I had a severe allergic reaction to a prescribed drug in hospital about 3 months ago, and ever since then, I have been engulfed with feelings of sheer terror. My heart races and thuds, I feel dizzy as if I'm going to pass out, my chest and neck become incredibly tight and hurt like hell, and I'm convinced I'm going to die. My eyesight goes weird too. I hate it, I really do. The chest and neck pain last over a week at a time though and its getting to the point where I can't bear it anymore. My doctor has sent me for tests on my heart and just prescribed beta blockers for the racing heart and anxiety, but it really isn't helping, I just feel so physically and emotionally drained. For want of a better word, I feel 'drugged' up. I'm sorry this post is so long, I just need to talk to someone that might understand. I'm so low at the moment, I dread going out the house. Is this all just panic? I find it hard to believe my doctor when she says its muscular tension in my chest and neck because the pain is so intense. I just don't know where to turn next.
:(

tara
30-10-04, 12:39
Hi Cookie, It does sound like anxiety related symptoms to me and seeing as your doctor has perscribed you betalockers you must be sufferering with anxiety.

The dizzyness is deffo high anxitey, i used to get it a lot, also the eyesight is another symptom of anxiety.

The tension is because your anxious too and to need to try and find some way of relaxing. Have a good look around this site as it has some wonderful information and support on here.

Take Care of yourself Tara x

seh1980
30-10-04, 12:53
hi Cookie,

Welcome to the site!! It does sound like you are suffering from anxiety. Have you considered going on long-term meds? Beta-blockers deal with the symptoms of anxiety (ie fast heart-beat, dizziness) but there are other meds which would actually deal with your anxiety. Just a thought...

I'm sure you will receive loads of support here!!

Sarah :D

mico
30-10-04, 12:54
These all sound like common anxiety symptoms cookie. Hopefully you'll feel a little more reassured once you get your test results back. Although I don't suffer from it, heart concerns seem to be one of the most common symptoms of anxiety and the majority of people here will be able to tell you about their experiences.

You say you dread going out of the house. I think that statement virtually proves that you are suffering from anxiety. It's important that you recognise this though, and don't stop going out entirely, try not to avoid any situations, however uncomfortable you may feel, or this avoidance begins to become a habit, which once set is hard to get out of.

Try reading the first steps page on the site...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/firststeps.htm

The more you know, the better equipped you are to deal with it.

And Welcome! :D

mico

vernon
30-10-04, 14:08
hi cookie, as they said above it does sound so much like anxiety and tention. I have been suffereing on and off for 40 years on and off and still find it hard to beleive its anxiety cos as you say the chest pains, shortness of breath and tightness is so real. It sounds to me the reaction to the meds you took in hospital started all off to and the constant thingking about it and worry just adds the the fear and creates a vicious circle. I do exactly the same but must try and relax and not worry about it as the fear is only inside you and worrying adds fear to the fear. take care if you feel like a chat pop into our chat room, someone is there every evening and happy to see new chatters take care for now Vernon.

vernon
30-10-04, 14:14
cookie the caht address is
http://pub4.bravenet.com/chat/show.php/342349380
hope to cya soon and take care vernon

carlin
30-10-04, 16:56
Hi Cookie, I honestly believe the symptoms you have are due to anxiety, and your doctor seems to think along the same lines, it is awful, as most people on this site will agree. But in time it may be possible to overcome some of the symptoms, i suffer with the dizziness and eyesight bit, and it scares me to death, i also find it difficult to go out, but i have been taking it step by step and day by day (as advised on this site) and have managed to do some very simple things, please as already suggested read everything you can on this site and keep in touch, it has helped me so much and i'm sure it will you too.

Cookie
30-10-04, 17:43
Thanks everyone for your words of support. I've had my tests through already. Just said I had tachycardia(fast heart beat). I could have told them that! Lol! My main concern is the tightness and pain in my chest and neck though. Just wondered if anyone else got that too? Is it normal to feel really down and just not really 'with it'? I feel so out of place wherever I go, like I want to run away and hide! I would if I wasn't so scared my heart was gonna pop out my chest! Lol! [Sigh...] I try to make a joke of things but it is getting me down so much lately. My doctor just keeps putting my beta blockers up everytime I go and see her. It's not beta blockers that I need. I think they're making me feel a bit out of it anyway. Sorry for moaning, just need to get a few things off my chest.

davebrum
30-10-04, 19:19
hi cookie i have had all your symptons especialy the tight neck which i still get from time to time. have you been diagnosed as having anxiety?
you have come to exactly the right place to get all the support and help you need. half the battle is knowing what you have the other half is asking for help - sounds like you are doing all the right things
x david x

BE YOURSELF, ALL THE COLOURS YOU ARE

mico
31-10-04, 18:01
Cookie, what you are describing sounds exactly like anxiety. all common symptoms. The 'not feeling with it' for example is experienced by many people here. It is called derealisation, or depersonalisation (don't ask which, I keep getting them mixed up :)), and is one of your bodies defence mechanisms for dealing with high levels of anxiety/stress. I think Nic talks about it in her story, somewhere on the site.

