PDA

View Full Version : Social anxiety in teen

Baize40
07-05-17, 14:46
I am caring for a young 15 year old lad that has been through some traumatic family issues. The boy has always been very shy but the past few months the boy has been shutting himself away in his room and hasn't mixed and refuses to talk to anyone and been too anxious to go to school.

The past week I have gently coaxed him out of his room, I know I have to go very very slowly with him but would really like some advice though on how to begin the conversation to get him to open up to help deal with some of the emotional and communication issues, without him feeling that I am hassling him, or perhaps some good books on the subject that I can read up on .

Bee84
07-05-17, 17:29
I was like that as a teen and its still a problem for me I'm very sad to say at age 32.

I just needed someone to trust to spill all my guts and "weirdness" to. It came down to mistrusting grown ups and peers too. It could be there was abuse from a relative. Or someone he liked at school wasn't interested in him. Harsh criticsm/bullying from teachers or classmates. It could be a low key drug and drink addiction. Or maybe he just feels left behind by old friendships.

These could be issues slowly and secretly consuming his mind. He's being defensive and I believe its because he's guarding a secret so just ask him specific and direct questions on the above issues and more.

I had abuse past abuse I swore I'd take to the grave. Also an addiction to daydreaming (termed maladaptive daydreaming) born out of a very strong aversion to criticism and social humiliation. Hiding away in your room all the time can be a big part of this childish coping strategy.

I know I don't know him, but you do. Follow your instincts. What was your initial impression of what was going on for this kid?