Wanting to run or hide is called 'fight or flight', which you may well have heard of before. Whenever you are in a panicky situation, then your body will release adrenilin and such giving you a strong urge to either fight, or flight. It's very difficult to sit in the middle and do nothing, but that is what we have to do basically.

Feeling drained is all part of it too, it's hard work being anxious all the time!

And as for the chest symptoms, like I said before, I don't suffer from them, but it is probably the single most common anxiety symptom around, but is completely harmless. Of course, your anxious mind will refuse to believe that, you've just got to learn to turn that around and recognise these symptoms for what they are....harmless.

Hope this helps

mico

tt
02-11-04, 01:37
Hi Cookie,
You are definetly having the anxiety symptoms. I am not one for meds, especially beta blockers. Anxiety can be eazed by meds but the true cure is with in you. You have to accept that all those symptoms are self inflicted. I still have them myself and can stop and talk to myself(not out loud) and calm myself down. We unfortunately are our own worst enemy. I can assure you all your symptoms will be listed on this site somewhere. The key is learning that this is you are in control and not let your mind take you to those extremes. I did have luck with a book that someone recommended from this site and I did get alot of relief from it. Dr. Claire Weekes. - Self help for your nerves. It is about 20.00 canadian so U.S will be cheaper. This was my bible for a few months and when ever I felt this way, I would pull this out. It did help me, and I hope this can help someone too.

TT:)

jill
02-11-04, 19:06
Hi Cookie,

Welcome to the site.

There 2 things you must remember.
You are not alone and you can fight this,
with alot of hard work support and time
you will see less of Mr Panic.
You have come to the right place.

How are you feeling now?

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

Do it trembling if you must, but do it!

jo-jo
02-11-04, 21:30
Hi Cookie

Sorry to hear about all the horrible symptoms you've been experiencing but I agree with everyone else in that they do all sound like symptoms of anxiety. Often a life event can trigger these attacks off and you've got a perfectly legitimate reason for yours starting - wow - what a horrible experience that must have been.

I get the tight neck, chest pain and thudding heart and I spend far too much time checking up on my pulse, even though I know fine well its anxiety I'm suffering from.

Hope that you start to feel better really soon, we're always here and will do our best to help.

Love Jo xx

Meg
02-11-04, 22:07
Hi Cookie ,

I missed this along the way somehow . Sorry.

What medication did you have an allergic reaction to and what happened ?

What are you doing to help yourself each day ?

Some exercise will help your chest pain , a massage will help neck and chest pain . These are both caused by tight muscles holding the tension.

Are you learning to relax and let go of the anaphylaxis reaction . Hypnosis may help if you're struggling with that event still.

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

seh1980
03-11-04, 01:14
hi Cookie,

I have tightness in my chest the whole time and it used to worry me loads. The way I dealt with it was by forgetting about it. Every time I found myself acknowledging the sensation, I would try my best to distract myself and try to forget about it. I have now noticed that the tightness in my chest has almost disappeared completely...

Sarah :D

Cookie
06-11-04, 15:49
Hi everyone,
Actually managed to go out for a bite to eat today. Felt ok when I first got there, but waiting for the meal to arrive was a test to say the least. I survived though, so thats one good thing! Been feeling pretty crappy lately mind you. Feel more physically ill then stressed and anxious. Suppose thats my bodys way of showing stress. Answering your question Meg, it was a muscle relaxant called buscopan that I had the allergic reaction to:(, scary stuff. I just went in for a barium x-ray on my bowels but I was too tense down there[:I], so they had to relax my muscles with an injection. Didn't quite go to plan though. I still get flashbacks from it all occasionally, but I am starting to get over it.:D It just frightened me for a while, think it was the helplessness, and knowing that I might die that has haunted me a bit. I do believe that is what has triggered all this, the panic attacks and me avoiding going out. I've never been what you'd call a chilled person though, always have been one for worrying. I just can't get over how ill these panic attacks make me feel afterwards. I feel really poorly for weeks after a bad one. Which then leads to more attacks. I keep convincing myself the doctors have missed something majorly wrong with me, some serious illness, I think I'm becoming quite neurotic actually. Is that normal? Ha! My partner's reading this over my shoulder and he just told me that I've never been normal. The cheek of it!:D Hope everyone else is doing ok anyway, and not too panicky!

nomorepanic
06-11-04, 18:16
Hi Cookie

I missed this post too - sorry for the belated welcome.

I am going to read all the posts to catch up but pleased to see that you found us and I hope we can help you to get over this.

Tell your partner that we are all mad on here so you are in safe hands [:P]:);)

Nicola

april tones
11-11-04, 00:04
hi all, sorry its been so long! thats if everyone still remebers me! cookie- sorry to hear of your troubles, i have been in your shoes but it was my own fault as i took illegal drugs for 3 years then one night had major reaction and one big panick attack, i only got better a year and half later but then wen i gave birth last year i was lucky to be diagnosed with post natal deppression. I was scared of people drugging me, eating certain foods, taking meds but im better now, im on effexor and dont have problems any more, it does get better, its just because it happened its in your head, take care, love april x

apriltones